By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I've been doing a bit of an animation semi-marathon since January, a thing I've been thinking about doing for a while now. Always felt like I kinda neglected animations in general, not sure why, but anyways, it was something worth fixing. So I've been trying to watch an animated movie every night, sometimes it's a rewatch of something I haven't seen in decades, sometimes it's something new, really it all feels kinda new.

Of course the "every night" thing doesn't quite work out, sometimes it goes dormant for a while. I've seen 21 films so far, today will actually be the first time I make it 7 nights in a row. So yeah, I'm not too good with consistently watching movies

Anyway, just felt like sharing that. Not so sure about expressing an opinion on each of the movies, it'd get a bit overwhelming.

edit: Nah that's stupid ok I'll make a summary of how it's been going so far and put it in spoiler tags

Spoiler!

January
16th | Grave of the Fireflies (10)
17th | Mulan (7)
18th | 101 Dalmatians (7)
19th | The Jungle Book (6)

February
2nd | Spirited Away (9)
4th | My Neighbor Totoro (7)
5th | Big Fish & Begonia (4)
7th | Shrek (8)
12th | Inside Out (8)
28th | Shrek 2 (8)

March
1st | Shrek the Third (2)
3rd | Shrek Forever After (5)
4th | Puss in Boots (5)
4th | Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (10)
I may have spent the rest of March rewatching The Last Wish endlessly

April
5th | The Super Mario Bros. Movie (4)
13th | The Bad Guys (7)
14th | Princess Mononoke (9)
15th | The Emperor's New Groove (3)
16th | The Lion King (10)
17th | Chicken Run (6)
18th | Monsters, Inc. (6)
19th | Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio (8)

Scores out of 10 in parenthesis
Movies in italic are rewatches, though most of them I hadn't seen in a very long time, certainly not in adulthood

I will try to put more effort into getting myself to want to watch the Pixar films, it's just not happening so far

this is basically my way of making up for how sad my posts have been on List of Games You've Beaten 2023

Last edited by mZuzek - on 20 April 2023

Around the Network

I watched Power Rangers: Once & Always on Netflix purely out of childhood nostalgia (as somebody who hasn’t cared to watch anything past season 3 back in the day when they went Zeo, Alien, Turbo, etc.), it was a nice piece of nostalgia, but also a bit of a letdown. Not (fully) having the big 3 really stung, though

Spoiler!
technically all the original Rangers WERE there. I thought for sure Adam would be the new Green Ranger, but they just dance around Tommy not showing up out-of-gear and JYB is just reduced to a glorified cameo.

There were some glaring plot holes, too.

Spoiler!
At one point, Rita conveniently and abruptly stops attacking the Command Center, allowing the Rangers to escape in one piece. I was like “WTF?”

Loved seeing the original Megazord again and Billy really kept everything together narratively, though the Megazord battle was kinda underwhelming with not-so-great CGI to boot. Apparently they’ve learned nothing from the first movie going with CGI over toy robot model zords. Seriously.

It was a solid one-time nostalgic watch, but nothing I’d want to revisit. I teared up for the Trini and Tommy tribute at the end, though, R.I.P. Jason David Frank. Once a Ranger, always a Ranger.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Once and Always. Without any spoilers, all I can say is I couldn't help but cry at the end. :(

Finally got around to seeing Wakanda Forever and I'm just absolutely shocked at finding out that there is a 2022 MCU movie that actually has something to say. It felt unique and different, it felt like a director really wanted to make it, even if it's clear to see where the studio is getting in his way because the script gets rather messy and convoluted, and it ruins the pacing. It felt way too long for its own good. But anyhow, just for being a Marvel movie with a soul, in this day and age is something I can really respect.

edit: I went into this thinking it'd be the second-to-last MCU movie I'd care to watch, the last being Guardians 3 of course. Now, I think if they do a Black Panther 3 with Ryan Coogler still on it, I might be down.

Last edited by mZuzek - on 22 April 2023

Looney Tunes Cartoons. One of the only good cartoons left on Max after David Zaslav's incompetence butchered the service.

Around the Network

I saw Evil Dead Rise last night after completing my Evil Dead marathon throughout the week, movie was excellent. The high rise apartment was a great change of pace from the usual cabin (in the woods, lol) and it makes for some damn good set pieces and bloody good horror. Oh yes, it offers plenty of that, which is what you come to an Evil Dead movie to see. The kills are, dare I say, creatively brutal.

But I really liked the family dynamic as well. The family was surprisingly well-written. You actually care about their safety when it gets to the shameless brutality and when it does, the mom (Ellie) is probably one of the creepiest horror movie villains I've seen in years. She steals the show when the whole demonic possession happens and blood hits the fan. She provides some nice (foul) comedic relief as well.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 23 April 2023

Finally watched Slither last night and was kinda shocked at how good it was. I mean I shouldn't be surprised, it's James Gunn, but for some reason I didn't have high hopes for it. It was super gross and disturbing but also funny and exciting at the same time. The whole movie treads this weird ground where you don't know if you're supposed to be scared or laughing, but really it's both. Which is exactly what I should expect from Gunn.

Thinking about rewatching Super tonight, been a long time since I saw that one. I don't remember it being as good though.

Last edited by mZuzek - on 28 April 2023

^ I saw Super for the first time a few months ago. I'd say it holds up pretty well. You can really see where The Suicide Squad came from.

TallSilhouette said:

^ I saw Super for the first time a few months ago. I'd say it holds up pretty well. You can really see where The Suicide Squad came from.

Funny enough Slither reminded me a lot of Peacemaker.

Yeah, just watched Super and... it didn't hold up for me. It really shocked me how little it felt like a James Gunn movie. Everything he's good at - great writing, likeable characters, witty dialogue, memorable use of songs, good cinematography and editing, hell even just keeping a consistent tone - none of it is here. I thought it was a bit of a mess, edgy for the sake of being edgy, and a big waste of a fantastic cast.