By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Okami sold more on Switch than PC, PS3, PS4, and Xbox One. What other third parties have performed best on Switch?

Sad that they havent made a new one yet despite these sales.

Basil's YouTube Channel

Around the Network

What the hell happened in this thread? Some really can't get enough of this useless console war. Fact is that this game sold the most on the Switch which means the development for this single platform could be also the most successful financially.

Why do people need to combine sales of the game on different consoles to show how much better it is performing somewhere else? Why does someone believe that those who have bought it on PS4 can't be owners of the PS3 version? Many of those who bought it on Switch did probably also own it already in the past on some other platform but why is this even a talking point? This doesn't change the money the dev made on every single platform.

And btw, 974k is not almost twice as much as 600k. What kind of math is this?

src said:

Okami did far better on Playstation than on SW. Almost twice as better. Plenty of other third parties see similar performance of Playstation being far greater than Nintendo.

Why are yoy always causing issues on threads? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Chrkeller said:

Strong sales on the switch, no idea why this bothers some people.

Some people just can't stand it when a non-casual 3rd party game does better on the Switch than the PS4.

S.Peelman said:
Blood_Tears said:

Exactly, plus there is already an existing thread on the sales of the game. 

Okami HD sales numbers leaked (vgchartz.com)

The game sold best on Playstation, that's just the facts. It's like how Sony disclosed that TLoU part 1 sold over 20 million in sales. Whether it's combined or not it doesn't change the fact of its overall sales numbers. If Nintendo fans can't handle that then tough shit. 

It's a big problem, I really can't sleep at night.

This post genuinely made me laugh. =)

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
src said:

Because you deliberately ignore blatant market realities: PS3 and PS4 share a significant audience. All publishers look at ecosystems because unlike you, they understand PS3 -> PS4, and 360 -> X1 has a shared audience.

AND means (+) . The word you are looking is OR.

The audience on the PS3 isn't the exact same audience on the PS4. Just like the audience on the 360 isn't the exact same as the audience on the X1. Yes, some people consistently carry over, but the industry is more volatile than that. This is why the Wii can sell 100M units, but the Wii U only sold 13M and the PS3 can sell 87M but the PS4 can sell ~120M, and the Xbox 360 can sell 85M but the X1 can only sell ~50M. If all audiences carried over then those numbers wouldn't fluctuate so much. 

Also, OR is not the word I'm looking for. AND means that it out sold all of those. I think you are thinking that AND means combined...it doesn't. In this instance AND is being used in synonymous with something like "as well as" or "in addition to". OR would constitute "It outsold the X1 OR it outsold the PC" which translates to "it can only outsell one of those, but it can't outsell both". That would mean that, if it outsold the PC it didn't outsell the X1 or vice versa. OR is used to explore alternatives, AND is used to connect items of the same type.  

You need to take an English class and stop being such a blatant fanboy. 

Last edited by Doctor_MG - on 03 December 2020

TruckOSaurus said:

Let's try to get this thread back on track:

Hollow Knight sold well enough on Switch that the only console version announced for the follow up (Silksong) is the Switch.
Shovel Knight had the Switch as the 3rd best platform in April 2018 when they reached 2 million sales. https://yachtclubgames.com/2018/04/two-million-copies-of-shovel-knight-sold/
The Switch got to that position in 12 months, who knows where it stands now for that game. Also worth nothing that if we use src's line of thinking the Nintendo family is the clear winner with 55.8% of all Shovel Knight sales across Wii U, 3DS and Switch.

Hey, thanks for being on track!

I wonder what the percentage sales are for Hollow Knight in comparison to other platforms. I'd definitely bet that Shovel Knights sales have increased greatly due to Shovel of Hopes release. I haven't even played that game though. 

Still, I am a bit more concerned about major third party publishers. Switch is totally an indie machine, but it's interesting seeing what major publishers games sell more on the platform. 

Doctor_MG said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Let's try to get this thread back on track:

Hollow Knight sold well enough on Switch that the only console version announced for the follow up (Silksong) is the Switch.
Shovel Knight had the Switch as the 3rd best platform in April 2018 when they reached 2 million sales. https://yachtclubgames.com/2018/04/two-million-copies-of-shovel-knight-sold/
The Switch got to that position in 12 months, who knows where it stands now for that game. Also worth nothing that if we use src's line of thinking the Nintendo family is the clear winner with 55.8% of all Shovel Knight sales across Wii U, 3DS and Switch.

Hey, thanks for being on track!

I wonder what the percentage sales are for Hollow Knight in comparison to other platforms. I'd definitely bet that Shovel Knights sales have increased greatly due to Shovel of Hopes release. I haven't even played that game though. 

Still, I am a bit more concerned about major third party publishers. Switch is totally an indie machine, but it's interesting seeing what major publishers games sell more on the platform. 

There's not a lot of data on the split for Hollow Knight, all we know is that it had sold 1 million on PC prior to the release on Switch and managed 250K units in two weeks on Switch. https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/29/hollow-knight-sold-over-250000-copies-on-switch-in-its-first-two-weeks

In February 2019, Team Cherry announced the game had 2.8 million sales but without providing a platform split.

---------

As for big 3rd party games, outside of Japan where we have an idea of the split, there's not much information out there.

Signature goes here!

Switch is definitely the Go to machine when it comes to indie titles, but tbh not a big gap in sales between switch and PS4 as dramatically as some people make it seem

Last edited by B6a6es - on 03 December 2020

src said:

Because you deliberately ignore blatant market realities: PS3 and PS4 share a significant audience. All publishers look at ecosystems because unlike you, they understand PS3 -> PS4, and 360 -> X1 has a shared audience.

AND means (+) . The word you are looking is OR.

Well, it's obvious that the PS4 has a significantly larger audience than the PS3 had simply because it is selling basically 1.5 times as many consoles and so I am really not sure that it is accurate to say that the ps3 and ps4 have a shared audience.  Also, re-releasing a game on another platform requires probably hundreds of thousands if not millions of development dollars for porting as well as new marketing pushes, adds, etc..  So, you can't just heap the two sales figures together and say that it is equivalent to a single release from a financial success point of view the way that you are doing.

In either case, I am very happy with how well the Switch is doing with third parties.  In the Wii U era, almost all third parties were more than willing to abandon Nintendo the second the Wii U started performing poorly.  Maybe most of this was because the Wii U was just too difficult to develop games for to justify any extra effort that said I really believed that at least some of this was revenge for Nintendo's not so great treatment of third parties in the 90's.  I found it hard to believe that even EA Sports' lazy FIFA ports (where FIFA 12 still sold nearly 1 million units on the Wii U) was not economical to annualize on the Wii U.  In either case, even EA has been forced to reluctantly come back to Nintendo and support the Switch given the console's runaway success.  These kinds of sales figures are going to force even the more reluctant third parties to take a serious look at Nintendo in the future which is only good news for Switch gamers.