By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Question to non-Americans

My Countries Education System Teaches our history accurately.

Strongly Agree 14 24.56%

Somewhat Agree 18 31.58%

Neutral 7 12.28%

Somewhat Disagree 11 19.30%

Strongly Disagree 7 12.28%

Total:57

As an Australian, no. Our education system sucks, they didn't even teach geography! 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem 
Around the Network
LittleSnake said:

As an Australian, no. Our education system sucks, they didn't even teach geography! 

They certainly taught me geography in school in Australia.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

First, I'm Finnish. Now the question.

Everything I can remember seems accurate enough. I can't remember all the older things because it's been a long time since they were taught to me, so I can't really say much about them, but I don't expect many controversies there either (with the possible exception of how the Sámi people were treated).

Pemalite said:
LittleSnake said:

They certainly taught me geography in school in Australia.

Weird. Geography wasn't an option, and hasn't been for years. Didn't even learn it in primary school.
You lucky bastard 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem 

Chile here.
in my country goverment still denied the horros of Pinochet dictatorship. History books never mention the workers masacre in the mayority of right wing goverments in the past.
lots of protesters in the october 2019 marches were shot by the police and left blind. Nobody was jailed for this. Some people was even murdered.
My country is a shithole.
P.D : i am not a left wing suporter (in Chile anyone who talk about human rights is labeled "Comunist")

Around the Network

Australia here.

In school I was taught nearly nothing about the country's violent colonial past including both the genocide of most of the indigenous population and the "stolen generation" just a few decades ago when huge numbers of native children were removed from their parents and placed in white foster homes to try to erase their culture.

They basically make it sound as though the British takeover of the country was peaceful.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

English here. Let's see...

We learnt about the Roman Invasion and Boudica. Although I suppose we (the Anglo-Saxons) were still in Denmark/northern Germany at the time so it isn't even our history.
1066. Can't remember learning much if anything about the build up, but definitely learnt about William and the Harolds.
The crusades. Not a lot about the crusades though, mostly just Richard the Lionheart's participation in them.
The black death. Can't remember much about what we were taught, but it was taught.
The English Civil War. Made Ollie look like a good guy and I guess by being anti-monarchy he kind of was so that's not necessarily wrong. They did leave out the Irish genocide though so they did leave out some of the bad stuff there.
World War 2. This got a LOT of attention. Way too much IMO. To the point where WW2 will forever be boring to me now. I get that it was relatively recent and it was a huge war, but it was only 6 years long. Why should like 80% of our history education only cover a 6 year long period? Perhaps the worst part is that WW1 was completely ignored too. That was also pretty recent, and even one of the direct causes of WW2, but nope, let's just completely skip over that and forget it even happened. Didn't learn anything about WW1 until an optional College course about Germany history.

So yeah, I'd say our history education was accurate. It didn't really lie about things. Some things were missed out, but that was true of both good and bad things. It was mind of propagandafied though. Not so much in the sense of trying to make things appear better than they were, but more like it was designed by somebody with a massive boner for WW2 who wanted everybody else to share his fanatical obsession with it.

Raised in the Netherlands, and nope not accurate.

The 17th century was glorified, the golden age, the amazing East India Company. Not much about the Dutch practically starting the slave trade in Africa, Khoikhoi massacre, creating Apartheid and the things they did in Indonesia, like the 1740 Batavia massacre and as recent as the 1947 Rawagede massacre. We did get to learn about the bad things France, Spain and the UK did.

WW2 did get a lot of attention, all the bad things the Germans did at least. The USA was painted in the best possible light, USSR the worst possible, We learned hardly anything about Eastern Europe, everything behind the iron curtain was simply a blank.

Ka-pi96 said:

We learnt about the Roman Invasion and Boudica. Although I suppose we (the Anglo-Saxons) were still in Denmark/northern Germany at the time so it isn't even our history.
1066. Can't remember learning much if anything about the build up, but definitely learnt about William and the Harolds.
The crusades. Not a lot about the crusades though, mostly just Richard the Lionheart's participation in them.
The black death. Can't remember much about what we were taught, but it was taught.
The English Civil War. Made Ollie look like a good guy and I guess by being anti-monarchy he kind of was so that's not necessarily wrong. They did leave out the Irish genocide though so they did leave out some of the bad stuff there.
World War 2. This got a LOT of attention. Way too much IMO. To the point where WW2 will forever be boring to me now. I get that it was relatively recent and it was a huge war, but it was only 6 years long. Why should like 80% of our history education only cover a 6 year long period? Perhaps the worst part is that WW1 was completely ignored too. That was also pretty recent, and even one of the direct causes of WW2, but nope, let's just completely skip over that and forget it even happened. Didn't learn anything about WW1 until an optional College course about Germany history.

So yeah, I'd say our history education was accurate. It didn't really lie about things. Some things were missed out, but that was true of both good and bad things. It was mind of propagandafied though. Not so much in the sense of trying to make things appear better than they were, but more like it was designed by somebody with a massive boner for WW2 who wanted everybody else to share his fanatical obsession with it.

What about colonialism, or relatively more modern international intervention like the Iranian Coup?

My Real Redneck friends

PDF said:
Ka-pi96 said:

What about colonialism, or relatively more modern international intervention like the Iranian Coup?

I don't really remember much colonial stuff. There might have been some, but if there was it was minimal. Absolutely nothing at all after WW2 though.