By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo online 2.0

curl-6 said:
GuyDuke said:

Did you know that Nintendo is now changing its 18 years-old online infrastructure? They're going from NEX to NPLN and Monster Hunter Rise is the first title that will support it. Btw, the Monster Hunter demo was a way to test how NPLN worked under load.

This is great news, especially considering Nintendo's online has been known for a while for being pretty janky and a game like MH Rise will need solid online infrastructure to hit its full potential.

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/376287-nintendo-revamps-its-multiplayer-server-system

I heard so far that the experience is pretty great for MHR.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

Cheap? It's pathetic it cost anything at all, charging customers to online multiplayer is beyond ridiculous. I don't care if it comes along with SNES and NES games you can just remove them and let me play online the Switch games that I've already paid for 

This.

Ka-pi96 said:

How about letting people actually buy the games that are available on it, rather than forcing them to get a subscription?

Also this.

Ka-pi96 said:

How about letting people actually buy the games that are available on it, rather than forcing them to get a subscription?

It will be exiting to see how they will do it for sure ;)

Ka-pi96 said:
FromDK said:

It will be exiting to see how they will do it for sure ;)

Not at all.

It will be either disappointing, or returning to the way they've done virtual console releases in the past. Returning to the status quo isn't exciting. Things being worse certainly isn't exciting.

Shouldent surprise me that you are the type that see the glass as half empty :)

Anyway in the real world Nintendo is on top of their game.. And I guarantee you.. their"answer" to ps+gold.. gamepass.. free ps4 games on ps5.. psnow....  Will be a litle more "offensive" than that.

Ka-pi96 said:
FromDK said:

Shouldent surprise me that you are the type that see the glass as half empty :)

Anyway in the real world Nintendo is on top of their game.. And I guarantee you.. their"answer" to ps+gold.. gamepass.. free ps4 games on ps5.. psnow....  Will be a litle more "offensive" than that.

Because I don't like people trying to gouge money out of me? Jog on.

Forced subscriptions are a terrible practice. Let people just buy the games. The only time forced subscriptions are justifiable are for MMOs when there's ongoing development/server costs. Those NES/SNES games they've released have no ongoing costs whatsoever and it's just greedy to expect people to continue paying every single month for them when it should be just a once off purchase like every other game.

I hope I didn't get you upset.. that was not my intention.. all is fine :)

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

Cheap? It's pathetic it cost anything at all, charging customers to online multiplayer is beyond ridiculous. I don't care if it comes along with SNES and NES games you can just remove them and let me play online the Switch games that I've already paid for 

Yeah, fuck the costs for hardware, electricity, installation / configuration, and maintenance. Screw those service contracts no company needs. We demand everything for FREE! And make sure it works for 80+ million potential customers. While you are at it, I want my virtual console games for free! I paid for them already on the Wii. I don't care what it takes to make them work on the Switch. Just give them to me.

Tell me what's wrong about it. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Yeah, fuck the costs for hardware, electricity, installation / configuration, and maintenance. Screw those service contracts no company needs. We demand everything for FREE! And make sure it works for 80+ million potential customers. While you are at it, I want my virtual console games for free! I paid for them already on the Wii. I don't care what it takes to make them work on the Switch. Just give them to me.

Are you forgetting Nintendo already got their money from every single game they sell? Games that sells EXACTLY because of the online multiplayer

Online multiplayer is the reason behind of the sales of so many of its IPs. Remove multiplayer from Splatoon that I doubt it would move over 2 million copies 

Ans then what Nintendo does? Charge an additional fee for people to enjoy how the games were supposed to be played in first place 

This is a much worse practice than DLC or microtransactions 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Peh said:

Are you forgetting Nintendo already got their money from every single game they sell? Games that sells EXACTLY because of the online multiplayer

Online multiplayer is the reason behind of the sales of so many of its IPs. Remove multiplayer from Splatoon that I doubt it would move over 2 million copies 

Ans then what Nintendo does? Charge an additional fee for people to enjoy how the games were supposed to be played in first place 

You are justifying your position by intentionally only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

You are justifying your position by intentionally only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Why are you talking as if Nintendo needs to charge anything at all?  

I would understand charge an additional price for a periferic that you need to experience the game (like Ring Fit Adventure), but for online? It's standard for all A and AAA games that have multiplayer. The costs of running the servers must be included as a liability to keeps those games selling and absolutely  nothing you are going to say will change my mind, at least not while Nintendo still selling million and millions multiplayer games each quarter 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Peh said:

Why are you talking as if Nintendo needs to charge anything at all?  

I would understand charge an additional price for a periferic that you need to experience the game (like Ring Fit Adventure), but for online? It's standard for all A and AAA games that have multiplayer. The costs of running the servers must be included as a liability to keeps those games selling and absolutely  nothing you are going to say will change my mind, at least not while Nintendo still selling million and millions multiplayer games each quarter 

Nintendo is not running their servers for their own library of games only. Third party games are also part of the online subscription and are running on their server farm. There are exceptions like Fortnite. So every Indy developer who builds a multiplayer game does not have to pay for their own servers hosting online session. They will be added to Nintendo's server farm.

Those servers usually run for years and cost millions of dollars depending on the capacity and contracts they have. It's not just just one server farm at one location. They are around the globe. The games prices can't fully cover the costs needed for maintaining them.

By your logic, World of Warcaft should be also free off additional fees for its online part, since the costs should be fully covered by the games price. That logic is flawed. Nothing is free. 

It also doesn't matter how outdated the tech is. It still produces massive costs that needs to be paid. A migration to a newer tech is also not that simple, since that can take take years to be fully complete. And of course a lot of money that has to come from somewhere.

You need to learn how stuff is running in the background. It's not as simple as you think it is.