By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Mr.GameCrazy said:

Been watching the Rebuild of Evangelion films. Finished watching 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo yesterday. Enjoyed the three I've watched so far. Looking forward to 3.0 + 1.01: Thrice Upon a Time.

I quite liked Thrice, especially the first hour or so and also the visuals and soundtrack.

Spoiler!

I thought the first part was magnificent, kind of cozy in its own way, how Rei and eventually Shinji adapt to the village's life, and the music of choice for the part as a whole just made it more enjoyable. Watching Shinji being completely silent for over half an hour was a little annoying, even moreso than he ever was in The End, but his position is completely understandable since, you know, he had pretty much destroyed the world. So it is what it is. However, some of Asuka's dialogues and actions really stood out to me, the way she called out Shinji for his behavior was on point, it's a kind of posture that characters across the different Evangelion productions don't take. It's not exactly good for Shinji's wellbeing, but it was refreshing to see, nonetheless.

Then the second hour is all pure Michael Bay nonsense, if I'm being honest. The sequences in the anti-Universe are too saturated, and the animation in the fight between Units 01 and 13 looks quite bad. A little disappointing considering that the visuals in the village are gorgeous.

Finally, the end was quite satisfactory, not the part of Mari ending up with Shinji, but it was so good to see this boy having at last a tangible happy ending. Just hope he doesn't regret destroying the world with EVAs in favor of one where he is also married to his job, lol. But after the EVA fiasco, I'm sure he could deal with that with no problem. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

Finished watching Evangelion 3.0 + 1.01: Thrice Upon a Time. I liked it a lot.

Freaking heck. They gave the most important role to someone who hasn't even read the book and just assumes it's sexist because it was written in the 60s. I loved her in Mission Impossible, thought she'd be great in this role. What a fucking ice shower.

TallSilhouette said:
Mr.GameCrazy said:

Been watching the Rebuild of Evangelion films. Finished watching 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo yesterday. Enjoyed the three I've watched so far. Looking forward to 3.0 + 1.01: Thrice Upon a Time.

Watched the original series for the first time earlier this year. I could appreciate how it shook up the mecha genre, but it didn't grab me as much as many, apparently. I'll probably get around to watching the films eventually, but their titles and releases look as convoluted as Kingdom Hearts, lol.

It's a series I'd recommend watching multiple times before trying to judge it. More importantly, if you haven't watched End of Evangelion yet, I'd highly recommend watching that straight after (I usually skip the last 2 episodes of the series and go straight to EoE). Depending on what's available to you, there's also director's cut versions of episodes 21-24.

There's so much depth, context and symbolism to NGE that you can't really absorb and understand it all at once. Especially with the alternate perspectives of the ending.

Glad to know the last Rebuild film is actually available to stream, though I would've gladly gone to theatre if it was available and we weren't locked down. Wouldn't usually renew a sub for one movie, but for this I will once I've re-watched the first 3. Still hope Madman might set up a limited screening at a later date.

2D animation week.

DOTA: Dragon's Blood: Never played DOTA and unfamiliar with its lore, but I do like Studio Mir and Bryan Konietzko. The animation is great when it wants to be, but it's also quite obvious when they cut corners to save budget. The writing is very uneven; characters have lots of personality but the plot is overstuffed and undercooked. Still, it was entertaining enough to keep me around for next season.

Masters of the Universe: Revelation: This franchise was before my time. While I've seen plenty of references to it over the years this was my first real experience with it. Apparently a lot of old fans are NOT happy with the decisions it made, but from the outside looking in many of those criticisms don't hold water and this story holds up on its own merits when separated from prior expectations. I was pleasantly surprised at the level of character development in particular. My God, those puns, though...

Castlevania S4: What a finale! This caps off what is definitely the best game adaptation ever in my book, hands down (not that that's a high bar), and does so with a bang. Top notch animation, awesome action, satisfying character arcs, all around one hell of a crowd pleaser. I can't wait to see what these guys do next. I can only hope the magic continues!

Around the Network

Dune premiere went well. 7min standing ovation and most reviews glowingly positive (but the odd very negative). Not a bad start, but I'm still hesitant to get excited until the general audience has seen it.

Assuming we're allowed in theatres I will go see No Time to Die later this month. Waited long enough.

I'm watching The Expanse Season 4, it's pretty good. I'm late to the party, but thanks to streaming it took a while before I could import the blu-ray from the US for a not too unreasonable price, then it still have to get here in the Covid mail. I miss going to the store and simply picking it up on release day. (Although it was released much later since it was held hostage on Amazon Prime first)

And still waiting for a ps5 to become available so I can watch season 3 of Westworld which I bought on 4K blu-ray in December, expecting I would have a ps5 by now to watch it on :/

As for Netflix, I can't find anything interesting to watch anymore. It's getting worse all the time.

Watched Shang-Chi in theaters with my brother earlier today and we enjoyed it a lot!

The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf: Great animation, great action, cool to learn more about the Witcher universe. Should probably get around to reading the books at some point...

Shang-Chi: Unlike some other ~martial arts films made in the West recently (Mortal Kombat, Mulan, Snake Eyes, etc), this one's action thankfully didn't disappoint. Simu brings a good balance of action and acting chops and the photography was nice and smooth. The rest of the film is fairly unremarkable and got less interesting the more fantastical it got, though.

RIP, Michael K. Williams.

Recently caught up the the Ozarks. Really good, reminds me of Breaking bad, though not quite as goofy and missing some of the humor. Good acting all round and gripping plot. Though lots of silly plot holes and stuff, still highly entertaining. Quite dark though.

Altered Carbon season 1 - This ones a winner. Cyberpunk and high budget. Interesting and quite unique premise. First seasons amazing. Tried watching an episode of Season 2 and stopped. Worth watching for the first season alone.

Another series - Outer Banks. Yeah, its a teen series. Mind, it has an interesting plot and decent cast. Guilty pleasure / light watch I guess and unashamedly quite enjoyed the two seasons (so far) for this one. And looking forward to the next.

Movie wise.. first time I've been in the cinema for a while but watched Shang Chi. It was quite good. Plot, while I found a little weak.. but not bad for a origins story. Also not too familiar with this character though he has an interesting backstory. The fighting scenes were decent, with maybe a touch too much CGI for my liking. Though I guess that goes with the territory with Marvel movies. Would watch a sequel.

Last edited by hinch - on 12 September 2021