By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will there be a 2TB PS5?

Merely browsing the website and came across this. https://www.play-asia.com/playstation-5-2tb-digital-edition/13/70djwd

Any truth to it, pretty legit shop to be honest.

Around the Network

Yes, it is a given. The question is WHEN will there be a 2 TB PS5?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

There better be one, with games taking upwards to 100Gb, space is needed more than ever.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

It's always cheaper to buy off the shelf components. So when the M.2 slot is unlocked then just grab one on sale.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Gee Matt, I dont know, but I certainly hope so.

Around the Network

Not sure if there will be an actual 2TB model, as there is a very specific reasons why Sony chose 825 GB for the onboard SSD. https://www.psu.com/news/ps5-ssd-why-is-the-ps5-ssd-825gb/ . It's to do with the 12-Channel flash memory which allows the high I/O of the console. Not sure but we may get incremental increases instead, so 1.65 TB version .

At some point, yes. But they might just wait for the PS5 Pro.

I mean the PS4 launched with 500 GB. Then the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro upgraded that to 1 TB. There's even a limited PS4 Pro release years ago that was 2 TB. By time they get to the PS5 Slim (or maybe even before), they'll probably upgrade the cost-cutting 825 GB SSD to an even 1 TB SSD.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

At some point, yes. But they might just wait for the PS5 Pro.

I mean the PS4 launched with 500 GB. Then the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro upgraded that to 1 TB. There's even a limited PS4 Pro release years ago that was 2 TB. By time they get to the PS5 Slim (or maybe even before), they'll probably upgrade the cost-cutting 825 GB SSD to an even 1 TB SSD.

In regards to the 825 being to 1TB not gonna happen the 825 GB wasn't a cost cutting decision, it was chosen because it was the best fit for the 12 channel memory controller.

TheFallen has put alink in this thread explaining why they went with 825 GB

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Probably fair to say the alternate sizes they may have considered or may offer in future would be LARGER than 1TB because that is what is divisible into 12 channels.
What they do in future is probably dependent on memory suppliers, and what is standard module size may change based on suppliers' particular solutions.
Anyways, like people said just grabbing an off the shelf M.2 SSD should be the go to option soon, although that would tend to come in "normal" sizes,
since Sony is enabling those off the shelf options just with higher vanilla speed than their standard internal drive to compensate... I'm curious if we could
eventually see Sony's I/O solution get adapted (directly or in compatible way) by PC market at all, which might also adapt 12 channel model for that matter.

By the time they would normally decide to launch a 1.65TB version, there should be plenty of Sony certified gen 4 NVMe drives that are $99 or less.
If you added a 1TB gen 4 NVMe (or newer), you're looking at 1.825TB of storage instead of 1.65TB.
You'd actually be getting more storage overall for the same price, considering the storage upgraded SKU usually sells for $99 more.
It would just be more convenient for consumers who don't want to tinker with the hardware, as simple as it may be.
Odds are SNY will leave room for an internal NVMe no matter what revisions happen to the hardware.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 13 December 2020