By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD Announced For Switch

Tagged games:

Valdney said:
Kakadu18 said:

Now you sound even more entitled. It's hilarious how you think you helped save the franchise or something and therefore getting SSHD is an insult or something. LMAO. I consider Breath of the Wild to be the best Zelda game btw.

Also btw to sell more than all other Zelda games combined BotW would need to over 90 million copies.

From what I read,  the combined sales of  all 3D Zelda games is roughly 28 million copies without the remasters and remakes.  BotW will probably beat that. 

The Zelda series sold combined with remasters and remakes over 110 million copies, that's over 90 million without BotW.

2D Zelda games are in fact all without exception mainline Zelda games. There are 19 mainline Zelda games.

Here are all numbers:

The Legend of Zelda (1986)- 6.51mil

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (1987) - 4.38mil

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991) - 4.61mil

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993) - 3.83mil

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998) - 7.6mil

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000) - 3.36mil

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons (2001, they are counted each as a mainline entry) - 3.99mil

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2002) - 4.43mil

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four Swords (2002, yes Four Swords is a mainline game) - 2.82mil

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (2004) - 930k

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (2004) - 1.76mil

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006) - 8.85mil

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (2007) - 4.76mil

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (2009) - 2.96mil

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011) - 3.67mil

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2013) - 4.16mil

The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes (2015) - 1.34mil

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017) - 23.14mil

So not counting remakes and remasters all Zelda games before BotW sold 69.96 million copies.

Here are the remakes and remasters:

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (1998) - 2.22mil

Classic NES series: The Legend of Zelda (2004) - 860k

Classic NES series: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (2004) - 660k

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (2011) - 6.22mil

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (2013) - 2.22mil

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (2015) - 3.28mil

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (2016) - 1.13mil

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019) - 4.57mil

Adding those to the number we get 91.12 million copies of mainline Zelda games sold that are not Breath of the Wild.

The 3D Zelda games before BotW on their original releases sold a combined 27.91mil, so yes BotW is going to outsell that number. You're right about that, but you would have to specify it. 2D Zelda games are also mainline Zelda games.

Here are all spinoffs:

Link's Crossbow Training (2007)

Hyrule Warriors (2014)

Hyrule Warriors Legends (2015)

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (2018)

Cadence of Hyrule (2019)

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (2020)

Then there are also a few Tingle games and a Twilight Princess themed Picross game.

All games with "The Legend of Zelda" at the start of their name are mainline games. They all count.

Around the Network

I'm in the camp that Skyward is greatly underappreciated by the masses, the critics got it right. Too many were immediately put off by the motions controls. And while they controls weren't perfect, I thought it worked very well. More importantly Skyward has some of the best dungeons in the series.

Kakadu18 said:
Valdney said:

From what I read,  the combined sales of  all 3D Zelda games is roughly 28 million copies without the remasters and remakes.  BotW will probably beat that. 

The 3D Zelda games before BotW on their original releases sold a combined 27.91mil, so yes BotW is going to outsell that number. You're right about that, but you would have to specify it. 2D Zelda games are also mainline Zelda games.

He specifically said 3D Zelda's though, he never spoke about mainline Zelda games.

On a different note to Valdney; you really don't deserve anything. You bought a game and system for a specific price, agreed upon by both parties, that does not entitle you to anything else.

Also, as some other people mentioned in here, I think we'll see some more upgrades to this version vs the standard version that can improve the game in various ways. Similar to how the fast sail in Wind Waker HD vastly improved traversing around the sea. What those upgrades will be, I don't know. Hopefully something meaningful with amiibo (though I doubt that, they'll probably give some items each day). July is a ways away.

Kakadu18 said:
Valdney said:

The Zelda series sold combined with remasters and remakes over 110 million copies, that's over 90 million without BotW.

2D Zelda games are in fact all without exception mainline Zelda games. There are 19 mainline Zelda games.

Here are all numbers:

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons (2001, they are counted each as a mainline entry) - 3.99mil

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four Swords (2002, yes Four Swords is a mainline game) - 2.82mil

So not counting remakes and remasters all Zelda games before BotW sold 69.96 million copies.

Adding those to the number we get 91.12 million copies of mainline Zelda games sold that are not Breath of the Wild.

Here are all spinoffs:

Hyrule Warriors (2014)

Cadence of Hyrule (2019)

Then there are also a few Tingle games and a Twilight Princess themed Picross game.

All games with "The Legend of Zelda" at the start of their name are mainline games. They all count.

You skip words when you’re reading as I well as I skip words when I write. 😂  I said 3D. 

Valdney said:
Kakadu18 said:

Here are all numbers:

Here are all spinoffs:

Hyrule Warriors (2014)

Cadence of Hyrule (2019)

You skip words when you’re reading as I well as I skip words when I write. 😂  I said 3D. 

I know, I only noticed later.

Around the Network
Valdney said:
Kakadu18 said:

Skyward Sword is not bad. It's a great game and doesn't deserve to be bashed like this.

How can you play a game that good and in all seriousness think it's bad? Like how is this even possible? I don't get it. It baffles me. Seriously, there is not a single game that got generally good or great reception that I consider bad. Most people like it and find it at least good, so it is good. Otherwise most people wouldn't like it. It's just illogical to believe a so highly polished game with so good level design, enemy variety and design, so well written characters and dialogue, such a well structured and well written story as well as so creative and inventive items and puzzles and so many ideas with, if you like motion controls, sometimes annoying but mostly extremely fun combat and so much detail in the beautiful environments with such a great artstyle.

Skyward Sword can be just not your thing. I for example didn't really like the first Little Nightmares, but I still see a really good game there, because it shows quality in it's mechanics, atmosphere and level design.

But to ligitimately think that Skyward Sword is a bad game, as if it was unplayable, had bad writing, boring and uninspired invironments and dungeons. No, that's not the case. That's why it got 93 on Metacritic, because most people think it's really good.

Same with Super Mario Sunshine. Some people hate it just because it's so different from SM64 or because they don't like fludd. But it's still a great game (92 on Metacritic btw). Phantom Hourglass also constantly gets hate for one aspect, the Temple of the Oceanking. But that doesn't change that it's generally a very good game (90 on Metacritic).

Point is, your way of thinking is so outlandish for me, that I can't understand it at all. You could start claiming microtransactions are consumer friendly and I would understand that standpoint better.

Also to say "we deserve better", is very entitled. The anouncement made me happy and it's exactly what I wanted. If I hadn't gotten what I wanted I wouldn't go and start claiming that what we are getting is bad and nobody wants it because I don't want it.

Actually I don't just deserve better, I deserve much better. Do you know why? Because It was people like me that came out in  droves to buy Breath of the Wild and a brand new System, day one, once we found out the game would finally go back to its roots and, we made it the best SELLING   Zelda game of all time by far, with a very good chance to beat the sales of all other 3D Zeldas combined. 

You have all the right in the world to like Skyward Sword, but to a very big chunk of the people who bought and loved Breath of the Wild, Skyward Sword is an aberration of a Zelda game.

Correction made. Lol. I meant to say, “we made it the best SELLING  Zelda of all time”.  Of course I didn’t make it the best Zelda game, Nintendo did.  Lol!  

I'm older Zelda gamer.

I loved Legend of Zelda, I loved Legend of Zelda II, I liked A link to the Past.

When Ocarina arrived, despite the changes, apart from the Water Temple, I found it an incredible game.

My surprise was that the designer responsible for the same water temple would now be the producer for my favorite series.
I saw that he liked to make wooden dolls and that he had never finished The Legend of Zelda and that he liked to be mowing grass in A Link to the Past.

Ok. Then Majora Mask came out, some things already bothered me and the series, in my opinion, only got worse until Skyward Sword. The concept of open world, exploration and dangerous world that existed in the first games was lost to give way to a game where the focus was on puzzles and everything kind of referred to puzzles.

Then I discovered that Aonuma was a huge fan of The Adventures of Lolo and that he was turning the series into a big puzzle and Lolo esque game. I left the series until I stopped playing at Skyward Sword. At BotW I went back to playing and admiring the series because it rescues those elements of exploration, danger and combat that the old games were known as a mix of action and rpg.

And it seems that it was a considerable amount that preferred it to Aonuma Style.

Agente42 said:

I'm older Zelda gamer.

I loved Legend of Zelda, I loved Legend of Zelda II, I liked A link to the Past.

When Ocarina arrived, despite the changes, apart from the Water Temple, I found it an incredible game.

My surprise was that the designer responsible for the same water temple would now be the producer for my favorite series.
I saw that he liked to make wooden dolls and that he had never finished The Legend of Zelda and that he liked to be mowing grass in A Link to the Past.

Ok. Then Majora Mask came out, some things already bothered me and the series, in my opinion, only got worse until Skyward Sword. The concept of open world, exploration and dangerous world that existed in the first games was lost to give way to a game where the focus was on puzzles and everything kind of referred to puzzles.

Then I discovered that Aonuma was a huge fan of The Adventures of Lolo and that he was turning the series into a big puzzle and Lolo esque game. I left the series until I stopped playing at Skyward Sword. At BotW I went back to playing and admiring the series because it rescues those elements of exploration, danger and combat that the old games were known as a mix of action and rpg.

And it seems that it was a considerable amount that preferred it to Aonuma Style.

This reads like copypasta. Anyway, you might wanna look up who Breath of the Wild's producer is...

Even the director is the same as Skyward Sword.

anonymunchy said:

Also, as some other people mentioned in here, I think we'll see some more upgrades to this version vs the standard version that can improve the game in various ways. Similar to how the fast sail in Wind Waker HD vastly improved traversing around the sea. What those upgrades will be, I don't know. Hopefully something meaningful with amiibo (though I doubt that, they'll probably give some items each day). July is a ways away.

I'm assuming they'll fix the annoying pop-up everytime you pick up a treasure item. Since that was the game's biggest issue by far, I think that change alone would already go some ways towards improving the game.

Seriously though, I'm not expecting much beyond that.

I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!
my top 50 games

mZuzek said:
Agente42 said:

I'm older Zelda gamer.

This reads like copypasta. Anyway, you might wanna look up who Breath of the Wild's producer is...

anonymunchy said:

I'm assuming they'll fix the annoying pop-up everytime you pick up a treasure item. Since that was the game's biggest issue by far, I think that change alone would already go some ways towards improving the game.

mZuzek said:
Agente42 said:

I'm older Zelda gamer.

anonymunchy said:

You know Aonuma focus in BotW is shiries and dungeons? The director takes the lead of the rest. Just imagine the part of Botw I hate. 

mZuzek said:

Oh, I forgot about that, every time you'd continue a save file all the pop-ups would reset. Yeh, I hope they fix that :P 

I really enjoyed the original on the Wii though, so for me, can't think of anything off the top of my head they should change.

Would be nice if they added some extra content, maybe in the form of a boss rush/enemy waves/item challenges, but I doubt they'll go so far.