PS1 50 35.97%

N64 18 12.95%

Saturn 3 2.16%

Dreamcast 4 2.88%

Other 4 2.88%

Total:139

Definitely PS1 for me.

Around the Network

I've picked the N64 and it's a little controversial.
The system itself is brilliant and bringing 4 player local co op to the mainstream is a massive feather in the cap of the system....
However, the library is a little sparse and if I'm honest there's only about 20-25 games on the system I think are really good. So why have I chosen it? Because it was the first time I truly felt the Nintendo magic. It was the first time I realised that Nintendo was different to other hardware manufacturers and there was an emphasis on quality in their 1st party software that the others couldn't match. It was the first time I realised that I prefer Japanese games compared to western games where you pretty much shoot all the time.
Since the N64 I've been a devoted fan and it's become a love affair. I've collected all their consoles and a ton of games.... I love it.

I owned: SNES, PS1 and N64.

drkohler said:

The fact that nobody mentions the Amiga tells us everything about the average age of the people in here (Yes I'm that old...).

Yeah, there are a lot of young people on here, but there is an "other" option in the poll.  I remember both the Amiga and the C64.  They didn't even have room for the Atari 2600 in the poll, so I can't blame them for not including the Amiga.

Bristow9091 said:
TruckOSaurus said:

SNES then PS1. In general, SNES games stood the test of time much better than PS1 games.

My favorites were Chrono Trigger, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy IV, Secret of Mana, Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Super Punch Out!! for the SNES

And Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Tenchu: Stealth Assassins, Final Fantasy Tactics, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for the PS1

... Eh?

Oops copied too far from my list.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

My personal choice is of course bias, but I'm totally going for the Dreamcast. It was between it and SNES. The Dreamcast was definitely ahead of it's time with some of the most enjoyable games to date. A lot of them were exclusive to the Dreamcast. The games, online, VMU, etc. I absolutely adore it. I know I'm in the minority, but I just loved it. Still do and mines is in pristine condition along with my games. Not a scratch on them. SNES was everything and more. I could list a million reasons why it should be #1, but I would spend too much time trying to narrow down thee best reason.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

I have nothing but respect for classic platforms older than the NES, but the best games came a little later. SNES, Genesis and PS1 can consider themselves kings in that regard.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Really hard for me to choose between the SNES and the PS1.

And a honorable mention to the Dreamcast.

PC Engine

RolStoppable said:
drkohler said:

The fact that nobody mentions the Amiga tells us everything about the average age of the people in here (Yes I'm that old...).

It's not only the Amiga CD32 that has been omitted, but other garbage consoles like the Philips CD-i and Atari Jaguar aren't on anybody's radar either. I could understand it if someone complained about the lack of the Atari 2600 in the poll because that's a legitimate complaint, but obscure rubbish from the 20th century doesn't need to be mentioned when the thread concerns what the best console was.

Of course, when you say "the Amiga", you are likely talking about the home computer Amiga 500 which isn't eligible for the discussion to begin with. But even if it was, it wouldn't stand a chance against any of the winners of the console generations of the 20th century. It wasn't a coincidence that these home computers vanished from the market; they constituted a middleground between consoles and PCs, and that's basically all they had going for them. Consoles were cheaper and had the better games while PCs had better graphics and audio (so by extension better games too) on top of being more capable multipurpose machines. Home computers were beaten decisively on both ends.

I still own an amiga  but agree with your stance that it wouldn't stand a chance, but I disagree with the PC had better graphics and audio,sure overtime they did but at the time no, there was a reason why Amiga dominated TV production at the time and was used to make babylon 5, and had true multitasking something that Bill Gates declared at the time would cost $10,000.

In those days PC were seen as  business machines and the Amiga's capabilities while it's strong point was it's weakness in that apart from studio production and use by some small shop owners it was seen as just a home computer and commodores mismanagement didn't help things, also the truth is and I'm pretty sure that it played apart in drkohler's post it sure did with mine, is a bit of sadness in seeing 8-16 bit computers that you grew up with and loved and a not insignificant part of gaming history having it's legacy forgotten.

Sorry about the ramble Rol and going off topic.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 06 February 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot