By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Feb 7-13 - Super Mario 3D World Pushes Switch Sales Above 400,000

curl-6 said:

So Xbox Series is trending only slightly better than Xbox One did at launch.

I can't remember, did Xbone have supply constraints at first too?

It's not trending only slightly better, it's doing significantly better if VGC's estimates are correct. While it took XSX|S some time to get ahead due to supply constraints, the actual baseline at the comparable point is 60-80% better.

A caveat is that the Xbox One didn't officially launch in many countries until September 2014, so this isn't a proper 1:1 comparison here. Nonetheless, the XSX|S is on track to build a sizeable lead up to the point of the Xbox One's early price cut in June 2014 and the launch boost of September 2014. Momentum is good enough for the XSX|S to stay ahead even beyond these notable Xbox One bumps, and like you may remember from Switch vs. 3DS comparisons, the sales curves will show up as markably different once the console of the previous gen runs out of its bumps to the baseline.

So while the current 60-80% advantage in the weekly baseline is overblown, an actual advantage in the area of ~30% should certainly be sustainable.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
Apkopf said:

The Cheese grater is the Mac Pro 2019 version (I think it's 2019). I remember it being talked about for its out there design and high launch price of 6000 dollar with a fully specced out version going for 10 times that.

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?

I guess you mean a 64 core threadripper and like 2x 2080ti's? What on the living hell would cost them $6000? And I dont even want to know what could cost them 10x more.

While Apple's overpriced, what you're describing is consumer-grade hardware. Once you move on to Xeon/Epic, ECC RAM, Quadro/Radeon pro territory (and don't get me started on networking) the price quadruples. In this world, stability is more important than performance as downtime = loss. Not to mention the enterprise-level support. I worked in a few manufacturing companies, where the cost of downtime was around $50,000 per hour. If Apple's sales pitch is "this configuration is stable AF", they will find customers for their products. 



RolStoppable said:

and like you may remember from Switch vs. 3DS comparisons, the sales curves will show up as markably different once the console of the previous gen runs out of its bumps to the baseline.

I think the situation is very different here, cause indeed there are shortages, but there are shortages for PS5 as well. Once the two consoles (or say 4) are easiliy available, I don't see the Xbox Series trending way ahead.

Yeah guys, I am doing it. I am quickricking this. I am summouning the all mighty....

... CLIFF



"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

trunkswd said:
Elputoxd said:

Not really. Maybe the first few weeks if at all. Sales dropped off a cliff after the Holiday season, that is why they cut the price of the console in June 2014.

Xbox Series X and S vs Xbox One 

Week 1 - 1285k vs 1104k

Week 2 - 203k vs 454k

Week 3 - 200k vs 286k

Week 4 - 253k vs 375k

Week 5 - 283k vs 402k

Week 6 - 323k vs 295k

Week 7 - 290k vs 145k

Week 8 - 187k vs 79k

Week 9 - 106k vs 64k

Week 10 - 88k vs 61k

Week 11 - 97k vs 61k

Week 12 - 100k vs 64k (Series X and S surpass Xbox One)

Week 13 - 105k vs 66k

Week 14 - 114k vs 66k

Week 15 - ???k vs 62k

I believe that is when Phil Spencer took over and released a version of the Xbox One without the Kinect. 

Likely. Poor Mattrick was blamed for the previous disaster, but for strategic decisions he just was the brawn, Ballmer actually was the brain.



Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 
 


In the entire month of February of 2014 (4 weeks) the Xbox One sold 259k units. In the first two weeks of February of 2021, the Series X and S have sold 220k units. Xbox Series is on track to sell around 450k units in February of 2021, which would be almost double what the Xbox One sold in 2014.

Series is only slightly ahead for now because they had supply issues in November and December - when Xbox One was ahead - , but in January and in February, Series has been selling 60-80% more every week.

You can see this in the latest weekly data, this is the sales data after the Holiday season (January and February, Series X and S versus One):

Week 8 - 187k vs 79k

Week 9 - 106k vs 64k

Week 10 - 88k vs 61k

Week 11 - 97k vs 61k

Week 12 - 100k vs 64k (Series X and S surpassed Xbox One here)

Week 13 - 105k vs 66k

Week 14 - 114k vs 66k

In Week 15, Xbox One sold 62k units. Series should sell anywhere from 90k to 120k depending on stock availability. It seems supply is improving. Seems Microsoft is now consistently sending over 95k units every week.



Around the Network
Kristof81 said:
eva01beserk said:

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?

I guess you mean a 64 core threadripper and like 2x 2080ti's? What on the living hell would cost them $6000? And I dont even want to know what could cost them 10x more.

While Apple's overpriced, what you're describing is consumer-grade hardware. Once you move on to Xeon/Epic, ECC RAM, Quadro/Radeon pro territory (and don't get me started on networking) the price quadruples. In this world, stability is more important than performance as downtime = loss. Not to mention the enterprise-level support. I worked in a few manufacturing companies, where the cost of downtime was around $50,000 per hour. If Apple's sales pitch is "this configuration is stable AF", they will find customers for their products. 

And for the average consumer without any specialized needs, there’s Apple’s M1 Macs, which demolish any Intel and AMD machines in their price range, and quite a bit beyond.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

So Xbox Series is trending only slightly better than Xbox One did at launch.

I can't remember, did Xbone have supply constraints at first too?

It's not trending only slightly better, it's doing significantly better if VGC's estimates are correct. While it took XSX|S some time to get ahead due to supply constraints, the actual baseline at the comparable point is 60-80% better.

A caveat is that the Xbox One didn't officially launch in many countries until September 2014, so this isn't a proper 1:1 comparison here. Nonetheless, the XSX|S is on track to build a sizeable lead up to the point of the Xbox One's early price cut in June 2014 and the launch boost of September 2014. Momentum is good enough for the XSX|S to stay ahead even beyond these notable Xbox One bumps, and like you may remember from Switch vs. 3DS comparisons, the sales curves will show up as markably different once the console of the previous gen runs out of its bumps to the baseline.

So while the current 60-80% advantage in the weekly baseline is overblown, an actual advantage in the area of ~30% should certainly be sustainable.

If Xbox Series can sustainably sell 30% above Xbone, that'd be something at least. I want Xbox to be more competitive this gen cos in my experience less competition means gaming suffers. PS4 steamrolling Xbone and Wii U led to a pretty dull several years. The 7th and 4th gens were the best in my opinion because they were the most competitive.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:

It's not trending only slightly better, it's doing significantly better if VGC's estimates are correct. While it took XSX|S some time to get ahead due to supply constraints, the actual baseline at the comparable point is 60-80% better.

A caveat is that the Xbox One didn't officially launch in many countries until September 2014, so this isn't a proper 1:1 comparison here. Nonetheless, the XSX|S is on track to build a sizeable lead up to the point of the Xbox One's early price cut in June 2014 and the launch boost of September 2014. Momentum is good enough for the XSX|S to stay ahead even beyond these notable Xbox One bumps, and like you may remember from Switch vs. 3DS comparisons, the sales curves will show up as markably different once the console of the previous gen runs out of its bumps to the baseline.

So while the current 60-80% advantage in the weekly baseline is overblown, an actual advantage in the area of ~30% should certainly be sustainable.

If Xbox Series can sustainably sell 30% above Xbone, that'd be something at least. I want Xbox to be more competitive this gen cos in my experience less competition means gaming suffers. PS4 steamrolling Xbone and Wii U led to a pretty dull several years. The 7th and 4th gens were the best in my opinion because they were the most competitive.

Microsoft does have far more first-party than they did during the Xbox One days. 23 studios once the Bethesda deal closes it a lot more than the 5 they had just a few years ago. Obviously, once other difference is Microsoft releases all their games on PC now, and you can even play them on your phone with xCloud.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

If Xbox Series can sustainably sell 30% above Xbone, that'd be something at least. I want Xbox to be more competitive this gen cos in my experience less competition means gaming suffers. PS4 steamrolling Xbone and Wii U led to a pretty dull several years. The 7th and 4th gens were the best in my opinion because they were the most competitive.

Microsoft does have far more first-party than they did during the Xbox One days. 23 studios once the Bethesda deal closes it a lot more than the 5 they had just a few years ago. Obviously, once other difference is Microsoft releases all their games on PC now, and you can even play them on your phone with xCloud.

Nope, they have more studios, but first-party wise it's still on par with the Xbox One so far.



"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

SKMBlake said:
trunkswd said:

Microsoft does have far more first-party than they did during the Xbox One days. 23 studios once the Bethesda deal closes it a lot more than the 5 they had just a few years ago. Obviously, once other difference is Microsoft releases all their games on PC now, and you can even play them on your phone with xCloud.

Nope, they have more studios, but first-party wise it's still on par with the Xbox One so far.

It does take time to develop games and COVID has clearly slowed down the development of games across the board. I agree right now it isn't better than the Xbox One, but we do have backwards compatibility at least. 2022 or 2023 we should start seeing a decent increase in first-party output. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.