By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Dec 27-Jan 2 - Hardware Sales Drop as the Holiday Season Ends

PS4 and Xbone seem to have instantly snapped back to their pre-holiday baselines; still too early to get a read on PS5 and XS.
Switch of course is the elephant in the room, still way above baseline and closing out with one of the biggest years of any system ever, the third biggest if I'm not mistaken with only DS 2008 and 2009 ahead.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

PS4 and Xbone seem to have instantly snapped back to their pre-holiday baselines; still too early to get a read on PS5 and XS.
Switch of course is the elephant in the room, still way above baseline and closing out with one of the biggest years of any system ever, the third biggest if I'm not mistaken with only DS 2008 and 2009 ahead.

I'd expect them to drop more for the following week (Jan 9).

Yeah probably, their new baseline should be lower now they've been replaced.

Maynard_Tool said:

Why are people using the covid argument for 2020 sales....and pretending like covid has already passed? Suddenly it is 2021, and covid is over? If covid was a big reason for switch sales in 2020, well, i guess it will repeat in 2021 because covid is far from over; not much has changed since last year, and vaccination will take a loooong time.

So i guess switch will continue to sell as much as last year, going with that argument

I argued 2021 will be a repeat of 2020 because the vaccine will be pointless once the virus mutates.

Dulfite said:
Maynard_Tool said:

Why are people using the covid argument for 2020 sales....and pretending like covid has already passed? Suddenly it is 2021, and covid is over? If covid was a big reason for switch sales in 2020, well, i guess it will repeat in 2021 because covid is far from over; not much has changed since last year, and vaccination will take a loooong time.

So i guess switch will continue to sell as much as last year, going with that argument

I argued 2021 will be a repeat of 2020 because the vaccine will be pointless once the virus mutates.

Not necessarily, the mutations so far don't seem to be able to counter the vaccine, and now that we have a base formula it's fairly easy to tweak it to match any changes in the virus.

trunkswd said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

400k Switch units in Asia. That is more than any other region sold in total. Wow.

Just over three-quarters of Switch sales in Asia were in Japan. Switch sold an estimated 313,575 units in Japan. Or nearly half of Switch sales or the week. 

There is no doubt that Japan's numbers contributed a lot to this total.  But I am also impressed at the rest of Asia which sold 87k this week.  These are normally several smaller markets like Oceania.  And yet Oceania sold 22k this week.  These smaller Asian (non-Japanese) markets were closer to the Switch sales of NA and Europe this week which were 134k and 124k this week respectively.  These other Asian markets are really gung ho for Switch (at least this week).

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
[...]

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

[...]

Current Plattforms 2020 Total sales still is wrong in this table. It does not include PS5 and XSSX. Need to adjust the calculation.

DaAndy said:
trunkswd said:
[...]

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

[...]

Current Plattforms 2020 Total sales still is wrong in this table. It does not include PS5 and XSSX. Need to adjust the calculation.

The percentages are correct somehow, even though the unit total is wrong for 2020.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Sales Comparison Charts Through January 2

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the five current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One) and two legacy platforms (Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita) over comparable periods for 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020.  Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Switch ended the year with 28.26m in hardware sales.  This does not beat the annual best selling system record set by the DS's best year (2008) of 29.66m.  However this does beat the record for annual home console sales set by the Wii (also 2008) of 24.19m.

Switch now has the top selling year for a home console!

The_Liquid_Laser said:

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Sales Comparison Charts Through January 2

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the five current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One) and two legacy platforms (Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita) over comparable periods for 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020.  Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Switch ended the year with 28.26m in hardware sales.  This does not beat the annual best selling system record set by the DS's best year (2008) of 29.66m.  However this does beat the record for annual home console sales set by the Wii (also 2008) of 24.19m.

Switch now has the top selling year for a home console!

Switch is not a home console 

And even if you count Switch standard as a home console, you need to remove Lite sales first to count it as a home console

So PS4 closes out its last year as a flagship with 8.75 million sales; just a little more than the 8.25 million the PS3 managed in its last year as flagship.