By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January NPD 2021

Jranation said:

Congrats to Switch again! RFA in top 10 is amazing to see. People staying fit and healthy!
And you love to see Just Dance beating Cyberpunk (which dropped massively)

And has TlOU2 (The game of the year in 2020) been charting at all? It's not even in the top 10 for Playstation.

Ring Fit  increased because the chart is revenue based and the game retails higher than most standard games in the top 10, so post holiday if its sales were flat or down, it will bring more revenue than other games, hence it being higher due to that.  Also with Take-Two not reporting digital for NBA2k and GTA V, it skews the top 10 even more.

Around the Network

Switch that high in units without lifting a finger. 2021 will BEAST

These NPD reports are so messed up now, I feel like I'm reading tea leaves.  Where are the numbers?

The top 20 is a mess for so many reasons.  Some games include physical only.  Some include physical + digital.  Some games include PC sales and others don't.  Most third party games combine sales of all platforms, but Minecraft only lists the PS4 version.  You could randomly arrange the order of the 20 top games and it would be just as likely to be correct as what they are currently giving.

Then there are the random Piscatella lines like these:
"Unit sales of Nintendo Switch were the highest of any platform in a January month since the Nintendo Wii in January 2010."
"PlayStation 5 was the best-selling hardware platform in dollars sold in January, with the highest dollar sales total for a January month since the Nintendo Wii in January 2009."

One random fact is in unit sales and the other random fact is in dollars.  Why?  Does this actually tell us anything useful?  It's definitely not consistent.  Maybe Piscatella is trying to be a game designer himself?  He wants us to solve the mystery NPD report.  If you can figure out the actual hardware numbers, then you'll move on to stage 2 which is figuring out the software numbers.

trunkswd said:

I miss the days we got actual numbers from NPD and didn't have to wait for potential leaks.

:(

The_Liquid_Laser said:

These NPD reports are so messed up now, I feel like I'm reading tea leaves.  Where are the numbers?

The top 20 is a mess for so many reasons.  Some games include physical only.  Some include physical + digital.  Some games include PC sales and others don't.  Most third party games combine sales of all platforms, but Minecraft only lists the PS4 version.  You could randomly arrange the order of the 20 top games and it would be just as likely to be correct as what they are currently giving.

"Unit sales of Nintendo Switch were the highest of any platform in a January month since the Nintendo Wii in January 2010."
"PlayStation 5 was the best-selling hardware platform in dollars sold in January, with the highest dollar sales total for a January month since the Nintendo Wii in January 2009."

One random fact is in unit sales and the other random fact is in dollars.  Why?  Does this actually tell us anything useful?  It's definitely not consistent.  Maybe Piscatella is trying to be a game designer himself?  He wants us to solve the mystery NPD report.  If you can figure out the actual hardware numbers, then you'll move on to stage 2 which is figuring out the software numbers.

Exclusion of Take-Two and Nintendo digital really makes the software chart useless.  

IE GTA V just had its 2nd best selling year ever and ACNH just sold 31M in 9 months but we don't really get that narrative with any of the charts for the past year.  It's a poor picture of the market.

Around the Network
mk7sx said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Exclusion of Take-Two and Nintendo digital really makes the software chart useless.  

IE GTA V just had its 2nd best selling year ever and ACNH just sold 31M in 9 months but we don't really get that narrative with any of the charts for the past year.  It's a poor picture of the market.

agreed. three charts is a better way ( digital only, physical only, and combined) 

Agente42 said:
mk7sx said:

agreed. three charts is a better way ( digital only, physical only, and combined) 

Totally agreed, here in Europe GSD and GFK did that with 2020 Europe sales.

Zanark best Inazuma Eleven pg

It looks like the PS5 and Switch are undertracked based on some of the figures posted in this thread. I wonder how long the Switch's NPD streak is going to last. Impressive record, but if it weren't for the supply issues at launch, PS5 would have broken it back in November.

Sony continues to make bank on accessories. The Dualsense and 3D Headset alone might make up for the loss on PS5 hardware lol. Great legs for Miles Morales and Demon's Souls.

PotentHerbs said:

It looks like the PS5 and Switch are undertracked based on some of the figures posted in this thread. I wonder how long the Switch's NPD streak is going to last. Impressive record, but if it weren't for the supply issues at launch, PS5 would have broken it back in November.

Sony continues to make bank on accessories. The Dualsense and 3D Headset alone might make up for the loss on PS5 hardware lol. Great legs for Miles Morales and Demon's Souls.

A bit of a mute point since the Switch was/is also supply constrained in the US.

But it's true ofc that the PS5 (and many other consoles) could sell insane amounts at launch if supply wasn't a limiting factor.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:
PotentHerbs said:

A bit of a mute point since the Switch was/is also supply constrained in the US.

But it's true ofc that the PS5 (and many other consoles) could sell insane amounts at launch if supply wasn't a limiting factor.

Switch standard is out of stock cte or suffers any stock limitation. Nobody wants Switch lite as a substitute its seems.