By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

-The Last Kingdom: Binged through it all over a weekend, looking forward to the final season. Destiny is all.

-Vikings: After 'The Last Kingdom' I felt like more of the same so I tried this. Finished 4 seasons, not sure if/when I'll continue. The Last Kingdom almost works like a natural sequel to this, so if you're certain on going through both these shows, watch Vikings first (not that it matters much).

-Hunter x Hunter (2011): After finishing Dragon Ball Z and the sequel movies, I decided to take a break before going to Super (and maybe GT). Familiar shonen battle-anime but with some standout characters and a cool vibe. Doesn't take itself too seriously.

-Travelers: Sci-Fi series about teams of people from the future working to prevent the downfall of humanity, by taking over the bodies of people in the present day (in humane ways, mostly). Midway through season 2.

-Wave, Listen to Me!: Anime about a radio station, or more accurately the eccentric personalities that surround it. Mostly focused around the heroine-- a force of nature in her mid-twenties that has a talent for being able to talk and act unconstrainted regardless of circumstance. Most of the time she lives to regret that talent. Still a few episodes left, but one of the more fun series I've watched in a while.

-Dark Matter: Almost finished with season 1. SyFy series, so not a great budget and naturally only survived a few seasons. Has a Cowboy Bebop/Firefly type setup; ragtag crew livinging together on a ship while also going through their own life journeys. Main gimmick is this crew wakes up with no memories, so they're all complete strangers to each other and themselves.

-Underworld: Been a while since I revisited these movies so I bought the collection on blu-ray. They are what they are, not great films but not boring, at least for me.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

The Suicide Squad, you knew I'd be watching it of course, not sure I quite wanna make a thread on it but I kinda do.

It was really awesome. Best movie I've seen in a long time.

I thought there was still a bit of room for improvement (particularly in the editing and pacing), but it was definitely a night and day improvement over the first film. I'm looking forward to whatever else Gunn wants to do with the DC rogue's gallery.

Had an authoritarian themed week.

Handmaid's Tale S4: Went in some interesting directions I wasn't expecting. It can be refreshing when a writer bothers to flesh out a meaty resolution for a story (if you can call this that) or at least explore the aftermath and consequences of its characters' actions in depth. We get plenty of that here and it's a nice change of pace.

The Pianist: One of those movies I always meant to get around to watching but never did. Man, that first half has some gut wrenching, sobering moments. I've never seen the ghetto developed so vividly before. Amazing what Szpilman survived and came back from. Reminds me of another survivor I read about in school and attended a lecture by named David Faber.

Downfall: Another one I always meant to watch, another moment in history I had not seen so detailed before. I guess it's a testament to its quality that you can actually begin to sympathize with Nazis of all people.

@Ryuu96 I'd second Good Omens, really liked that show.

Lost was excellent when it came out, one of the few series I watched live as it came out week to week. I'd go over to my aunt and uncle's and watch it with them. Up to that point I was not acquainted with any shows that told a sprawling story quite like that that wasn't clearly episodic (a la X-files where most arcs were wrapped up in 1 to 2 episodes).

I'm also enjoying The Boys and Invincible so far.

I only got a couple episodes into The Expanse and after hearing so many people sing it's praises I should really start it over.

It won't take long but I'd recommend Love, Death, and Robots on Netflix. Sounds like some of the stories would be right up your ally.

Edit: Can I assume you watched Black Mirror: Bandersnatch ?  I have thought for years that the format of this show would be fantastic in a theater for revenue purposes.  A democratic vote by the theater on each decision might break up pacing a bit but can you imagine if the story was good enough how many repeat viewings a theater could get as people try different options to get to the different endings of the movie?  I really hope we get more like this out of Netflix or others as I really enjoyed 'pick your path' style books when I was in grade school. Further Edit: just ran across an article on some more mature styles of those books for those interested https://www.bustle.com/entertainment/best-fantasy-series I did not automatically think erotica as the article suggests, luckily only a handful of their selection looks to fit that bill.

Last edited by The_Yoda - on 14 August 2021

Ryuu96 said:
The_Yoda said:

@Ryuu96 I'd second Good Omens, really liked that show.

Lost was excellent when it came out, one of the few series I watched as it came out week to week. I'd go over to my aunt and uncle's and watch it with them. Up to that point I was not acquainted with any shows that told a sprawling story quite like that that wasn't clearly episodic (a la X-files where most arcs were wrapped up in 1 to 2 episodes).

I'm also enjoying The Boys and Invincible so far.

I only got a couple episodes into The Expanse and after hearing so many people sing it's praises I should really start it over.

It won't take long but I'd recommend Love, Death, and Robots on Netflix. Sounds like some of the stories would be right up your ally.

The Expanse starts a little slow in fairness, it really picks up around Episode 4 so I would definitely recommend sticking with it and trying it again.

I would recommend Lost had it not been for the ending, I'm still a little burnt, Lol, I would have recommended Game of Thrones too had it not been for the final few seasons, I'm one of those...If you don't mind it then I would suggest to folk to watch them but I just wouldn't re-watch those shows anymore knowing the ending, unfortunately.

I love a good Anthology show, especially Sci-Fi or Horror so I will keep Love, Death and Robots in mind once I get back to wrapping up my TV Show backlog, Lol.

I kinda felt a little cheated by the ending of Lost as well but the ride to get there was really enjoyable so I give it a pass and still deem it good as an overall work.  I haven't watched Game of Thrones yet and it's too bad the ending is meh on that one but one of these days I'll do a free trail of HBO max and knock it out anyway.

I'll tell you what I can't wait to see is them do The Gunslinger justice.  They had talked about doing 3 movies with a TV series in between movies to bridge them and that could have been great but instead we got the Idris Elba one that left out far too many characters and changed to much to condense it into a single movie.

Around the Network

Been checking out movies I just never got around to seeing for whatever reason and just caught Scott Pilgrim vs The World.

Very fun movie, I appreciated that it had its own very distinct sense of style, and aimed for pure entertainment over all else.

My only issue was that the titular lead came off as a bit of a creep early on, to the point where even in a film where people punch holes in the moon, I had trouble suspending my disbelief as far as why Ramona would ever go out with him in the first place. I get that he started off kinda pathetic so that he could grow and have a character arc, but there was just no chemistry at all and it made no sense why she'd give him the time of day.

Still, that's a relatively minor gripe in a film like this.

Pretty middling week for my movie watching.

Free Guy: Felt a bit like another video game movie written by people who don't play video games, but it was still reasonably fun. Reynolds makes it work with a solid comedic performance.

Respect: A pretty by the numbers, average musician biopic, though Hudson absolutely killed Amazing Grace at the end. The theater was full of black women and it was interesting seeing which moments resonated with them and how.

Reminiscence: The concept is interesting enough (if derivative), but the execution is definitely lacking. The themes are on the nose, the action is weak, and the dialogue is hilariously bad. Jackman has a couple decent moments but can only do so much. It'll be interesting seeing how future films interpret the climate crisis and how it will affect civilization.

Been watching the Rebuild of Evangelion films. Finished watching 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo yesterday. Enjoyed the three I've watched so far. Looking forward to 3.0 + 1.01: Thrice Upon a Time.

Mr.GameCrazy said:

Been watching the Rebuild of Evangelion films. Finished watching 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo yesterday. Enjoyed the three I've watched so far. Looking forward to 3.0 + 1.01: Thrice Upon a Time.

Watched the original series for the first time earlier this year. I could appreciate how it shook up the mecha genre, but it didn't grab me as much as many, apparently. I'll probably get around to watching the films eventually, but their titles and releases look as convoluted as Kingdom Hearts, lol.

Just finished Under The Dome.

A bit of a mixed bag overall. It's entertaining enough, but each of the three seasons is s step down from the one before it, and the third felt like it wasn't planned from the beginning.

Still, at least it has a proper ending of sorts, as opposed to some shows that just fizzle out with no closure. They left room for a potential 4th season that ended up not happening, but at least it felt like an open ending rather than an unresolved cliffhanger.