By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should PS plus titles become permanent buys if you get the DLC for them?

What are your thoughts on this? As most of you are aware you lose access to the "free" PS Plus titles once your subscription runs out.

My question is, should they become permanent in your library if you invest in DLC for them? At the very least their season pass? 

I know this can get tricky but I feel if we buy an extension of the game for a certain amount it would be nice to permanently only the game as well.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

lol what? I never use PS Plus, but you have to buy DLC for the "free" games?

That's actually a good idea. I'd support it, as would most.

But will the deveoplers/publishers?

This would just result in people abusing it. Using PS+ for one month getting the game then not renewing. 3 new games for $10 or whatever. Nope

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Yeah makes sense to me. In most cases the person buying the DLC would pass on the game anyway without it being for free, so it could be looked at as supporting it at a discount.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just make them yours regardless of whether your subscription is still active or not? Easier than having to set things up so games switch over to permanently owned upon buying DLC and also better for the consumer. Plus IIRC that's how Xbox live gold works already.

That's only for xbox 360 titles, xbox one games you need to have a subscription. 

No. If you care about owning games, don't rely on subscriptions. The main purpose of PS plus is for online, not so you can abuse access to 'free games'. If you're not consistently using the multiplayer, you shouldn't have a sub.

I finally cancelled my PS Plus a couple years ago, and the only game I really played that was tied to it was MLB The Show 2019. I just ended up buying the game this year, and even though I got a physical copy the console immediately recognised the game data and asked if I wanted to transfer it all to the physical version. Didn't have to re-install or anything, very painless and simple.

It'd be too easy to abuse. I mean, I'd totally subscribe to PS Plus every now and then if this was the case, whereas right now I never subscribe (because it's simply not worth it to me).

Shaunodon said:

No. If you care about owning games, don't rely on subscriptions. The main purpose of PS plus is for online, not so you can abuse access to 'free games'. If you're not consistently using the multiplayer, you shouldn't have a sub.

I finally cancelled my PS Plus a couple years ago, and the only game I really played that was tied to it was MLB The Show 2019. I just ended up buying the game this year, and even though I got a physical copy the console immediately recognised the game data and asked if I wanted to transfer it all to the physical version. Didn't have to re-install or anything, very painless and simple.

For a very specific type of customer, a player with very narrow tastes who only plays MP games, and cycles around a small selection of said games, that would be true. But taken in as a general rule of thumb, that's a highly dubious idea. There are people who will find value in having access to between 24-36 games this year, to say nothing for the discounts on the games. I could go the whole year without any online activity and be happy with the subscription. Of course, the value of one's subscription increases over time, and therefore the impetus to stay subscribed increases as well. I currently have roughly 500 games in my Plus library. It cost's $50/year for access to that library, which is still growing mind you. That's PEANUTS. My least expensive sub by far. I paid twice as much to sub to VGC last year. And the discounts....I'm picking up games I love for ridiculous prices. So yeah, a month or two without online MP is inconsequential when weighted against the rest of what my sub offers.

@op. No.

-edit I took the time to do a more comprehensive count, and the number of game I have on Plus is appox 380. Ultimately irrelevant to the post, but way more accurate nonetheless.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 02 January 2021

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Not at all.
I'm buying quite a few season passes for games I only get to play through GwG or GamePass. Why should that suddenly entitle me to own the game? I didn't buy the GOTY edition for a reason. The reason being that I can already play the base game and only need the DLCs.
Why should non subscribers not get the game for free when they buy DLC?