By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Monster Hunter Rise Thread

curl-6 said:
farlaff said:

Man, I feel bad now. I've clocked something close to 90 hours already. And using the LS only, a weapon that now can make you feel godlike without being broken. I used to main GS back in 3U, but now the new LS moves are too good to pass on.

My little brother has clocked over 100 hours already, so don't feel too bad. ;)

I just finished building a full set of Goss Harag armour, I love how it looks, I'm like a Viking death metal rocker haha.

I was never really able to get into the longsword myself as I like being able to block haha. I use Sword and Shield, Charge Blade, Lance, and Gunlance. (Yeah, I know, what a noob haha) I plan on trying to get into some new weapon classes, but for the moment I'm focusing on progressing through the Hub  quests. Insect Glaive looks interesting, definitely wanna try to get good with that.

So, what's everyone else's playtime sitting at so far?

Haha, you little brother is hooked too. :P

I don't think wanting to shield is nooby, it's just a different playstyle. Back in Tri I tried Lance, which was OP as heck, but never got the hang of it. I need to feel very mobile to enjoy, but maybe that's a matter of getting used to. Now with LS, once you get the proper timing for counters and foresights, you can be pretty much untouchable.

Also, SnS seems to be super duper cool in Rise and it is not a defensive weapon, like, at all. ;) I might wanna try it down the road.

Around the Network
farlaff said:
curl-6 said:

My little brother has clocked over 100 hours already, so don't feel too bad. ;)

I just finished building a full set of Goss Harag armour, I love how it looks, I'm like a Viking death metal rocker haha.

I was never really able to get into the longsword myself as I like being able to block haha. I use Sword and Shield, Charge Blade, Lance, and Gunlance. (Yeah, I know, what a noob haha) I plan on trying to get into some new weapon classes, but for the moment I'm focusing on progressing through the Hub  quests. Insect Glaive looks interesting, definitely wanna try to get good with that.

So, what's everyone else's playtime sitting at so far?

Haha, you little brother is hooked too. :P

I don't think wanting to shield is nooby, it's just a different playstyle. Back in Tri I tried Lance, which was OP as heck, but never got the hang of it. I need to feel very mobile to enjoy, but maybe that's a matter of getting used to. Now with LS, once you get the proper timing for counters and foresights, you can be pretty much untouchable.

Also, SnS seems to be super duper cool in Rise and it is not a defensive weapon, like, at all. ;) I might wanna try it down the road.

Yeah I play very offensively with the SnS, I just like having the option to block in case I find myself not in a good position to get clear by dodging. I just find it the most comfortable and versatile weapon to use; you get both mobility and defensive capability.

I mained SnS in Tri, (and MH4) though lance was my secondary, and my main for underwater monsters like Gobul and Lagiacrus.

Switchaxe was fun in Tri too; I did wish you could block with it, but it packed a punch and wasn't as slow as the Greatsword. (Now there's a weapon I simply don't have the skill/patience to get good with haha, I hate how slow it is)

With Rise I use SnS when I need to be at my best, but I'm trying to focus on the Gunlance and Charge Blade as they're new to me and thus have fresh appeal compared to weapons I've already played hundreds of hours with.

curl-6 said:
Metallox said:

Have been looking for an answer, so I suppose they aren't, but are urgent quests really 'urgent'? Can I do them later and nothing happens? Just got a quest for Magnamalo but just looking at his picture tells me that it's going to pulverize me.

No, you don't have to do them right away, you can put them off as long as you want.

An "urgent" quest just means one that's required for your to progress to the next rank and unlock the next tier of quests.

Thanks. I remember that a character said "if you don't complete urgent quests, things could get ugly", or something like that. Perhaps I misread it. 

I also just completed my first rampage quest in the Village line (my first quest came from the Hub, oddly enough, and I did a little rough) and got the cutscene where a Magnamalo carries a bear with its mouth, it was so badass. I hope the thing delivers and it's not just show. 

I'm liking this game a lot, I can see myself spending hundreds of hours in it, I just wish there were more bizarre monsters. There are a lot of reptilians, which is fine because I like me some cool dinosaur-looking beasts, but I'd also like giant arthropods, which I thought were going to be prominent in a game called Monster Hunter.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Thanks for the NSO family membership, it looks like I'll get to play this online after all.

After playing solo for over 35 hours so far I'm looking forward to starting online co-op from tonight after work and finding out if it's as fun as Monster Hunter Tri's online used to be back in the day.

curl-6 said:

Thanks for the NSO family membership, it looks like I'll get to play this online after all.

After playing solo for over 35 hours so far I'm looking forward to starting online co-op from tonight after work and finding out if it's as fun as Monster Hunter Tri's online used to be back in the day.

Nice. Ping me and can try and play together.

Around the Network
farlaff said:
curl-6 said:

Not sure if our timezones will line up, I play after work from like 5:40-7pm AEST. But if you're on then, why not I guess. I warn you though, I'm not a great player haha.

There will be a new Monster Hunter Digital Event on the 27th at April 27 at 7:00 a.m. PT / 10:00 a.m. ET / 23:00 JST, which will detail the first major update for Rise, as well as new info on Monster Hunter Stories 2:

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/04/monster-hunter-rise-and-monster-hunter-stories-2-wings-of-ruin-digital-event-set-for-april-27

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 April 2021

curl-6 said:
farlaff said:

Not sure if our timezones will line up, I play after work from like 5:40-7pm AEST. But if you're on then, why not I guess. I warn you though, I'm not a great player haha.

No worries, maybe during weekends? Let me know if that works on your end.

Controversial tier time. 

I rank high Most of the stronger new monsters, they are great. The weaker ones tend to be a bit boring IMO. 

Pukei Pukei is a personal favorite of mine. 
Zinogre would be S tier if I didnt feel they made him easier. Minus a few exceptions, most old monster are honestly easier. 

Diablos has always been a major annoyance to me so I automatically place him in the bottom, but admitedly in this game its probably the easiest its ever been.
Jyuratodus is plain boring and bland. We could've had Legiana or Bazel, but nope, they brought Jyura back. 

curl-6 said:

There will be a new Monster Hunter Digital Event on the 27th at April 27 at 7:00 a.m. PT / 10:00 a.m. ET / 23:00 JST, which will detail the first major update for Rise, as well as new info on Monster Hunter Stories 2:

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/04/monster-hunter-rise-and-monster-hunter-stories-2-wings-of-ruin-digital-event-set-for-april-27

Crap, then I assume the update wont be coming this month after all. 

Just beat the first Apex Rampage and reached High Rank; while they're a chore in single player I actually find the rampages great fun in a group and a cool addition to the franchise.

farlaff said:
curl-6 said:

No worries, maybe during weekends? Let me know if that works on your end.

Yeah, I'm online most Saturdays and Sundays during that timeframe.

Jpcc86 said:

Controversial tier time. 

I rank high Most of the stronger new monsters, they are great. The weaker ones tend to be a bit boring IMO. 

Pukei Pukei is a personal favorite of mine. 
Zinogre would be S tier if I didnt feel they made him easier. Minus a few exceptions, most old monster are honestly easier. 

Diablos has always been a major annoyance to me so I automatically place him in the bottom, but admitedly in this game its probably the easiest its ever been.
Jyuratodus is plain boring and bland. We could've had Legiana or Bazel, but nope, they brought Jyura back. 

curl-6 said:

Crap, then I assume the update wont be coming this month after all. 

It could still be coming this month, could be a "and you can  play it now/tomorrow" shadowdrop kinda deal.

As for your tiers, shame on you, how dare you put Bishaten and Anjanath in C class you monster.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 April 2021