By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD Announced For Switch

Tagged games:

curl-6 said:
JWeinCom said:

I dunno. They seemed to be doing ok for a while. Honestly a bit confused as to what's going on with them recently. Hoping it's just a matter of a lot of unannounced titles for the second half of the year. But at any rate, one remake should be like, crippling their production.

Yeah it's weird, even with their handheld and console divisions united, their output has been pretty slow post-2017. I kept figuring that as they delivered so many big games in the Switch's first year they'd need 3 years or so for those studios to reload and fire again, but I really thought by now we'd be seeing more, like the next Monolith Soft game, the next new 3D Mario, the next game from the Mario Kart team, etc.

I get that the pandemic has probably slowed them down, and that one remaster shouldn't take up too much manpower, but at this point I'm really starting to wonder just where all the new EPD games are.

If we were to be charitable, we can say they're gearing up for something.

Nintendo basically released a big wave of titles in 2017-18 for the Switch's launch. These titles have continued to push hardware.

So, maybe Nintendo's strategy is just to release titles in waves. And, the next time for a "wave" would be either to support new hardware, or to counter their rivals. The PS5 and XBOXSXXXS are effectively sold out right now. So, the time they'll really need to start competing will be during this holiday season and the next one. Maybe they announce a revision around June, and have a steady slate of games through 2022. 

Of course, they could also just be incompetent. Also possible.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Agente42 said:

mZuzek said:

This reads like copypasta. Anyway, you might wanna look up who Breath of the Wild's producer is...

Even the director is the same as Skyward Sword.

I'm assuming they'll fix the annoying pop-up everytime you pick up a treasure item. Since that was the game's biggest issue by far, I think that change alone would already go some ways towards improving the game.

Seriously though, I'm not expecting much beyond that.

You know Aonuma focus in BotW is shiries and dungeons? The director takes the lead of the rest. Just imagine the part of Botw I hate. 

The director of BotW, Hidemaro Fujibayashi was also the director of Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Four Swords, The Minish Cap and Skyward Sword and subdirector of Phantom Houtglass, many of those puzzle focused Zelda games that you don't like. 

Don't put all the blame for the series changing to something you don't like on one guy. Puzzles have been a big part of Zelda games even before Aonuma started to work on them.

The change of direction came with Aonuma on the production. It's crystal clear in Majora Mask. The idea of the Botw, with The first Zelda function like a canvas for the modern game came with Fujibayashi. Aonuma is not a fan the First Legend of Zelda, he never finished. It's a fact. 

Last edited by Agente42 - on 20 February 2021

mZuzek said:

Well, guess Hidemaro Fujibayashi hates Skyward Sword.

Well, all that matters is that he did a good game, especially beautiful. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

more people can now experience a top 3 zelda game, LFG

Last edited by MasonADC - on 20 February 2021

mZuzek said:

Aonuma was against the use of Motion Control + in SS. The best feature on the game and he was against. 

Around the Network
Agente42 said:
Kakadu18 said:

The director of BotW, Hidemaro Fujibayashi was also the director of Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Four Swords, The Minish Cap and Skyward Sword and subdirector of Phantom Houtglass, many of those puzzle focused Zelda games that you don't like. 

Don't put all the blame for the series changing to something you don't like on one guy. Puzzles have been a big part of Zelda games even before Aonuma started to work on them.

The change of direction came with Aonuma on the production. It's crystal clear in Majora Mask. The idea of the Botw, with The first Zelda function like a canvas for the modern game came with Fujibayashi. Aonuma is not a fan the First Legend of Zelda, he never finished. It's a fact. 

Well that's something I share with him. On the other hand BotW is my absolute favorite. Weird huh.

Agente42 said:
mZuzek said:

Aonuma was against the use of Motion Control + in SS. The best feature on the game and he was against. 

For many people it was the game breaking feature. On the Switch it should be more accurate though.

MasonADC said:

more people can now experience a top 3 zelda game, LFG

Agreed, 10/10 game for me tbh.

Kakadu18 said:
Agente42 said:

Well that's something I share with him. On the other hand BotW is my absolute favorite. Weird huh.

You see this in a interview on GDC '04.

https://touriantourist.blogspot.com/2011/09/aonuma-hates-zelda.html

Agente42 said:
Kakadu18 said:

You see this in a interview on GDC '04.

https://touriantourist.blogspot.com/2011/09/aonuma-hates-zelda.html

You seem to be really focused on this fact

This is an interview from 2004, where he talks about something even further in the past. He also says he never thought he'd be making games similar to that, meaning he's changed his mind. He also mentions in that interview that A Link to the Past is what got him into Zelda, a game very similar in style to the original Zelda, just more refined.

The title of the link is also "Aonuma hates zelda", which is just horrible clickbait and the entire article just reads like a disgruntled entitled fanboy who didn't get what he wanted. 

On a different note, Aonuma was also director on Ocarina of Time. So why does he get the blame for Majora's Mask (whatever is even to blame) and not the praise on Ocarina of Time. Miyamoto was producer on all these games.
He was also Franchise Supervisor on Hyrule Warriors, which had an amazing amount of fan service and incredible throwbacks to the original Zelda.