By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Question to non-Americans

My Countries Education System Teaches our history accurately.

Strongly Agree 16 21.62%

Somewhat Agree 29 39.19%

Neutral 7 9.46%

Somewhat Disagree 14 18.92%

Strongly Disagree 8 10.81%

Total:74

Germany here. Yes. Every other country was mean to us during both World Wars they've started.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network

Also Germany.
Yes to WWII, no to colonialism. Wasn't really talked about.

A lot of glorification and not enough reconciliation.

Too much reconciliation, not enough glorification.

Barozi said:

Also Germany.
Yes to WWII, no to colonialism. Wasn't really talked about.

I mean we're covering basically the entire history of all of Europe, there have to be some parts missing. German colonialism wasn't that big of a deal and had very little impact in history overall. I think it's more prudent to look at other events that happened in the late 19th and early 20th century in Europe. Also it's not really necessary to invoke colonialism to show how mean Germans have been in the past. German schools already do a great job at showing how terrible we were back then.

What I do think is a bit overboard is the extreme victimization of Jews. Yes, Jews have been victims in all of German history, but they're constantly singled out over other marginalized groups, which leads to a heightened feel of collective shame towards the Jews. Extreme respect and learned German shame towards Jews has given them way too much power in modern history. To a point where Jews enjoy even more religious freedom and protection than our local Christianity and that is just weird.

Last edited by vivster - on 12 January 2021

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Tunisia, everything has been pure lies for 24 years or more.
10 years living After a major presidential and social révolution leading to total democracy and freedom in all its forms, and yet, they didnt manage to rectify all that bullshit found in educational Books.

Brazil here. And it depends...our books don't hide the shitty thinks we've done during the slavery era or during our military dictatorship from the 60's to mid 80's, but we have a pretty bad trend of "overpower" our celebrities from the past.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Mexico here.... Pretty much every time we get a new president, children receive different school textbooks with a somewhat different story, according to the president's ideology, and that's just the tip of the iceberg....

Fuchigole said:

Mexico here.... Pretty much every time we get a new president, children receive different school textbooks with a somewhat different story, according to the president's ideology, and that's just the tip of the iceberg....

That's for children's school textbooks, and even those agree that the 19th century was a collosal failure due to the crisis the Viceroyalty lived in its final years and the incompetence of the different governments that followed. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

As an Australian, no. Our education system sucks, they didn't even teach geography! 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem