By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Avatar Becomes the Top Grossing Film of all Time Once Again

SKMBlake said:

I always hated that metric, it's more important to see how many people went to see the movie rather than how much it grossed.

Like with consoles, we like to count the units sold, not the revenue. I guess though, for managers/CEOs the revenue is more important.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 25 March 2021

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
SKMBlake said:

I always hated that metric, it's more important to see how many people went to see the movie rather than how much it grossed.

Like with consoles, we like to count the units sold, not the revenue. I guess though, for managers/CEOs the revenue is more important.

Idk if US-only but in France for eg we count how many tickets were sold, so the most popular films are based on how many people went to see the movies.

And the 1st spot remains Titanic, with 21 million people.

SKMBlake said:

Tbh, revenue numbers are funnier to follow than ticket sales 

Plus they are actually more important than ticket sales from a business standpoint 

SKMBlake said:
Mnementh said:

Idk if US-only but in France for eg we count how many tickets were sold, so the most popular films are based on how many people went to see the movies.

Yeah, counting it that way may move the top spots, as cinema tickets tend to get more expensive. I also think the number of people that watched it is more important, alone as it says something about the cultural impact. How many people know this movie and it's scenes.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 25 March 2021

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

IcaroRibeiro said:
SKMBlake said:

Plus they are actually more important than ticket sales from a business standpoint 

Why funnier ?

And yes indeed, from a business standpoint, but when it comes to records and "biggest" type of lists, revenue is less important from my perspective.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:

What happened to the Avatar sequels? They've been in development hell for years, are they still even being made?

Avatar 2 is basically complete at this point, Avatar 3 was finishing filming late last year and Avatar 4 is being filmed now as well in New Zealand. I imagine most filming for Avatar 5, the last of the four sequels currently in production, will be complete too by the release date of Avatar 2 next year (it was supposed to release this year, but pandemic and all I guess).

This is more of a Lord of the Rings-esque superproduction than a "one sequel at a time" approach.

SKMBlake said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Why funnier ?

And yes indeed, from a business standpoint, but when it comes to records and "biggest" type of lists, revenue is less important from my perspective.

It's more exciting to follow box office because it makes the rankings, records and predictions changing almost every year

One thing that was depressing about following music sales is how the market was plummeting every year and record sales decrease fast as well

haxxiy said:
Darwinianevolution said:

What happened to the Avatar sequels? They've been in development hell for years, are they still even being made?

Avatar 2 is basically complete at this point, Avatar 3 was finishing filming late last year and Avatar 4 is being filmed now as well in New Zealand. I imagine most filming for Avatar 5, the last of the four sequels currently in production, will be complete too by the release date of Avatar 2 next year (it was supposed to release this year, but pandemic and all I guess).

This is more of a Lord of the Rings-esque superproduction than a "one sequel at a time" approach.

Boy, I cannot imagine how much of a gamble that is. Avatar was the hottest movie in 2009, but it's been more than a decade since then. If Avatar 2 doesn't capture the success of the first one, I can't imagine how much money lost we'd be talking about then.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

SKMBlake said:
Mnementh said:

BoxOfficeMojo's Top Lifetime Adjusted Grosses chart does give an idea of which movies were seen by more people: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross_adjusted/?adjust_gross_to=2020

Using that chart, Gone With the Wind is #1 by a comfortable margin and Avatar and Endgame fall down to #15 and #16 respectively.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 25 March 2021

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
SKMBlake said:

BoxOfficeMojo's Top Lifetime Adjusted Grosses chart does give an idea of which movies were seen by more people: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross_adjusted/?adjust_gross_to=2020

Using that chart, Gone With the Wind is #1 by a comfortable margin and Avatar and Endgame falls down to #15 and #16 respectively.

Thanks, quite an interesting chart. Yes, it is estimated based on grosses and ticket prices at the time, but it should be the right ballpark. Now older movies are much more present. And what I said about cultural impact is more bound to how many watched a movie - that feels true about Gone with the wind. Albeit that old the cultural impact is still felt. Similar with the first Star Wars, E.T., Titanic and Jaws. Sound of Music and the Ten Commandments are more surprising though.