By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: New Nvidia GPU For New Switch, 4K DLSS Graphics + Better CPU + More RAM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-23/nintendo-to-use-new-nvidia-graphics-chip-in-2021-switch-upgrade

The new Switch iteration will support Nvidia’s Deep Learning Super Sampling, or DLSS, a novel rendering technology that uses artificial intelligence to deliver higher-fidelity graphics more efficiently. That will allow the console, which is also set for an OLED display upgrade, to reproduce game visuals at 4K quality when plugged into a TV, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plan is not public.

Also will have an upgraded CPU and more memory (RAM). Will cost more than existing Switch ($350-$400 estimate).

Bloomberg has confirmed this with *multiple* sources. 

DLSS means the GPU has to be either Turing or Ampere-based because older Nvidia generation GPUs (such as the current Switch Mariko chip or even the Pascal chip) can't perform DLSS. 

Around the Network

Please no OLED. Looking at the flagship smartphones by Samsung I've got, they all ended with burn-in issues. IMO, I would prefer LCD.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:

Please no OLED. Looking at the flagship smartphones by Samsung I've got, they all ended with burn-in issues. IMO, I would prefer LCD.

I said the same thing a few weeks back when a new switch rumor come out lol.

100% agree until Samsung get their shit together and get their OLED screens to what they used to be prior 2017

At this point, a Switch Pro honestly feels more desirable then a next-gen console (at least until they fix their game library).

Bring it on I say!

shikamaru317 said:

Another source said they are targeting a 20% price increase over Switch, which would be $360. Would likely coincide with a price drop for Switch and Switch Lite if $360 happens for Switch Pro, probably $260 for Switch and $160 for Switch Lite I would guess.

I'm also hearing that developers will be able to release games on Switch Pro that don't release on Switch and Switch Lite, for instance one source is saying that a Resident Evil 8 port will be available for Switch Pro this fall.

I don't think a price cut is gonna happen (aside from like Black Friday deals). Nintendo sells everything they ship, they know people will pay more for a higher end Switch so that'll just be priced more.

The days of price cuts for hardware being things hardware manufacturers really rely on seem to be coming to an end, I think they did the math and the number of extra units you have to sell versus the lower amount you take home per unit just doesn't make sense. 

Around the Network

I'm still not convinced. Seems like such a large jump for 'just' a pro-version. I'm expecting people to be disappointed.

S.Peelman said:

I'm still not convinced. Seems like such a large jump for 'just' a pro-version. I'm expecting people to be disappointed.

I think being with Nvidia makes a big difference. 

They had AMD with the GCN/Wii/Wii U but they basically locked themselves into the GameCube design and then were kind of beholden to that straight through the Wii U, so they ended up with an underpowered chip that was still expensive just to keep compatibility with the Wii. 

Soundwave said:
S.Peelman said:

I think being with Nvidia makes a big difference. 

They had AMD with the GCN/Wii/Wii U but they basically locked themselves into the GameCube design and then were kind of beholden to that straight through the Wii U, so they ended up with an underpowered chip that was still expensive just to keep compatibility with the Wii. 

True, could be I'm personally still a bit blinded by how things were before. We'll see, I'd actually be in the market for a good upgrade of my Switch.

In my opinion, the LG OLED-TVs have no burn-in issue. I and my friends played thousands of hours for 6 years now.

Not sure about samsung.

shikamaru317 said:

Another source said they are targeting a 20% price increase over Switch, which would be $360. Would likely coincide with a price drop for Switch and Switch Lite if $360 happens for Switch Pro, probably $260 for Switch and $160 for Switch Lite I would guess.

I'm also hearing that developers will be able to release games on Switch Pro that don't release on Switch and Switch Lite, for instance one source is saying that a Resident Evil 8 port will be available for Switch Pro this fall.

If switch sells at $299 they won't drop its price. A $399 Switch Pro is a luxury for existing owners or those looking to have the best experience for core games. 

But the thing about exclusives games is just reminding me why I thought a Switch 2 in 2022 would be better then a mid-gen update. This is really sounding like DSi type situation where they're putting consumers onto a short lived platform (2 years) instead of waiting a bit longer  to put them onto the next generation platform. Unless this is a bigger leap than we're expecting at its essentially the entry level Switch 2.