By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo online 2.0

Charging for online is a poor practice but that isn't the worst part when it comes to Nintendo, the worst part is charging for online that is significantly worse than the free online on the PS3. At least it seems it'll get upgraded now so they might reach 2006 levels of decent online sometime this decade.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Wyrdness said:

Games have development costs that need covering they can't cover the cost of maintaining servers especially as development costs grow each gen while needing to provide money for future projects.

They can

They just don't need to, as gamers are happy to pay for it and are even defending the companies for charging extra money for playing online

At first both Sony and Nintendo didn't charge for playing online. They changed later when saw the opportunity to get extra cash and embraced it, that's all 

Do you have sources backing this up? Sony and Nintendo charge now because it's not sustainable for closed platforms to have free online services that are trying to be like live they tried to be free as a draw over Live but realize you can't match the infrastructure and features doing that on closed platforms. Maintenance and contracting alone make it impossible.

Capcom makes Switch get 4 gigabytes of RAM.

Monster Hunter Rise Demo is the first MH game to utilize Nintendo's new online infrastructure.

I mean ... what can I say other than praise Capcom

Wyrdness said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

They can

They just don't need to, as gamers are happy to pay for it and are even defending the companies for charging extra money for playing online

At first both Sony and Nintendo didn't charge for playing online. They changed later when saw the opportunity to get extra cash and embraced it, that's all 

Do you have sources backing this up? Sony and Nintendo charge now because it's not sustainable for closed platforms to have free online services that are trying to be like live they tried to be free as a draw over Live but realize you can't match the infrastructure and features doing that on closed platforms. Maintenance and contracting alone make it impossible.

Unfortunately, not. Nor does you in your assertion online is a way to mitigate the ""expenses"" with maintenance. If online multiplayer is a feature to help to sell software, then it should be included as a expense to keep the service running. Even when online multiplayer is helping you to sell MORE software companies are using this feature to not only boost software sales, but also getting an additional income from subscriptions 

For the record Nintendo includes Switch online as a source of digital revenue and even attributes to it a very high importance on the increase of their digital profits. Switch online is not only to make up the investments Nintendo don't want to afford by themselves, but an actual media for getting extra profit 

But worse than companies charging extra money for investments that already bring them money are the customers defending it

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 03 February 2021

IcaroRibeiro said:
Wyrdness said:

Unfortunately, not. Nor does you in your assertion online is a way to mitigate the ""expenses"" with maintenance. If online multiplayer is a feature to help to sell software, then it should be included as a expense to keep the service running. Even when online multiplayer is helping you to sell MORE software companies are using this feature to not only boost software sales, but also getting an additional income from subscriptions 

For the record Nintendo includes Switch online as a source of digital revenue and even attributes to it a very high importance on the increase of their digital profits. Switch online is not only to make up the investments Nintendo don't want to afford by themselves, but an actual media for getting extra profit 

But worse than companies charging extra money for investments that already bring them money are the customers defending it

Except what I told you is not an assertion it's an objective running online services incurs costs with maintenance  and contracting being the ongoing cost this isn't subjective as so far you seem more intent on attacking people who don't agree, games bring in money to not only cover development costs but as a means for a platform to make a platform holder money hence license fees and so on these also go into RnD for development of future hardware and software as businesses are ran with the long term in mind. To simply say well it makes enough money to cover online costs is disingenuous because it doesn't that's why MMORPGs have been charging subscriptions since the 90s despite PCs being open platforms.

Ofcourse online is important for digital revenue how else do you do digital with out an online infrastructure, Switch Online is the to move with the times in their own way.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Wyrdness said:

But worse than companies charging extra money for investments that already brings than money are the customers defending it

Me and others are not defending Nintendo.. but explaining why Nintendo offcourse have to charge some for the online.. But you do attack.

When we point out the fact that Nintendo keept online free in console space for years.. Or that the price is very low compared to the competition and what most analyst/gamers thougt they would charge.. and they even added SNES and unikke games like Tetris99 SMB35 AFTER that.. You just go on about.. they only do it to earn more.. what the f... offcourse they do.. but so are all other dompanys in the world.. why point out Nintendo?

You think when Nintendo makes lets say MK online for the first time on DS.. and they in the next MK games use more and time on the online part.. Then is just the price of the game (a price that has been stady since) that has to cover that.. And all the other expenses that are with running a +30 million online infrastructure.. meaning you will have all the players that only use offline.. to pay for the ones that uses it.. Not that fair.

But this is not about a price we have known for more than 3 years.. or how many people enjoying it.. It's about Nintendos MORE expensive.. bound to come Premium subscription.

i appreciate your optimism. today i played rocket league on ps4 for free. why do i bring that up when i could do the same thing on switch? cuz i did so while talking with my friend through party chat... which is also free. The one and only oooonly thing nice i can say about nso is this is the best smash bros has ever worked on a nintendo online service. thats it. I was open to the idea of paying for online if it meant a better online service from nintnendo. I don't think the price is worth it. solid performance and voice chat is all that i asked. no nes games, no exclusive games, just basic online gaming service done well.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Cheap? It's pathetic it cost anything at all, charging customers to online multiplayer is beyond ridiculous. I don't care if it comes along with SNES and NES games you can just remove them and let me play online the Switch games that I've already paid for 

you know what's surprising is i half agree with you.  Weird cuz it seems like the kind of thing i'd be totally on board with.  I think what has been baffling me is the rise of free games.  It would make more sense to me if the free games like rocket league and dungeon defenders 2 required an online subscription like psn or nso, but the games like overwatch and battleborn didn't.  The weird middle exception is games like borderlands and doom.  I get those games for the campain.  So if they come with an "optional" feature like online play i wouldn't mind paying the psn or nso for that either.  But like i said, i'm completely with you with games like overwatch and battleborn.  I got battleborn at launch and now the servers are closed.  That game copy now has 0  value.  That's so lame.  But yeah, it's so weird to me that free online games don't require a sub, but paid games do.  

That was not what I was hopping for.. It's a pass for me at the moment.. but still hope they will do a 7 days trial just to tjek out how N64 is on switch.