By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario3D World + Bowsers Fury ~ IGN Review

I hate that lazy Nintendo is after cheap money, but that's no reason to go from a 9.6 to a 7.0

I believe IGN gives a score based on how good the re-release is rather than how good the actual game is, they are obviously after new players in the biggest part and as such the game must be treated, and I'm pretty sure new players will enjoy this 9.6 masterpiece as much as WiiU owners did in 2013

now by IGN's thinking, a 7.0 almost translates to 'not worth re-buying'

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
JWeinCom said:

Why though? If I'm buying the game in 2021, wouldn't I be more interested in how the game stacks up against games in 2021? I mean, Super Mario Bros was a perfect 10 when it released because it blew everything back then out of the water, but it's not a masterpiece by today's standards.

Not to me. I just beat FF7, gave it a 9.2 based on when it came out and what we could expect of games back then. Should it instead be lower now because compared to brand new games nowadays it is terrible? Absolutely not! If they are remade entirely like FF7R, then yeah it should be reviewed by today's standards. But they didn't, so it should be reviewed by the original 2013 standard. Back then they gave it a 9. This has better speed, additional content, and looks slightly better then before, but nothing they couldn't have done on Wii U if they left it in the cooker a little longer back then.

Yes, it should be rated by today's standards because that's when Nintendo is selling it. The score should be intended to reflect how much I will enjoy it when I purchase it.

Sony just released Sackboy's Big Adventure a few months ago. Nintendo is releasing Super Mario 3D World now. Why shouldn't the two games be judged on the same criteria? If I have to choose which one I want to purchase and play today, why is the fact that 3D World is a port relevant at all?

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 13 February 2021

This is nothing compared to the Gamespot 8.9 review of Twilight Princess.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

It's a different reviewer so they shouldn't be obligated to score it in line with how someone else did over 7 years ago.

Too much Bowser.
7/10 - IGN

Last edited by Azzanation - on 14 February 2021

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

Too much Bowser.
7/10 - IGN

Would be clever... if you hadn’t ripped it off Verter...

Maybe... I don’t know, come up with your own stuff?

Hynad said:
Azzanation said:

Too much Bowser.
7/10 - IGN

Am i suppose to know who that is?

Hynad said:
Azzanation said:

Too much Bowser.
7/10 - IGN

You don't know if he ripped it off or not. Its a pretty obvious joke to make.

pikashoe said:
Hynad said:

Yeah... You’re probably right. That must be the only day he didn’t go to the comment section of the site’s articles.

But at least that joke actually rhymes with water...

Move along.

Hynad said:
pikashoe said:

Yeah... You’re probably right. That must be the only day he didn’t go to the comment section of the site’s articles.

But at least that joke actually rhymes with water...

Move along.

OK dude you do you.