By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Nov 22 to 28 - Switch Dominates Black Friday Week

It is wayyyyy too early to be speculating about PS5 outselling PS4 hahaha. PS5 has much greater competition than PS4 did for the first several years it was out. PS5 may or may not sell more than PS4 when it's all over, but there is no way to know whether it will or not now. There is no reason yet to think PS5 will crush PS4 yet. Nintendo will obviously provide lots of competition for gamer dollars and Xbox will likely provide more competition than last gen, so if PS5 manages to match PS4 numbers I'd say that is a huge win for Sony.

Around the Network

Switch had 0 competition for Black Friday this year and so they made the same deals but with a NSO subs. I wasn't expecting it to beat last year. IMO they are keeping stock for December since that deal wasn't it. I wanted it to sell close to 30 millions this year but yea i think that won't happen. 28 millions will still be stellar and like what top 3 of the best years ever ?

xMetroid said:

Switch had 0 competition for Black Friday this year and so they made the same deals but with a NSO subs. I wasn't expecting it to beat last year. IMO they are keeping stock for December since that deal wasn't it. I wanted it to sell close to 30 millions this year but yea i think that won't happen. 28 millions will still be stellar and like what top 3 of the best years ever ?

Yeah unfortunately as cool as it would've been to see a new annual record set, it looks like Nintendo aren't providing enough stock for that to happen.

So considering the low stock and no December game is safe to assume that Switch will finish around 25-26 million units sold for 2020?

This is the first time Switch will be readily available in Japan for the holidays(likely a similar thing will occur in other markets for Christmas weeks). 

Animal Crossing and Ring Fit Adventure are Nintendo's December games, and will be driving hardware demand. 

Around the Network
Barkley said:
SKMBlake said:

You do know that the Switch sells way more in December than in November, right ? Like 1+ million per week for 5 weeks in a row until the end of the year. Black Friday isn't nearly as big as Christmas for the Switch, unlike the other 2 consoles.

Last year:

- Week 1 (BF): 1.88

- Week 2: 1.55

- Week 3: 1.2

- Week 4: 1.6

- Week 5 (31st december): 0.92

His point was that every coming week would need to match blackfriday, the biggest week of the year, to make 30m, you post figures from last year confirming that blackfriday is by far the biggest sales week... you are agreeing with his point. Yes december is bigger than november for Nintendo that wasn't argued.

Switch needs to sell another 7.8m to reach a 30m calendar year, as your figure show last year Switch sold 5.27m post-bf. So Switch would have to go from being down 13.6% for BF to being up 48% YoY for the whole of december. I.E 30m is basically impossible unless VGC tracking is massively out.

You do realize that stock is the only limitation the switch has right? Last year, the stock was there and it sold 1.88mil but this year, it wasn't there. It also has a 53rd week this year apparently. And even last year it sold close to 1.6mil every week except week 3. And switch has shown that when it has stock, it can sell it all out so as I said before, I hope it has the stock so it gets to 30mil this year. 30mil is not impossible if Ninty makes and ships enough units. 

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

kazuyamishima said:

So considering the low stock and no December game is safe to assume that Switch will finish around 25-26 million units sold for 2020?

Depends on the next few weeks but all points to some massive numbers ahead, how high can it go? Depends. How much can Nintendo Stock? That is the question, same for Ps5, it will sell what is available, if they have 6M available WW, it will sell out. 

RolStoppable said:
kazuyamishima said:

After adjustments, VGC has Switch at ~22m YTD by November 28th with four or five weeks left to go. Could be five because there are 33 days left in the year, but I am not 100% sure how VGC will handle it.

The four weeks in December 2019 amounted to ~5m units sold and there are no indicators that Switch stock this year will be notably lower than last year's. Tack on 5m to the current 22m and you get 27m. If VGC adds a fifth week this year, covering December 27th to January 2nd, that's going to add another ~0.5m to the yearly total.

Looking at the hardware by date graphs VGC counts weeks by the Saturday they end on, so the last "December" week this year will be ending 26th.

This is a roughly roughly equivalent date range to last year which as you say VGC also counts as a 4-week December:
2019 December = 4-weeks ending 28th
2020 December = 4-weeks ending 26th

Stock issues aside if demand was the same it would still sell slightly more than last year due to the 4-week period ending 2-days earlier (thus taking out the lower selling days of 27th/28th) so anything below 27m for the year is extremely pessimistic.

noshten said:

This is the first time Switch will be readily available in Japan for the holidays(likely a similar thing will occur in other markets for Christmas weeks). 

Animal Crossing and Ring Fit Adventure are Nintendo's December games, and will be driving hardware demand. 

Huge week incoming 

RolStoppable said:

I am doing a proper analysis that isn't limited to the eighth generation. Of course that puts me at odds with all the people who do not look at the big picture or don't even want to do that. I've already made my own thread to address common fallacies when it comes to Switch predictions.

The fallacy found in your post is that you assume a short lifecycle which is usually based on processing power, but that has no basis in reality. The 3DS lasted six years before its successor launched, the same holds true for the DS. The Gameboy lasted even longer. The only exception to the long lifespans of portable Nintendo hardware is the GBA, but that was triggered by Sony entering the handheld market and Nintendo wanting to avoid a scenario like in the home console market where it took them over 18 months to put out a competitor to the PS1. So logically, the only things that can lead to a short lifecycle for Switch are either incredible stupidity on Nintendo's part by trying to kill Switch off prematurely, or a serious challenger entering the arena. But considering that Nintendo comfortably beat everyone in the handheld market, including PlayStation, that's not a likely scenario.

Here's a breakdown by year that starts with my original prediction for 2017:

2017 - 8m
2018 - 16m
2019 - 22m (Revision, price cut and full understanding of the market that Switch is a successor to both Wii U and 3DS)
2020 - 21m
2021 - 20m
2022 - 15m

There are going to be more sales beyond 2022, but 100m are already reached with the above. The peak years are going to be quite flat, but that's in line with previous systems that got properly supported. The dropoff in 2022 is explained by Nintendo's top development teams preparing for the launch of a successor in 2023, so the first party lineup won't be as high profile as in previous years.

Switch is going to peak higher than the PS4, because as a gaming device it's not only more forward-thinking, its software lineup is also going to appeal to more demographics. Of course it's very much possible that the hybrid concept gets embraced by the market within 2017 which would result in a better first year. But right now it isn't crystal clear yet that Switch will get all the handheld support from both Nintendo and third parties, plus the hardware price in many countries is less than ideal (for example, €299 sounds a lot better than the actual €329), so I don't expect Switch to be beasting throughout its first year on the market.

People cannot imagine the Switch selling more units lifetime than the PS4 because they believe that the PS4 is doing amazing and because they tend to attribute any Nintendo success to luck despite Nintendo being the only company who can boast with a clean streak of domination. The PS4 isn't doing amazing. It benefits from the lack of noteworthy competition and being available in more countries than any other console. This global availability masks the merely decent sales in the USA and Japan, but it's clear that the PS4 is not selling like the PS2 and only looks as good as it does because it pushes the backend sales of the PS2 to the frontend. The PS3 couldn't get backend sales like the PS2 either, also because it launched in more countries sooner.

The biggest mistake people make when analyzing the Switch? They separate it into home console and handheld, and look at these parts individually to highlight flaws. The market isn't going to do that. Time will prove the naysayers wrong. Take your own beliefs, for example. Only a few weeks ago you argued that Zelda is not a system seller. Now we have sales data from various countries and it clearly proves you wrong. And remember, the argument "people buy Zelda because there's nothing else" doesn't work, because that makes Switch and Zelda sales only more impressive; it effectively turns Zelda into a game that people pay $360/€390 for.

Back then I had Switch have a normal lifespan of six years and the predicted sales curve was off, but the sum wasn't too far off. 2017 was actually ~13m, 2018 was ~16m and 2019 was ~19m, for a sum of a good 48m compared to the 46m I had.

I gotta say, Rol. That was a spot-on prediction you did there. Only 2m off as of the end of 2019.