By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Question to non-Americans

My Countries Education System Teaches our history accurately.

Strongly Agree 16 21.62%

Somewhat Agree 29 39.19%

Neutral 7 9.46%

Somewhat Disagree 14 18.92%

Strongly Disagree 8 10.81%

Total:74

Switzerland here, it's okayish. For example, the whole "being neutral" part is glorified, while the fact that we pretty much stole money and gold from dead jews is often neclected.

Last edited by Summerset - on 13 January 2021

Around the Network

I'm from Spain. I would say story is fairly accurate in school and high-school. Even our best moment, from 1500 to 1700 (roughly) is usually taught in a very critical way in order to also explain our eventual downfall.. And books make sure to teach that we brutally slaughtered and enslaved the native americans during the whole America thing.

From 1700s to recent story is all downhill, so it's fairly difficult to say something good about us. It's a trainwreck until this very day.

Zkuq said:

First, I'm Finnish. Now the question.

Everything I can remember seems accurate enough. I can't remember all the older things because it's been a long time since they were taught to me, so I can't really say much about them, but I don't expect many controversies there either (with the possible exception of how the Sámi people were treated).

Yep, we are such a tiny nation that we have pretty much just been getting shafted by our neighbors Sweden and Russia throughout our history.

We did ally with Germany for a while in WWII, we had our own reasons for it and it's always been openly discussed.

Then there was the civil war, I'm under the impression that the atrocities committed between fellow finns had been somewhat downplayed for a long time, until we were ready to talk about them more openly.

The thing is, human history has been universally shitty, every nation has done horrific things to someone and we should just be glad that we have come such a long way. And there's still a long road ahead.

UK here. I don't think we ever covered colonialism and the empire in detail and the negative aspects weren't mentioned e.g the Irish potato famine. We learnt more about the medieval times

Belgian here. Of course history classes in secondary school have a lot of simplifications and perhaps some minor mistakes. But I'm not aware of any really notable mistakes or propaganda. Belgium as a country is not that relevant in our history, since we were not independent until 1830, and these last 190 years are only covered at the end of secondary school (5th year is French Revolution up to World War 1, 6th year is everything after WW1).

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
LittleSnake said:

As an Australian, no. Our education system sucks, they didn't even teach geography! 

I learnt geography was a high school unit lol

Wtf, what state you from? They took all the good shit away from us but hey, I learnt about coaching! ? 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

Brazil here.

Sure we weren't able to go deep since it was only regular school history with limited time, but I would say it was quite accurate on the positives and negatives. I would just say that for the case of where I studied it was a little left wing biased but not to the point of twisting the facts.

From memory I would say we had about 2h of world history and 1h of brazilian story per week. Because well Brazil as country is only 500year old versus about 10000 years we look on world history. So most of what was mentioned by people here on their country history was touched in our classes. I would say general brazilian that done a good school would know more about world history and geography than brazilian history and geography.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 13 January 2021

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

LittleSnake said:
Pemalite said:

They certainly taught me geography in school in Australia.

Weird. Geography wasn't an option, and hasn't been for years. Didn't even learn it in primary school.
You lucky bastard 

Probably need to live in a certain geographical region to get offered that. ;)

curl-6 said:

Australia here.

In school I was taught nearly nothing about the country's violent colonial past including both the genocide of most of the indigenous population and the "stolen generation" just a few decades ago when huge numbers of native children were removed from their parents and placed in white foster homes to try to erase their culture.

They basically make it sound as though the British takeover of the country was peaceful.

We had Aboriginal studies at my schools, even learned the local Aboriginal language...
Social Studies certainly delved into Australia's Colonial past as well.

Going to assume you and Littlesnake are in different states (I'm in South Australia) as education tends to be state controlled hence the discrepancy.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

LittleSnake said:
Cobretti2 said:

I learnt geography was a high school unit lol

Wtf, what state you from? They took all the good shit away from us but hey, I learnt about coaching! 😒 

I was in Tassie, back in the 90s. I did go to a Private school though so not sure if that had anything to do with it. Compared to mainland it was cheap lol

Grade 7 and 8 we did basic introductions to Geography, History, etc and in Grade 9 onwards we kind of got a choice of what we wanted to do in terms of learning more about those topics. Geography or Forgot what it was as that wasn't interesting in grade 9 lol.

In Grade 7 we also did Japanese and French (half year each), then Grade 8 got to pick which one we wanted to continue.

Grade 9 in fact most subjects becoming an option subjects.

Some of these included woodwork, metalwork, music, cooking, art, drama, accounting and a higher level of maths.

The core STEM classes were still a requirement though for all years.

Last edited by Cobretti2 - on 13 January 2021

Flilix said:

Belgian here. Of course history classes in secondary school have a lot of simplifications and perhaps some minor mistakes. But I'm not aware of any really notable mistakes or propaganda. Belgium as a country is not that relevant in our history, since we were not independent until 1830, and these last 190 years are only covered at the end of secondary school (5th year is French Revolution up to World War 1, 6th year is everything after WW1).

So you never learned about the atrocities committed by Leopold II