By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best remake on Super Mario All-Stars (SNES)

The best remake is...

...Super Mario Bros. 4 28.57%

...Super Mario Bros. 2 0 0%

...Super Mario Bros. 3 10 71.43%

...Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels 0 0%

Total:14

Which remake in Super Mario All-Stars is the best, and why?

Comparison:

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. 2

Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels:

Around the Network

Probably the lost levels cause it makes the game almost playable.

I'm gonna go with SMB1.
I was a kid when the original released and I'd beaten it a hundred times because, for a while, it was the only game I had. To be honest, I didn't really like it. It was too simple for me.

When I got All-Stars, it felt like a new game. It felt like a good game! Yeah, it was just a graphical overhaul but everything felt exciting and new. SMB2 and SMB3 were already fun to me (with 3 being the best game ever). Finally, SMB1 felt like it belonged.

Lost levels? Beat that one once and swore never to play it, again.

In terms of the visual overhaul, I liked the remaster of SMB1 (and by extension lost levels) as it was the most vibrant and attractive.
While it's a great game, I always felt SMB3's remake had a more drab and less appealing art style by comparison.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 January 2021

Probably SMB1 if I had to pick one. Not keen on the upgrade to SMB2 though, because the sound effects and music just sounds wrong to me.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

I will say the best one was super mario bros 2, since it wasn't really a mario game in the beginning, it looks good with the new vibrant colors and more detailed objects and enviroments.

As for the others i didn't like the changes that in my opinion took some of the identity off from already perfect classic games, in particular i didn't like the recolor they did to the 6-3 level in SMB1 that looked kinda eerie and cool with the gray trees, or the night levels and the underground ones in general that are a lot brighter than the original ones with all the multicolored blinking stars and the background being a darker blue instead of black,also the iconic sounds we all know that have been everywhere even in news in radio and tv, are the NES ones, the sound effects used for the remakes are too high pitched and i think the music kinda has a similar problem, the only thing that was better was the number of toads increasing everytime you reached the end of a Bowser castle, since the lost levels reuses a lot of things from 1 same things apply there.

As for super mario bros 3 you can see that the spritework is practically the same as the NES one just recolored, i think the things that got kinda ruined were the backgrounds of the enviroments, there are a lot of levels where you have the generic elongated semi-cylindrical hills but they are not the problem, the problem is that thick layer of clouds obscuring the hills, the sky and scrolling in a weird manner, also all of the battleship backgrounds and the ambience in all the levels with mostly underwater gameplay were turned to night, the battleships are ok but the underwater levels look kinda blurry and too dark. The ice levels have two backgrounds one with snowy pines and a duller blue in the sky that makes it look good, but then there is another one with the generic hills with just a sprinkle of snow that looks really bad since it gives the appearance of just being another grassy level with a hint of snow just for the sake of difference,

Last edited by foxmccloud64 - on 22 January 2021

I'm going to be a probable outlier here, I'm not a fan of Super Mario All Stars from a graphical standpoint, I like all the original NES graphics the best. I also preferred the NES controller for those games. Although I admit my taste in games is weird - I also prefer Final Fantasy 1 to its remakes... but I actually prefer the remakes of the Dragon Quest games to the NES originals - but that's a rarity for me.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.