By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo online 2.0

Nintendo online now has more than 30 million subscribers.. It's cheap, we get access to nostalgic NES and SNES titles.. Tetris99 and SMB35. cloud and few other things.. This is the "best case scenario" we could hope for when Nintendo also started charging for online.

Free N64 games.. that would be nice.. but we all know that there will come some N+ thing.. a more expensive subscription option at some point.. How will they do it?

I think they will come out very soon.. guns blazing.. N64 - some GC games - some Wii Games - mayby even a WiiU game.. and I expect atleast 2 "nintendo software" And lastly that they will make some kind of N+ member exclusive reward store..program.. we gonna like :)

Around the Network

Did you know that Nintendo is now changing its 18 years-old online infrastructure? They're going from NEX to NPLN and Monster Hunter Rise is the first title that will support it. Btw, the Monster Hunter demo was a way to test how NPLN worked under load.

GuyDuke said:

Did you know that Nintendo is now changing its 18 years-old online infrastructure? They're going from NEX to NPLN and Monster Hunter Rise is the first title that will support it. Btw, the Monster Hunter demo was a way to test how NPLN worked under load.

No I didn't know that.. interesting.

I suspect they will increase the price of Online by like $10-20 more for a year once N64/Gameboy are added. Then they will add GameCube, GBA, and DS for free, before upping it another $20 (for a total of $60 a year) for Wii/DS/3DS. I don't even have issues with that. There are a ton of games I appreciate having access to for this level of pay.

GuyDuke said:

This is great news, especially considering Nintendo's online has been known for a while for being pretty janky and a game like MH Rise will need solid online infrastructure to hit its full potential.

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/376287-nintendo-revamps-its-multiplayer-server-system

Around the Network
GuyDuke said:

I honestly thought the thread was going to be about this. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Cheap? It's pathetic it cost anything at all, charging customers to online multiplayer is beyond ridiculous. I don't care if it comes along with SNES and NES games you can just remove them and let me play online the Switch games that I've already paid for 

curl-6 said:

This is great news, especially considering Nintendo's online has been known for a while for being pretty janky and a game like MH Rise will need solid online infrastructure to hit its full potential.

There are many titles which need a better online infrastructure. Splatoon 2, Mario Tennis, Mario Kart... everything lags and players with a solid cable upload are in disadvantage to the ones with shaky WLAN. I really should be the other way round.

Mar1217 said:
Dulfite said:

I suspect they will increase the price of Online by like $10-20 more for a year once N64/Gameboy are added. Then they will add GameCube, GBA, and DS for free, before upping it another $20 (for a total of $60 a year) for Wii/DS/3DS. I don't even have issues with that. There are a ton of games I appreciate having access to for this level of pay.

You got some good imagination to think they would increase the price of NSO by 200% in 2 years. 

At best, I say they'll increase by 5$ top.

Well they'd be increasing the catalogue of games by a factor of 5. There are over 100 games available on NES/SNES so let's just assume an average of 50 per platform for the new ones and that's an additional 400 games for a total of 500. All for measly $60 a year (plus online play that is superior to that of the free Wii internet days and free new games like Tetris 99). That's an insane steal. Like Gamepass this service will actually save people like me a lot of money who like to play old games but don't want to buy them individually for $7.99-14.99 each. Heck I'd pay $120 a year for that service just like I do with Gamepass PC.

Metallox said:
GuyDuke said:

I honestly thought the thread was going to be about this. 

I can see the confusion

Dulfite said:

I dont think they will increase the price on online play.

They have worked on a "pro/gold" type of service ever since switch launch.. They will (just like ms and sony did) make an offer you cant refuse

When the new gen setles.. It would be the perfect time to launch.. And that 4k addon to.. Mega Direct.. prepare