By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 9, 2021 (Feb 22 - Feb 28)

Tagged games:

We are that point in the Switch's life where 3rd party games are starting to pull their weight.  The Switch had no big first party title for the holidays and yet stock is in short supply here at the end of February.  Instead, Momotaro was the big holiday game, and this week we get 2 titles that sold about 300k combined.  3D World is also selling better than 3D All Stars. 

We are not even to Monster Hunter Rise yet!  Nintendo needs to step up their shipments to Japan.  I doubt they were prepared for the third party titles to do so well, but now that they are, they need to step up these shipments ASAP.

Around the Network

Great week for Ps5. But where are the games?

How is there no PS5 games making it in the top 10 with 33k.. still great to see it start to pick up a little. Previous stocks were alarming, this is okay.
Nintendo is definitely holding on stocks for the MH launch. It is still doing better than last year tho.
Wish BD2 would have crossed the 100k milestone, although it will with digital. So with that it should be on par with the original game i think.
SoS, great numbers.

huge increase for Xbox X/s. It went from 230 to 1487. That shows it sells what they ship.

Nice to see PS5 sales increasing. I want it to do well enough to get good third party Japanese support so at least a decent amount of Japanese games benefit from the big increase in power compared to the PS4. Persona 6 for example not being technically better than 5 would be a shame.

Around the Network

PS5 software sales will continue to have issues; the two main factors for this are

• No major titles on the system until Resident Evil: Village which is two months away
  • Scalpers reselling PS5 bought in Japan overseas

From my perspective without major PS5 titles, there is no reason to purchase software - you can buy second hand PS4 games and play those. Considering the software line-up the people buying PS5 are hardcore enthusiasts who might already have a pretty large library of PS4 games.  

While scalpers elevate the problem by effectively removing part of the potential audience, if even 1/5 of the hardware is being sold overseas for profit it means that 1/5 of the audience is actually not there to purchase physical software in Japan. 

Overall  PlayStation Ecosystem makes up less than 5% of new software sales this year, this is due to a lack of any major titles in 2021, if we look further back into PS4/PS5 software sales since October the picture is very clear, the only games that surpassed 100K are Cold War & Cyberpunk 2077. Cold War saw further decline for the franchise in Japan, while Cyberpunk 2077 was a buggy mess that was unable to sell it's initial shipment. After December the highest selling new game on the PlayStation Ecosystem is Disgaea 6 with 18K sales... 

Top 10 PS4/PS5 Games October till Resident Evil: Village

1. [PS4/PS5] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War (November) - 173.463
  2. [PS4] Cyberpunk 2077 (December) - 115.813
  3. [PS4] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (November) - 77.240
  4. [PS4/PS5] Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (November) - 70.425
  5. [PS4/PS5] Assassin's Creed: Valhalla (October) - 65.572
  6. [PS4] Shin Megami Tensei III (October) - 62.511
  7. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI S (December) - 61.063
  8. [PS4] FIFA 21 (October) - 60.129
  9. [PS4] Watch Dogs: Legion (October) - 56.656
  10. [PS4] Atelier Ryza 2 (December) - 51.861

Nothing is charting because there is nothing to chart... I also don't think Village will manage more than 50K sales on the PS5 and the franchise will further decline across the PS4/PS5 ending with around 150K to 200K lifetime sales. 

The line-up and supply for Japan so far is abysmal, and now the PS5 faces much fiercer competition for Third Party support compared to the PS4/PS3 launches. 

Louie said:
Otter said:

Hopefully now people who were comparing PS5 to Wii U can see that its a stock limitation and not lack of demand. There is no visible brand crisis as was being implied by many,

Well, it's a complicated matter, isn't it? Weekly sales of the PS5 are healthy now so that's a good sign. On the other hand software is still nowhere to be found in the charts, so it looks like this is still launch demand. We have to keep in mind the PS5 is at 422k lifetime sales right now. The Wii U had sold that after two weeks. The 3DS was at almost 600k after two weeks. The PS4 was at 500k after two months. (I'm using the VGChartz comparison tool so I hope these numbers are accurate).

I certainly wouldn't say there is a "brand crisis" in Japan for Playstation consoles, but Sony's market is shrinking (even though I'm sure not many people expect the PS5 to sell as bad as the Wii U). Even if we expect the PS5 to sell 10 million units lifetime, that's still a drop of almost 6 million units compared to the PS4 + Vita install base. The question remains: Is the current level of hardware and software sales enough to attract a large amount of Japanese third party support? And will the console sell better or worse than PS4? Because Playstation consoles (in contrast to Nintendo hardware) have actually needed good third party support in the past to sell well in Japan. If the install base is not big enough more third parties could release their games on Nintendo consoles, which would result in lower hardware sales for the PS5. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

But that's just it, its quite simple in that we're looking at system which hasn't been well stocked. Not much more can be said beyond that (it also has a carry on effect for software). Not so different from the PS4 but instead of delaying the launch like PS4, Sony simply gave Japan crumbs from a "global launch". But there was a fair amount of doom and gloom based on pre-february numbers whereas those numbers meant very little and we really won't see what the demand is til later in the year. 

Regarding software, for as long as places outside Japan still see playstation carry the majority or just a high portion of sales for many titles (Persona Strikers for example), I don't think sony has too much to worry about in terms of loosing support (Until Switch 2 at least). As far as more niche/Japanese local hits, I think its a given that Playstation has lost 90% of exclusivity there but those aren't normally the system sellers. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:

We are that point in the Switch's life where 3rd party games are starting to pull their weight.  The Switch had no big first party title for the holidays and yet stock is in short supply here at the end of February.  Instead, Momotaro was the big holiday game, and this week we get 2 titles that sold about 300k combined.  3D World is also selling better than 3D All Stars. 

We are not even to Monster Hunter Rise yet!  Nintendo needs to step up their shipments to Japan.  I doubt they were prepared for the third party titles to do so well, but now that they are, they need to step up these shipments ASAP.

Not just japan, they need to step up shipments period.

xMetroid said:

How is there no PS5 games making it in the top 10 with 33k.. still great to see it start to pick up a little. Previous stocks were alarming, this is okay.
Nintendo is definitely holding on stocks for the MH launch. It is still doing better than last year tho.
Wish BD2 would have crossed the 100k milestone, although it will with digital. So with that it should be on par with the original game i think.
SoS, great numbers.

There haven't even been PS5 games in the top 30, not in 2021.  I have to wonder if these systems would still sell as well without backwards compatibility.  It seems like the PS4 is still tracking ahead of PS5 sales and it was not backwards compatible.  I don't think it had any notable games at launch either.  Some people simply want to buy a new Playstation for no good reason.

I'm glad that PS4 is selling but what the hell are those people buying?

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also