By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Nov 22 to 28 - Switch Dominates Black Friday Week

Switch sells almost double PS4 + PS5 + Xbone + Xbox Series combined.

In LTD sales Switch is now just 5 million from passing 3DS.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
XD84 said:

Does anyone know the highest number ever achieved in the Black Friday week world wide?

Switch  2019 - 1.88m
PS4  2017 - 1.68m
PS4  2018 - 1.64m
Switch  2020 - 1.63m
DS  2008 - 1.63m
PS4  2015  - 1.62m
DS  2009 - 1.57m
Switch  2018 -1.36m
DS  2007 - 1.35m
Xbox 360  2011 - 1.31m
DS  2010 - 1.28m

Thank you!

I'm hoping there is more stock in December so Ninty can sell 30mil in the calendar year and hopefully it sells 30mil+ in the fiscal year as well

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:

I'm hoping there is more stock in December so Ninty can sell 30mil in the calendar year and hopefully it sells 30mil+ in the fiscal year as well

30M in this calender year is almost impossible. Black Friday week was down YoY and Switch needs to sell 1.6M (Black Friday level) every single remaining week this year.

30M in this fiscal year could be possible with 3D World and Monster Hunter.

siebensus4 said:
Eagle367 said:

30M in this calender year is almost impossible. Black Friday week was down YoY and Switch needs to sell 1.6M (Black Friday level) every single remaining week this year.

You do know that the Switch sells way more in December than in November, right ? Like 1+ million per week for 5 weeks in a row until the end of the year. Black Friday isn't nearly as big as Christmas for the Switch, unlike the other 2 consoles.

Last year:

- Week 1 (BF): 1.88

- Week 2: 1.55

- Week 3: 1.2

- Week 4: 1.6

- Week 5 (31st december): 0.92

Around the Network

December going to be huge this year, Switch especially might sell twice the amount it did in November.

Signalstar said:

i look forward to seeing the intense sales battle between the PS4 and Xbox Series X|S over the coming years. Who will come out on top?

No, that isn't a typo.

Yeah i guess Ps4 will pull ahead in December but Stock is very limited.

November numbers for Switch on USA were lower than i was expecting based on my sources in EU Shipments have ramp up so i wonder if US got shipments later?? Same for Ps5 which would put both systems well above 1.5M.

I guess Switch will have a huge December if Stock is actually in place. 

Ps5 2nd wave in PT were 70% of the OG shipment per example, i know it sold out in 2 minutes. 

RolStoppable said:

Switch will continue to have it easy. This generation has long been decided: Switch in first place, PS5 in second, XSX|S in third, all separated by notable margins in the end.

You´re comparing a Console in is 4th year with 1 just launched? 

Your post won´t age very well, especially the notable margin part.

SKMBlake said:
siebensus4 said:

You do know that the Switch sells way more in December than in November, right ? Like 1+ million per week for 5 weeks in a row until the end of the year. Black Friday isn't nearly as big as Christmas for the Switch, unlike the other 2 consoles.

Last year:

His point was that every coming week would need to match blackfriday, the biggest week of the year, to make 30m, you post figures from last year confirming that blackfriday is by far the biggest sales week... you are agreeing with his point. Yes december is bigger than november for Nintendo that wasn't argued.

Switch needs to sell another 7.8m to reach a 30m calendar year, as your figure show last year Switch sold 5.27m post-bf. So Switch would have to go from being down 13.6% for BF to being up 48% YoY for the whole of december. I.E 30m is basically impossible unless VGC tracking is massively out.

Barkley said:
SKMBlake said:

Last year:

His point was that every coming week would need to match blackfriday, the biggest week of the year, to make 30m, you post figures from last year confirming that blackfriday is by far the biggest sales week... you are agreeing with his point. Yes december is bigger than november for Nintendo that wasn't argued.

Switch needs to sell another 7.8m to reach a 30m calendar year, as your figure show last year Switch sold 5.27m post-bf. So Switch would have to go from being down 13.6% for BF to being up 48% YoY for the whole of december. I.E 30m is basically impossible unless VGC tracking is massively out.

You are forgetting that Other Regions are driving growth for Nintendo. 

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/243789/furukawa-other-regions-grew-by-a-huge-152yoy-driven-by-asia/ 

- South Korea and Taiwan have seen huge growth in the past 12 months http://koreabizwire.com/nintendo-switch-a-hot-ticket-in-south-korea/169743

- China will have a full quarter of Ring Fit availability to drive sales https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-09/china-is-nintendo-s-secret-weapon-in-war-with-playstation-xbox

- Brazil launch could also help

So when you are looking at Switch being Flat or slightly up YoY in places like North America, Japan, Europe - you are forgetting the Other region which will be driving growth.