By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Avatar Becomes the Top Grossing Film of all Time Once Again

TruckOSaurus said:
SKMBlake said:

Idk if US-only but in France for eg we count how many tickets were sold, so the most popular films are based on how many people went to see the movies.

And the 1st spot remains Titanic, with 21 million people.

BoxOfficeMojo's Top Lifetime Adjusted Grosses chart does give an idea of which movies were seen by more people: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross_adjusted/?adjust_gross_to=2020

Using that chart, Gone With the Wind is #1 by a comfortable margin and Avatar and Endgame falls down to #15 and #16 respectively.

Thanks, that's reaaally nice, with the estimated ticket numbers, love it.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
SKMBlake said:

Idk if US-only but in France for eg we count how many tickets were sold, so the most popular films are based on how many people went to see the movies.

And the 1st spot remains Titanic, with 21 million people.

BoxOfficeMojo's Top Lifetime Adjusted Grosses chart does give an idea of which movies were seen by more people: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross_adjusted/?adjust_gross_to=2020

Using that chart, Gone With the Wind is #1 by a comfortable margin and Avatar and Endgame fall down to #15 and #16 respectively.

This is US only

Disney knows that the Avatar sequels need the buzz of being follow ups to the most successful movie of all time. The crown means more to that franchise than it does to Marvel.

Darwinianevolution said:
haxxiy said:

Boy, I cannot imagine how much of a gamble that is. Avatar was the hottest movie in 2009, but it's been more than a decade since then. If Avatar 2 doesn't capture the success of the first one, I can't imagine how much money lost we'd be talking about then.

Yes, but, I mean, it's James Cameron we're talking about here. I bet each of these are guaranteed one billion dollars from US and China alone.

IcaroRibeiro said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Using that chart, Gone With the Wind is #1 by a comfortable margin and Avatar and Endgame fall down to #15 and #16 respectively.

This is US only

Yes it is. Sadly, I don't think there's a worldwide version of it.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

This is US only

Yes it is. Sadly, I don't think there's a worldwide version of it.

Wikipedia has a list, not sure about how accurate it is

Highest-grossing films as of 2020 adjusted for inflation[32][Inf]
RankTitle
Worldwide gross
(2020 $)
Year
1Gone with the Wind$3,739,000,0001939
2AvatarA$3,286,000,0002009
3TitanicT$3,108,000,0001997
4Star Wars$3,071,000,0001977
5Avengers: EndgameAE$2,823,000,0002019
6The Sound of Music$2,572,000,0001965
7E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial$2,511,000,0001982
8The Ten Commandments$2,377,000,0001956
9Doctor Zhivago$2,253,000,0001965
10Star Wars: The Force Awakens$2,221,000,0002015

IcaroRibeiro said:
TruckOSaurus said:

This is US only

Pretty Certain its US and Canada, but I could be mistaken

badskywalker said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

This is US only

Pretty Certain its US and Canada, but I could be mistaken

You're right 

Disney beginning to market the sequel by slowly releasing the original that everyone forgot what it was about?

If Disney wants the sequel to succeed they'll need to hold off until theatres are opened again worldwide and watching movies in 3D is still a thing. Because watching Avatar in 3D is like wearing beer goggles, the moment you take off the glasses you know you'd rather be looking at something else.

V-r0cK said:

Disney beginning to market the sequel by slowly releasing the original that everyone forgot what it was about?

They didn't, actually. Last year, the China Film Administration reached Disney for the distribution rights to re-release some older titles. Since Cameron's past movies were distributed by Fox, and Fox is owned by Disney now, that's the result.