Super NES 50 35.97%

Megadrive/Genesis 1 0.72%

PS1 50 35.97%

N64 18 12.95%

Saturn 3 2.16%

Dreamcast 4 2.88%

Other 4 2.88%

Total:139

Ps1 by far. So many great games and new franchises born.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

SNES because its games hold up better than the other systems. PS1 hasn't aged very well due to polygon graphics. Genesis has a massive library just brimming with hidden gems, but several SNES games are borderline perfect. Chrono Trigger, FF6, Super Mario World, LttP, and Super Metroid were groundbreaking, and still hold up well today.

Depends on the games. I could make a long list of PS1 and Saturn games that held up well great in spite of the limited 3D capabilities.

5th gen consoles have tons of gems as well. They just haven't gotten as much attention or rereleases.

5th gen consoles arguably had better or more notable JRPGs. They had much better fighting games, which certainly mattered to me. Lots of arcade ports that were much closer than the previous gen. Super Metroid is notable but so is Castlvania: SOTN. Super Mario World is one of the greatest games ever, there is no equal.

Yeah was the golden age for JRPG's.. On PSX we had; Final Fantasy Tactics, FF7/8/9, LoD, Chrono Trigger, Cronos Cross, Vagrant Story and Xenogears. And fighting games Tekken 3, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Dead or Alive, Read to Rumble Boxing Round 2 and more.

Last edited by hinch - on 03 February 2021

Mr Puggsly said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

SNES because its games hold up better than the other systems. PS1 hasn't aged very well due to polygon graphics. Genesis has a massive library just brimming with hidden gems, but several SNES games are borderline perfect. Chrono Trigger, FF6, Super Mario World, LttP, and Super Metroid were groundbreaking, and still hold up well today.

Depends on the games. I could make a long list of PS1 and Saturn games that held up well great in spite of the limited 3D capabilities.

5th gen consoles have tons of gems as well. They just haven't gotten as much attention or rereleases.

5th gen consoles arguably had better or more notable JRPGs. They had much better fighting games, which certainly mattered to me. Lots of arcade ports that were much closer than the previous gen. Super Metroid is notable but so is Castlvania: SOTN. Super Mario World is one of the greatest games ever, there is no equal.

IMO it's mostly 2D games, and JRPGs that hold up well on PS1. But Chrono Trigger and FF6 were the pinnacle of the JRPG back in the 90's. Some say even the pinnacle now.

But anyway, give me your list of what holds up well on PS1. I'm always looking for more games to play.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 03 February 2021

Personally I would say SNES, games are still amazing to this day. For the gaming industry I would have to say the NES because it saved the industry.

Nintendo with the Switch:

PS1 is the greatest console of all time based on initial impact for me and amount of quality it games it had for the time.

I owned: FFVII-IX, Origins, Anthologies - Tekken 1-3 - Wipeout/XL - Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer Revolution, Rage Racer, R4 - Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver, Silent Hill, Vagrant Story, MGS, Chrono Cross, Castlevania: SotN, RE, RE2, Parasite Eve, etc. 

This console had the most lasting impression on me.

The PS2 is a close second, however (Shadow of the Colossus and Silent Hill 2 both in my top 5 of all time)...but the 3 best FF games alone on PS1 alone would make me choose the PS1.

Around the Network

I think the best was Genesis/Mega Drive, by a wide margin. Then its SNES and PSX more or less tied for second. How anyone can vote for any other system is beyond my ability to comprehend, unless they just weren't around back then.

Last edited by VAMatt - on 03 February 2021

VAMatt said:

I think the best was Genesis/Mega Drive, by a wide margin. Then its SNES and PSX more or less tied for second. How anyone can votenfor any other system is beyond my ability to comprehend, unless they just weren't around back then.

Genesis/Mega Drive had a ton of games. The main issue with it was that a lot of them were very short. Nintendo, Squaresoft, and a few others made all these super long SNES games that make most Genesis games feel too short. Sonic 1-2 have 40 levels altogether, but Super Mario World has 72 levels. It would take 3 Sonic games to equal the size of just SMW (Unless you count the Emerald Levels). Lots of games on the Genesis are great, but over far too quickly.

That being said, I still think Genesis/Megadrive is just as valid as an answer to this question as PS1/SNES. Probably even more so than PS1, since most Genesis games hold up far better than PS1 games.

P.S. I was around at the time, and had a Genesis. It wasn't until decades later that I started discovering all the Genesis' hidden gems like Giaares, Chiki Chiki Boys, Dune, MUSHA, Crusader of Centy, Elemental Master, El Viento, Trouble Shooter, Pirates Gold, Marvel Land, Target Earth, Alien Soldier, Warsong, etc.(And yes, I know these aren't hidden gems anymore. But they were back in the Genesis' heyday, which is my point.)

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 03 February 2021

scottslater said:

Personally I would say SNES, games are still amazing to this day. For the gaming industry I would have to say the NES because it saved the industry.

Saved it from what? Existence?

Hynad said:
scottslater said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983

The home console gaming industry almost ended...

Last edited by scottslater - on 03 February 2021

Nintendo with the Switch:

scottslater said:
Hynad said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983

The home console gaming industry almost ended...

No. It did not.

That’s like saying the stock market almost cease to exist whenever there’s a stock market crash.