By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario3D World + Bowsers Fury ~ IGN Review

I agree with IGN's review. One of the dumbest things about 3D World are the lives. If you play multiplayer especially it just gets in the way over and over. Every person I know quickly sets up an unlimited jump on world 1-2 and gets 200 lives, then goes about playing the game. The fact that everyone I know immediately gets 200 lives before playing, enough said about how "lives" in 3D World doesn't make sense...

The game is more expensive than ever, I love the game, one of my favorite games on Wii U. It also only takes a few hours to beat with my friend. That's it. Not a lot of content for $60 (almost $100 in Canada). The new content doesn't have the co-op support of the old content either. It's fine, but it is Xbox 360 level graphics in 2021. I love the game, but I don't think there is value for someone like me that has played it before. It hasn't been upgraded, no "double the frame rate" or remastered graphics here.

I personally think Nintendo should change the price to $40 and then it might deserve an 8 or 9. I don't think the game is so amazing so much as the fun I have with my best friend playing it, and that should be reflected in the score. It's an 8 at best for a single player game, and a solid 9/10 for co-op, at a lower price.

I'm going to be buying Mass Effect Legendary Edition for $60. Then instead of less than 10 hours of content, I'll have over 100 hours. The first game will be remastered and new features added across all 3, textures upgraded to PS4 level. That's a $60 release in 2021.

Last edited by Alistair - on 14 February 2021

Around the Network

It’s personally a 10 out pf 10 game in my book. Got it and did everything on the Wii U version, and will do it all again on the Switch version, Champion’s Road be damned!

I have yet to play Bowser’s Fury, since I just managed to finally get a PS5. So I’ve been mostly gaming on it and testing BC enhanced games on it. I also have to mention that Team Asobi may very well be the “Nintendo” of Sony, after having played Astro’s Playroom. This pack-in game reminds me a lot of Nintendo’s design DNA.

But I digress. I have the next two days off, so I’ll get to Bowser’s Fury tomorrow. From what I saw, it looks really fun and different enough from other 3D Mario.

hinch said:
dx11332sega said:

I'm still perplexed why a 7?

Non effort port and a smallish DLC for full price and full release. I mean its a great game but a low-key effort from Nintendo that not everyone will appreciate. Particularly if you already played it already on on Wii U. Otherise, its a must have for any Switch owner.

They didn't give it a 7 because it's a low effort port, they did it because the game kind of sucks, according to the reviewer. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Alistair said:

I agree with IGN's review. One of the dumbest things about 3D World are the lives. If you play multiplayer especially it just gets in the way over and over. Every person I know quickly sets up an unlimited jump on world 1-2 and gets 200 lives, then goes about playing the game. The fact that everyone I know immediately gets 200 lives before playing, enough said about how "lives" in 3D World doesn't make sense...

It also only takes a few hours to beat with my friend.

The new content doesn't have the co-op support of the old content either. 

I find people interesting.  For starters my nine year old twin girls have made it to level 4 without having to worry about lives...  but full grown adults, whom are suppose to be hardcore gamers, need 200 lives?  I also find it odd people are worried about lives.  For starters the game saves after each level, literally after each level (not world, but level).  And when playing if a player runs out lives, they simply reappear with 5 more lives per character.  So if you are playing 4 player, 3 people die and there are no lives left, after the level the game saves and 15 lives are given out.  I fully respect the opinions of others, but I simply do not get this one.  What is the concern with running out of lives?  Simply reappearing with more lives?    

The game is shorter than  many, but a few hours seems like a gross exaggeration unless you are speed running the game.  Main story is 10 hours, with a completionists at 38 hours (https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=9362).  

I don't fully understand you coop comment.  The new content isn't 4-player, but still supports coop.  Frankly one of the reasons I love Nintendo, is they are the only ones left who support couch coop.  

As for my opinion, the game is really good.  The largest complaint I have (which IGN hit on) is after about world 3, 4 player is just a non go.  Far too hectic with too much going on.  Two player is optimal.  

The game is not a 7 any way you slice it

Around the Network

Having replayed the game, the score is insane, regardless of what they gave the original.

The level design here is simply on another level. The amount of creativity on display and variety is amazing. Too good for it to be dragged below an 8 by dumb shit like "you lose your power up when you die" or "multiple people can't pick the same characters". Stuff like that is the difference between a 9 and a 9.5, not the difference between a 7 and a 9.

My biggest complaint is that the controls just don't feel as tight as in other Mario games. It was designed for players to be able to play it with a Wii-mote originally, so the controls were compromised, You have an 8 way run, which works fine most of the time because the levels are designed mostly around this. But in the few occasions where you need more subtle control, it feels off. Also, the momentum based running system is so awkward compared to other 3D Marios.

Still, the game is great. I like the more linear style of Mario 3D, and whereas 3D Land was fun and basic, this is them really pushing the envelope. 3D World is worthwhile (if you don't have the Wii U version) on its own. Bowser's fury is much more meaty than I thought. I think it's be a good 5 hours if you were only looking to see the credits. I think I'm something like 10 hours in trying to get every cat shine. It feels kind of like they took ideas that were left on the cutting room floor and strung them together into an open world setting. It doesn't feel as cohesive as something like a world in Galaxy and each of the islands kind of lack identity. But it's still a fun diversion and the kaiju battles are fun if again a little half baked. Would have really been nice if they had true co-op play, and maybe a few new power ups and gimmicks (aside from Giga Cat) to play around with rather than sticking to what was found in 3D World. It's mostly more of an already good thing, which is fine. If it were 15 dollar DLC, it'd be a solid 8/10.

The whole package I would rate probably a 9.5. The core of Mario 3D World is really amazing due to the level design which is the most important factor in a platformer by far. The control issues, and some of the minor flaws (game not always feeling well balanced for multiplayer, lackluster boss fights, and I may be in the minority but I think the Cat powerup is one of the less fun ones in Mario history and wish it was emphasized less) would bring it to around a 9, but Bowser's fury nudges it back up a little.

The only problem is that if you were a Wii U owner, you've likely played this before, and it kind of sucks that you have to rebuy the whole package. I enjoyed playing 3D World again, but even with the minor tweaks, I think I'd still have opted to replay it on the Wii U and pay 15 bucks for Bowser's fury if that were available. Maybe I'll feel different when the pandemic is over, and I have a commute again.

JWeinCom said:

Having replayed the game, the score is insane, regardless of what they gave the original.

The level design here is simply on another level. The amount of creativity on display and variety is amazing. Too good for it to be dragged below an 8 by dumb shit like "you lose your power up when you die" or "multiple people can't pick the same characters". Stuff like that is the difference between a 9 and a 9.5, not the difference between a 7 and a 9.

My biggest complaint is that the controls just don't feel as tight as in other Mario games. It was designed for players to be able to play it with a Wii-mote originally, so the controls were compromised, You have an 8 way run, which works fine most of the time because the levels are designed mostly around this. But in the few occasions where you need more subtle control, it feels off. Also, the momentum based running system is so awkward compared to other 3D Marios.

Still, the game is great. I like the more linear style of Mario 3D, and whereas 3D Land was fun and basic, this is them really pushing the envelope. 3D World is worthwhile (if you don't have the Wii U version) on its own. Bowser's fury is much more meaty than I thought. I think it's be a good 5 hours if you were only looking to see the credits. I think I'm something like 10 hours in trying to get every cat shine. It feels kind of like they took ideas that were left on the cutting room floor and strung them together into an open world setting. It doesn't feel as cohesive as something like a world in Galaxy and each of the islands kind of lack identity. But it's still a fun diversion and the kaiju battles are fun if again a little half baked. Would have really been nice if they had true co-op play, and maybe a few new power ups and gimmicks (aside from Giga Cat) to play around with rather than sticking to what was found in 3D World. It's mostly more of an already good thing, which is fine. If it were 15 dollar DLC, it'd be a solid 8/10.

The whole package I would rate probably a 9.5. The core of Mario 3D World is really amazing due to the level design which is the most important factor in a platformer by far. The control issues, and some of the minor flaws (game not always feeling well balanced for multiplayer, lackluster boss fights, and I may be in the minority but I think the Cat powerup is one of the less fun ones in Mario history and wish it was emphasized less) would bring it to around a 9, but Bowser's fury nudges it back up a little.

The only problem is that if you were a Wii U owner, you've likely played this before, and it kind of sucks that you have to rebuy the whole package. I enjoyed playing 3D World again, but even with the minor tweaks, I think I'd still have opted to replay it on the Wii U and pay 15 bucks for Bowser's fury if that were available. Maybe I'll feel different when the pandemic is over, and I have a commute again.

I think 3D World is usually under appreciated by fans of the usual 3D Mario games. Personally, I prefer that kind of tight level design over the more open world games like 64 or Odyssey. The levels also don’t overstay their welcome, just like in the 2D Mario games. 

I personally don’t have any problem with the 8 way directional controls. I think it’s perfectly suited for the way it was designed. But I agree it probably wouldn’t have broken the game if they had gone for a fully analog directional solution. But what do we know? Maybe they play tested it and found out it was suited to this game’s particular needs.

I re-purchased the game when it was made available for pre-order despite having 100% done the Wii U version. To me, it’s simply that good. The addition of Bowser’s Fury is simply icing on the cake.

That being said, I can’t help but think Bowser’s Fury might be Nintendo testing the water with a fully open world design formula for Mario. I have been dreaming of that kind of Mario game for a long time. Having one huge world packed with tightly designed parkour paths at every turn. And to me, Bowser’s Fury feels like their first step towards that. I hope they iterate on that idea in a full fledged game down the line, and make it much more densely packed with platforming paths, challenges, alternative routes and secrets.

I have yet to try the game in online multiplayer, but I am hoping it is, for once, a good and seemless experience on a Nintendo console.

Hynad said:
JWeinCom said:

I think 3D World is usually under appreciated by fans of the usual 3D Mario games. Personally, I prefer that kind of tight level design over the more open world games like 64 or Odyssey. The levels also don’t overstay their welcome, just like in the 2D Mario games. 

I personally don’t have any problem with the 8 way directional controls. I think it’s perfectly suited for the way it was designed. But I agree it probably wouldn’t have broken the game if they had gone for a fully analog directional solution. But what do we know? Maybe they play tested it and found out it was suited to this game’s particular needs.

I re-purchased the game when it was made available for pre-order despite having 100% done the Wii U version. To me, it’s simply that good. The addition of Bowser’s Fury is simply icing on the cake.

That being said, I can’t help but think Bowser’s Fury might be Nintendo testing the water with a fully open world design formula for Mario. I have been dreaming of that kind of Mario game for a long time. Having one huge world packed with tightly designed parkour paths at every turn. And to me, Bowser’s Fury feels like their first step towards that. I hope they iterate on that idea in a full fledged game down the line, and make it much more densely packed with platforming paths, challenges, alternative routes and secrets.

I have yet to try the game in online multiplayer, but I am hoping it is, for once, a good and seemless experience on a Nintendo console.

I assumed it was done in 3D World to accomodate wii-motes, but I quickly checked in 3D Land, and it was the same way, so I dunno. 8 Way controls do work better in some circumstances, like if you're running on a narrow platform, but overall I think analog works way better. A lot of times I felt like deaths were due to the controls, which is something I never felt in odyssey, even in the harder parts.