By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's Your Favorite Game on the N64?

Which one is your all-time fave?

Ocarina of Time 16 32.00%

Super Mario 64 6 12.00%

Perfect Dark 5 10.00%

Banjo-Kazooie 4 8.00%

Goldeneye 7 14.00%

Paper Mario 3 6.00%

Smash Bros. 1 2.00%

Star Fox 64 1 2.00%

Mario Kart 64 1 2.00%

Other 6 12.00%

Total:50

Voted Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye 007 is probably the game I played the most. Ocarina of time was my favourite until I played Breath of the Wild.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

The N64 is a strange system in that while it has very few games overall, among that small number are some of the very best, most groundbreaking, and most influential games of its era.

Couldn't have put it better myself. It was a very "dense" library, while systems like the Wii and PS2 have tons of games (with some definite gems), but a lot of fluff. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

StuOhQ said:
curl-6 said:

The N64 is a strange system in that while it has very few games overall, among that small number are some of the very best, most groundbreaking, and most influential games of its era.

Couldn't have put it better myself. It was a very "dense" library, while systems like the Wii and PS2 have tons of games (with some definite gems), but a lot of fluff. 

Cheers, and yeah I agree, N64's library was basically the definition of quality over quantity. It has less "good" games than most Nintendo systems, but in terms of great games it's tough to top.

If you weren't there at the time, it's hard to comprehend the impact of games like Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, or Goldeneye.

The one that isn't OoT

Lube Me Up

LMU Uncle Alfred said:

The one that isn't OoT

Ahh, Majora’s Mask. Excellent choice!

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
StuOhQ said:

...it's hard to comprehend the impact of games like Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, or Goldeneye.

I was just talking with a friend about this yesterday. While it hasn't held up the way the Gamecube has, the N64 was just something to experience at the time of release. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Definitely Doom 64 for SP and Hexen for MP.

1. Majora's Mask
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Perfect Dark
4. GoldenEye 007
5. Diddy Kong Racing
6. Super Smash Bros
7. Super Mario 64

That is the best of the best to me. All A to A+ type games. Plenty of other really good games on the console, just not quite as good as these.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

StuOhQ said:
curl-6 said:

...it's hard to comprehend the impact of games like Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, or Goldeneye.

I was just talking with a friend about this yesterday. While it hasn't held up the way the Gamecube has, the N64 was just something to experience at the time of release. 

Exactly, more so than any other generation it felt like this old leap into the unknown, into this whole new world of possibilities and wonder. Going from 2D to 3D was a true paradigm shift and it was the N64's classics that I feel best epitomise this revolution.