By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Gina Carano - Disney fired her, what does that solve?

Hiku said:
Nautilus said:

A disaster would happen, that's for sure. I am not denying that.

But BLM and Antifa KILLED people, destroyed livelihoods. That actually did happen, in contrast with the invasion. Are you saying that the lives of normal people are worth less than the lives of congressmen? Because if that's what you are saying, then it is fucked up.

I'm saying that the deaths of elected officials could literally collapse the democracy.
No such thing was at stake in BLM rallies.

Also, most people participating in a BLM protest at least understand what they're protesting. Agree or disagree with their opinion, they know the officer had his knee on a mans neck for 9 minutes while he pleaded that he couldn't breathe, etc.
Most, if not all, people protesting the 'election steal' were not well informed of the situation.

Human life is human life. Look how low you have gone, to the point of discussing that one riot is worse than another because in one congressmans could have been killed versus another which people actually died. I don't disagree with what you are saying, but I don't symphatize with the spirit of it at all. It just feels... wrong. And for someone like you, that defends the rights of people and was veement in the defence of George Floyd after the brutality of it's death, and now defending one riot over the another because of what? One of them defend your point of view and the other don't?

And how can you assume that the ones helping the terrorists from BLM knew what they were protesting, but most of the people that stormed the Congress didn't? How do you know that? Because there was a guy dressed like a viking? And the ones that raided the shops and stole stuff was clearly counscious of the protests and actually cared about the cause?These ''assumptions'' just worsens any actual discussion that could be productive to finding a real solution.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

Old people with comorbidity would have died in the next two years without the Covid-19. They just lost 2 years !

The only people I know who died of the virus was a 88 years old man who went to the hospital every month for the last 5 years. 

I don't know what the CDC is (you can guess by my bad english that I'm not from the USA), but their numbers must be about the USA. In USA, as I said, there is another comorbidity which also affects young people and which is much less present in other countries: morbid obesity in young people.

I am more affected emotionally by the suicide of many young people than by the loss of taste or smell of a few people.

The following is my opinion, written calmly. If you can't respond politely and without resorting to insulting me for my opinion, please don't respond to this. I know this site is filled with mostly left wing people, and that's fine (you're entitled to your opinion). But too many times have I presented my more conservative leaning views on this site and been trolled by cursing and insults, so please just state your disagreement without resorting to either of those, thanks.:

Doesn't solve anything. The same people complaining about her are probably not watching this show anyway. The show is about a strong male figure bonding with a child and becoming a hero, and then turning other formerly bad people into good guys because of his persuasion of them to care for said child. I love the show. Reminds me of many old western movies that I grew up loving (back when strong male figures were encouraged). Nothing about that is appealing to the woke people, so I don't get why those people would be watching this show in the first place.

The people that ARE watching the show are probably either a) annoyed they would get rid of a strong female figure in the show OR b) don't care about politics or social justice topics and are ticked that the show canned one of its better characters. I don't see how this helps Disney at all. If this show had a progressive agenda and progressive following, that would be different and this would absolutely help retain and perhaps expand their audience, but that isn't the case in my opinion.

And FYI, I am not saying I agree with everything Gina tweeted. But I believe in her right to freedom of speech. I also believe a business has the right to make whatever decision it wants to make, regardless of the gender, race, or religion of its employees, so if they want to fire her for that then so be it. Do I think it was smart of them? No, but it is their right as a company.

She traded in a lucrative career working in one of the biggest companies and most recognized brands in the world for nothing. Hope her love for Americas fattest orange superhero was worth it.

Around the Network

It solves the problem of Disney not wanting their show associated with a moron. There are tons of struggling actresses out there who are far more talented than Gina Carano. She was cast in the role because she had name value. When her name value drops, why exactly should Disney keep her around? Why should Disney keep paying someone who no longer serves the purpose they hired her for?

Hiku said:
Nautilus said:

Human life is human life. Look how low you have gone, to the point of discussing that one riot is worse than another because in one congressmans could have been killed versus another which people actually died.

People died during the Capitol riot as well.
And you're the one who made the comparison in the first place, 'both-siding' the situation.
That's why I'm pointing out that one was heading towards unprecedented dangerous concequences. If you hadn't made the comparison in the first place, I wouldn't have compared them.

It's less about lives, and more about the position of the targets. If the mob could peacefully strip the politicians of their positions, it would still have had the same catastrophic effect in that regard.

BLM were not storming the equivalent of Police Head Quarters, and nearly got a hold of the ruling heads of the police force.

Nautilus said:

And for someone like you, that defends the rights of people and was veement in the defence of George Floyd after the brutality of it's death, and now defending one riot over the another because of what? One of them defend your point of view and the other don't?

Because the purpose of 'both-siding' is to downplay the severity of one thing by making a false equivalence.
If we're talking about something like Charlottesville vs BLM, then I think that's a more apt comparison of what was at stake, and they were both racially motivated, etc.

Nautilus said:

And how can you assume that the ones helping the terrorists from BLM knew what they were protesting, but most of the people that stormed the Congress didn't? How do you know that? Because there was a guy dressed like a viking? And the ones that raided the shops and stole stuff was clearly counscious of the protests and actually cared about the cause?These ''assumptions'' just worsens any actual discussion that could be productive to finding a real solution.

If the people at the capitol protest understood that Mike Pence does not have the authority to reject the electoral votes, they probably wouldn't be chanting "Hang Mike Pence". And if they understood that no evidence of fraud was presented in any of the 60+ court cases that got rejected (they won like 3 court cases iirc, and neither of them involved fraud. One was throwing out 17 votes for arriving too late, etc.), they probably wouldn't even be there protesting. This is easily accesible public information. And yet it still happened.

Every interview I've seen from Trump supporters attending the protest believed that Trump really won.
If you can show me a Trump supporter interviewed during the protest that said they knew Biden rightfully won, that'd be interesting. But one such instance would still be a rare occurance.
There are also polls that show how many people believe the election was fraudulant. Here's one.
Half of Republicans say Biden won because of a 'rigged' election: Reuters/Ipsos poll | Reuters

Even if it's nowhere near the 'half of Republicans' figure there, it's not a stretch to think that people who went out of their way to travel to D.C. to protest the election belong to this group.

And since I said 'participating in a BLM protest', I'm not neccesarily talking about the ones looting a store.
Between the ones who were peacefully protesting BLM, and the ones who were peacefully protesting the election, the former was largely based on opinions of how police were terating people on camera, while the latter was based on misleading or false claims from Trump and some others.

Let's just agree to disagree then. I think I had enough hypocrisy for one day.

On topic, sad to see her go. I"m still fairly early on the Mandalorian, but I really enjoyed her character. Honestly though, this move will probably boost her career, as people don't like to see someone being unfairly punished and will rally behind her, making her more desirable for companies to hire. If she hasn't already landed a new gig yet.

I wish her the best of luck!

~Banned -Ryuu96.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 13 February 2021

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

vivster said:

Looooool. I just read what she said and holy shit if that isn't the biggest irony coming from a Trump supporter.

"Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors... even by children... Because history is edited, most people today don't realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?"

She talks about people being brainwashed by political leaders. Prime r/selfawarewolves material.

So the targeted and systematic separation and destruction of an ethnic minority is the same as getting kicked off twitter, basically. As if being Jewish in Nazi Germany was a choice in the same way being a conservative trump supporting dipshit now is. And they call the left a bunch of snowflakes.

TallSilhouette said:

Don't feel like arguing about the details of her posts atm, but I find it telling that her first project after this kerfuffle is with The Daily Fucking Wire.

Talk about Mask Off. Lol. I feel bad ever saying anything positive about her.

I'll take the unpopular position:

This for me isn't about whether or not whether Carano's views are generally right. They're not. I disagree with most of the social media content I see from her. But it says something to me that her most controversial remark is a hyperbolic (and yes, insensitively-worded) claim that conservative Americans face viewpoint discrimination and that the company the works for responds...by firing her for her political opinions, thus validating her essential point.

Seriously, it's not as if half the internet hasn't been hyperbolically called a "fascist" by someone before, most often by the very sort of progressives who are supporting Disney's decision in this case. One does wonder whether they'd like to be held to the same standard and lose their jobs as well for reductive online hyperbole.

Freedom of speech means freedom of speech for everyone, not just for those who are right or who's opinions are popular.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 13 February 2021