By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Since last update I've finished Castlevania: Nocturne, Chucky S1-S2, What We Do in the Shadows S5, The Wheel of Time S2, One Piece (Netflix), Upload S3, The Fall of the House of Usher and The English. Hopefully I can get below 100 episodes on my backlog before 2024, I'm not even below 200 yet

Around the Network

Pluto on netflix is one of the best sci fi series i saw in a long time. Anime fans need to watch it. Its from. "monster" creator

My Little Pony Tell Your Tale. Opaline is the most useless villain in My Little Pony history.

I watched Life on Earth recently on Netflix. Morgan Freeman's voice is great to fall asleep with. The animal CGI is a bit disappointing tbh, rest looks great.

Gen V: Not quite the same caliber as The Boys, but still has the same spirit and themes. The finale took an interesting turn and I'm eager to see what happens next. Glad it got picked up for another season.

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:

Gen V: Not quite the same caliber as The Boys, but still has the same spirit and themes. The finale took an interesting turn and I'm eager to see what happens next. Glad it got picked up for another season.

Same!

I like it, but living up to the parent show was always going to be difficult. Will keep on watching for sure.

I'm re-watching Six Feet Under currently, I did see some of when it released, but suspect I was too young to appreciate it. It's a truly brilliant show with concepts and narrative and cinematic structures that make a huge impact.

Started Invincible season 2 as well, but they're a weekly release, so not much to report yet. Thinking of watching Onimusha on Netflix - love the art-style!

Closer to Christmas, I'll be having my annual themed movie/TV nights. LotR marathon first, followed by Band of Brothers, and then the Historical Epic night with Braveheart, Gladiator, 300, Troy etc. I think I'll be getting the Game of Thrones 4K collection as well, and might even get a new TV in January (as a 40th birthday present to myself).

Lost Ollie: This one slipped me by as it apparently didn't get much promotion (can't even find it on Netflix's YT channel, ffs). Beautifully made, but it unfortunately straddles this no man's land where it's sometimes too childish for adults and often too sad or dark for children. I guess Netflix wasn't sure where it ultimately belonged either and kinda buried it. Would have been tighter as a feature film too, but still worth a watch regardless.

For All Mankind season 4. The second episode just aired. It looks like the Soviet hardliner coup against Gorbachev has just happened, except in 2003 instead of 1991. The Mars colony, known as Happy Valley, is like the International space station on a larger scale with planetary and asteroid mining business interests - there are over 700 people in the colony from a variety of countries (especially the US and USSR), as well as the private space company Helios.
A class system has developed in Happy Valley. The service crew that are serfs to Helios (who are a private company that both competes and works with the Soviet a space program and NASA), basically, they have to serve two years or they’ll be fined 150,000 USD. The elites (cosmonauts, scientists, and engineers) live on the surface colony, which is a sprawl of houses and primary facilities. But the majority live underground, as it’s much cheaper to be shielded from the radiation to expand underground. The underground society kind of resembles prison, they even have a charming Russian guy (Ilya) who “can get you stuff” - he makes his own vodka.

The show as a whole is shifting more toward Mars, and away from earth. But that original pub, The Outpost, from the 60s (beginning of season 1) is still a part of the show. Kelly Baldwin and Aleida Rosales (who quit NASA) met there to plan a privately funded expedition to Mars, seeking private backers. They also got smashed.

I also recently finished a re-watch of seasons 1-3, the show is probably not for everyone, as it’s not an action or superhero show, but it’s my current favourite show going, at the moment.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Watching more Bluey because I much prefer adorable Australian cartoon dog antics over scumbag ranchers who promote outdated values.

The Marvels: Heard some pretty divisive things about this one. In the end it wasn't bad. I actually skipped Ms. Marvel out of disinterest but ended up liking her character (and her family) more than I expected so I may double back and check it out. Its highs don't reach very far but neither do its lows and in the end I was rarely bored which is more than I can say of some other Marvel entries.

Spoiler!
Beast looks awesome! Bring on the X-Men, already!