By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Of The Year Tracker 2020 - The Last Of Us Part II / Sony Dominating!

Zombie9ers said:

Cyberpunk 2077 - 2

I'm enjoying the game so far, but it definitely doesn't deserve any GOTY awards. Far too many issues for that.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Zombie9ers said:

Cyberpunk 2077 - 2

I'm enjoying the game so far, but it definitely doesn't deserve any GOTY awards. Far too many issues for that.

Yeah I remember the countless times I saw people declaring it game of the year before it even came out and how it was going to destroy The Last of Us Part II. I knew it wasn’t going to after watching all the videos leading up to release.  Nothing about the gameplay looked good.  I think CD Projekt Red is extremely overrated- Witcher III included.  That had a bunch of issues too when it released - but even after all of the patches I could never get into the game - the combat was so bland and the protagonist so boring.  

This is why the GOTY things are kind of dumb. What games really dominated this year? Animal Crossing and Among Us. Animal Crossing only gets 4 and Among Us gets none.

These awards are not a reflection of what most gamers really like.

KratosLives said:

Is hades really that good ?

Yes, I have it on the switch and is really good!!

The_Liquid_Laser said:

This is why the GOTY things are kind of dumb. What games really dominated this year? Animal Crossing and Among Us. Animal Crossing only gets 4 and Among Us gets none.

Nope! If so....AStro's Playroom would be GOTY everywhere. Its user score is the highest I've seen all year. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Nope! If so....AStro's Playroom would be GOTY everywhere. Its user score is the highest I've seen all year. 

I'm not even talking about reviews though.  I am talking about popularity.  If you look at sales or social media/google mentions, twitch streams, etc..., the games that dominated this year were Animal Crossing and Among Us.  When I think of games from 2020, these are the first two that come to mind.  These were the games that people were actually playing.  None of the others are even close.

These GOTY picks are biased because they are so heavily based on reviews.  The critics' tastes are not the same as the average gamer's tastes.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Runa216 said:

I'm not even talking about reviews though.  I am talking about popularity.  If you look at sales or social media/google mentions, twitch streams, etc..., the games that dominated this year were Animal Crossing and Among Us.  When I think of games from 2020, these are the first two that come to mind.  These were the games that people were actually playing.  None of the others are even close.

These GOTY picks are biased because they are so heavily based on reviews.  The critics' tastes are not the same as the average gamer's tastes.

That’s like saying The Last Jedi was the best movie of the year because it sold the most at the box office.  Besides these awards include both critic AND Readers Choice awards - of which TLOU Part II is also dominating.  Lastly - Among Us came out in 2018 - shouldn’t a game of the year count the year they come out - not when they become popular?

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Runa216 said:

Yeah, but I think the world at large needs a bit of perspective on reviews in general. Game reviews, movie reviews, book reviews, all that. Critics of all types are generally expected to play/watch/read all manner of media, from stuff they love to stuff they hate and as such usually consume more than your average consumer whether they want to or not. As a result, they are more attuned to the subtleties inherent to any media and thus care a lot more about little things like cinematography or art direction or voice acting than the average player. Most people are happy with shooty bang-bang games or vroom-vroom racing games or runny ball-kicky sports games and don't NEED innovation, they just want a well-made game that caters to their needs. 

A critic NEEDS innovation because even good or great games get boring if they're all the same. They NEED creativity or new ideas to fuel them because even shit like Call of Duty - which is an objectively well made game - is just the same thing over and over again. Consumers LOVE that shit and eat it up every year, but critics are growing weary of it and the franchise has been getting lower and lower scores despite them still selling well. Innovation and creativity in games are both very important to the critic because they're novelties in a world where 95% of games, regardless of how good they are, are unoriginal. 

That's why something like The Last of Us part 2 got so much love. Love it or hate it, it did something that got people talking. the gameplay wasn't anything great, sure, but the story was so incredibly bold that it's hard to not respect that, from the perspective of someone who sits through The Division and Anthem time and time again. 

Like I said, I personally didn't like The Last of Us, but I understand WHY it gets so much praise. I didn't care for animal Crossing but I agree with all the love it got. there are plenty of popular games that bring something new or important to the table that I love, even if I don't care for them. That's why there's so much of a disconnect between critics and consumers. One is just looking for something to entertain them, the other is looking for innovation and creativity and originality. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

Updated from game awards.net:

Award Totals

The Last of Us Part II - 74
Media Outlets: 52 | Readers' Choice: 22
Hades - 26
Media Outlets: 24 | Readers' Choice: 2
Ghost of Tsushima - 12
Media Outlets: 10 | Readers' Choice: 2
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 10
Media Outlets: 10 | Readers' Choice: 0
Final Fantasy VII Remake - 7
Half Life: Alyx - 5
Cyberpunk 2077 - 4
Doom Eternal - 3
Microsoft Flight Simulator - 3
Assassin's Creed Valhalla - 2
Kentucky Route Zero - 1
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 1
Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 1
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin - 1
Spiritfarer - 1
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 - 1
Yakuza: Like a Dragon - 1

Zombie9ers said:

Yeah I remember the countless times I saw people declaring it game of the year before it even came out and how it was going to destroy The Last of Us Part II. I knew it wasn’t going to after watching all the videos leading up to release.  Nothing about the gameplay looked good.  I think CD Projekt Red is extremely overrated- Witcher III included.  That had a bunch of issues too when it released - but even after all of the patches I could never get into the game - the combat was so bland and the protagonist so boring.  

I'm glad I'm not the only one, Witcher 3 is one of the most boring games I played for sure, it just shows that good marketing and hype can sell almost anything. It still boggles my mind that you can't aim your crossbows, only blindly shoot in the direction of enemies, but I haven't seen anyone care about that. Maybe next time they can make a shooter where you don't have to aim and people still won't notice and care? I was most interested in seeing the great side quests that everyone was raving about, I played 50 hours and didn't find any interesting side quest, I guess most people have really low standards if they think they are great in Witcher 3. The final boss glitched for me, he was standing still the whole time while I was chopping him and I was only thankful for that, too bad I didn't record it and put it on youtube, game of the year everybody, for the gamers.

Visit my eBay stampers store: eims-stampers

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.