N64 18 12.95%

Saturn 3 2.16%

Dreamcast 4 2.88%

Other 4 2.88%

Total:139
Hynad said:
scottslater said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983

The home console gaming industry almost ended...

No. It did not.

That’s like saying the stock market almost cease to exist whenever there’s a stock market crash.

Not remotely the same thing.

Nintendo with the Switch:

Around the Network
scottslater said:
Hynad said:

No. It did not.

That’s like saying the stock market almost cease to exist whenever there’s a stock market crash.

The NES wasn’t the only console being developed during the crash period and released around that time. Those other consoles would still have released had Nintendo made the NES or not.

Hynad said:
scottslater said:

The NES wasn’t the only console being developed during the crash period and released around the same time. Those other consoles would still have released had Nintendo made the NES or not.

The overall point here is that the NES was the first console to become a huge sensation among NA retailers since the crash. That's what he means by "saving the industry". 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

VAMatt said:

I think the best was Genesis/Mega Drive, by a wide margin. Then its SNES and PSX more or less tied for second. How anyone can vote for any other system is beyond my ability to comprehend, unless they just weren't around back then.

I was around for all of it, and still prefer the N64. 

For me, it's about which games would I still go back to play now. When I play pre 2000 games, it's most often N64 games. 

SNES and NES have a lot of games that were and are still great, but for most of those, there are games on modern systems that are about as good or better. (I.e. Tropical Freeze for DKC 2, Link Between Worlds for LTTP, etc.)

For PSX, I think the games just haven't aged as well due to the graphics not holding up well and the lack of analog control. 

So, N64 is in that sweet spot, where the games still offer an experience I can't quite get today (ignoring the existence of remakes and ports), while still holding up fairly well. So, for me, that's the best. If you wanted to define best as overall library quality or influence my answer would be different, but best is going to mean different things to different people. 

Even the games I listed for SNES are just scratching the surface of it's godly library, I didn't even mention Contra III, Castlevania IV, Kirby's Dreamland 3, the Super Star Wars trilogy, Killer Instinct, Kirby's Ghost Trap, Super R-Type, R-Type III, Gradius III, Pop'n Twinbee, Street Fighter II, Super Punch-Out...

Unlike future Nintendo consoles it brought the full force of both Nintendo's incredible first party gems and the best of the world's third party publishers in a single package that was packed to bursting point with top notch content.

It also didn't suffer from the drawbacks of early CD based systems like the PS1; load times were basically instantaneous and both the games and the hardware were durable as an old school Nokia phone.

VAMatt said:

I think the best was Genesis/Mega Drive, by a wide margin. Then its SNES and PSX more or less tied for second. How anyone can vote for any other system is beyond my ability to comprehend, unless they just weren't around back then.

I was around for it, even played on both SNES and Megadrive. I did like the latter but the former was by far superior; more great games, nicer visuals, vastly superior sound, and a more comfortable controller.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 February 2021

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Even the games I listed for SNES are just scratching the surface of it's godly library, I didn't even mention Contra III, Castlevania IV, Kirby's Dreamland 3, the Super Star Wars trilogy, Killer Instinct, Kirby's Ghost Trap, Super R-Type, R-Type III, Gradius III, Pop'n Twinbee, Street Fighter II, Super Punch-Out...

Unlike future Nintendo consoles it brought the full force of both Nintendo's incredible first party gems and the best of the world's third party publishers in a single package that was packed to bursting point with top notch content.

It also didn't suffer from the drawbacks of early CD based systems like the PS1; load times were basically instantaneous and both the games and the hardware were durable as an old school Nokia phone.

VAMatt said:

I was around for it, even played on both SNES and Megadrive. I did like the latter but the former was by far superior; more great games, nicer visuals, vastly superior sound, and a more comfortable controller.

The controller is amazing, dude. Was it the first one to have the modern layout of the four face buttons? If it was, then it's got the credit for being the father of most of today's controllers. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
curl-6 said:

The controller is amazing, dude. Was it the first one to have the modern layout of the four face buttons? If it was, then it's got the credit for being the father of most of today's controllers. 

I actually think the bigger innovation from the SNES controller was shoulder buttons. Those were huge, and much better than having six buttons on the face like the Genesis/Mega Drive (However, the small size of the SNES controller was less comfortable for some people to hold versus the Genesis). I don't think it's really the father of modern controllers though.  It was a step forward.  It added shoulders, later we added bumpers, an analog stick, dual analog sticks, haptic feedback, etc.  So, it's been an evolution.  

Super Nintendo. That's the console that has Chrono Trigger, FF VI and Super Metroid

Megadrive finally gets a vote. I honestly didn't expect the Saturn to get more votes than it given how little love Sega's 5th gen console gets compared to its predecessor in general.

PS1. I still remember the impact i had with Demo1. Coolboarders, Ridge Racer, Tekken, Battle arena toshiden!