By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Nov 22 to 28 - Switch Dominates Black Friday Week

noshten said:

This is the first time Switch will be readily available in Japan for the holidays(likely a similar thing will occur in other markets for Christmas weeks). 

Animal Crossing and Ring Fit Adventure are Nintendo's December games, and will be driving hardware demand. 

I really hope this restock isn't limited to Japan and they can get enough consoles out to North America and Europe to meet demand through December.

November fell a bit short of expectations so hopefully the Christmas season can pick up the slack a bit.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
noshten said:

This is the first time Switch will be readily available in Japan for the holidays(likely a similar thing will occur in other markets for Christmas weeks). 

Animal Crossing and Ring Fit Adventure are Nintendo's December games, and will be driving hardware demand. 

I really hope this restock isn't limited to Japan and they can get enough consoles out to North America and Europe to meet demand through December.

November fell a bit short of expectations so hopefully the Christmas season can pick up the slack a bit.

If you're worried about restocks, I recommend using a site called keepa.com. It's an amazon tracker that displays how long a system has been directly sold by Amazon, and here's a graph from the site: https://keepa.com/#!product/1-B07VGRJDFY You'll notice that november was much more intermittent in terms of Switch Stock.

Looks like Switch will do around 28 million for the year if the final week of the year counts for next year instead of 2020. November was a little slow with no big game. If the final week of the year (which has like 5 of its days in 2020) counts for this year, then Switch could get close to 29 million. All depends on how much stock Nintendo has. I'd like to see them have 1.5 million supply per week the next four weeks.

Switch is 5.0 million away from 3DS right now. It's gonna fly by that the week of christmas!

So the Switch didn't break any records in November huh, it still sold well but it seems not having a more important new release than Age Of Calamity really did hurt Nintendo a little bit.

I did not except the PS4 and XB1 to be down year-on-year that much! What happenned? Lack of good deals? Not enough stock?

NNID/PSN: Kung_Kjartan

Kjartan said:

So the Switch didn't break any records in November huh, it still sold well but it seems not having a more important new release than Age Of Calamity really did hurt Nintendo a little bit.

I did not except the PS4 and XB1 to be down year-on-year that much! What happenned? Lack of good deals? Not enough stock?

I don’t think it had to do with them not having a heavy hitter so much as it had to do with not having enough stock to meet demand as it is without a heavy hitter. 

Around the Network
Kjartan said:

Their successors released.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 December 2020

Kjartan said:

We have just witnessed FALL OF A CLIFF and it was not the Switch

curl-6 said:
Kjartan said:

Look at the PS360 > PS4One transition, they sold more than their successors on Black Friday week (globally PS4 beat the PS3, but it was the European launch week)
Looks like in USA black friday week for PS3 & 360 fell by ~40% from 2012-2013... wheras PS4 & XB1 fell by ~90-95%

There must be additional reasons PS4 & XB1 are so low, the release of successors doesn't explain that huge a drop alone.

HigHurtenflurst said:
curl-6 said:

Look at the PS360 > PS4One transition, they sold more than their successors on Black Friday week (globally PS4 beat the PS3, but it was the European launch week)
Looks like in USA black friday week for PS3 & 360 fell by ~40% from 2012-2013... wheras PS4 & XB1 fell by ~90-95%

There must be additional reasons PS4 & XB1 are so low, the release of successors doesn't explain that huge a drop alone.

Sony has not been shipping many PS4s at all this year. The console did not receive a price cut. Latest MSRP is still $299 for Slim and $399 for Pro. They did not do any Black Friday or holiday promotions at all this year either. Last year you could by a PS4 Slim with 3 bundled games for $199 (I stood in line with my brother to buy one). If you check Amazon in the US right now the PS4s have no price listed and are selling for $400+.

The Xbox One has its own issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

The updated Switch global numbers