By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Nov 8 to 14 - PS5 & Xbox Series X|S Launch to Record Sales

So Switch already surpassed last year's number right ? Pretty mind blowing there is still the most important weeks yet. Knowing BF is way bigger now that it was during DS/Wii days, i think Switch will have no trouble keeping that lead and will break the record.

Xbox had a good launch it's nice to see. Would have been even stronger with a strong title at launch but still that's good. Hopefully they don't fuck up again and can maintain an interest over the whole gen.



Around the Network
xMetroid said:

So Switch already surpassed last year's number right ? Pretty mind blowing there is still the most important weeks yet. Knowing BF is way bigger now that it was during DS/Wii days, i think Switch will have no trouble keeping that lead and will break the record.

Xbox had a good launch it's nice to see. Would have been even stronger with a strong title at launch but still that's good. Hopefully they don't fuck up again and can maintain an interest over the whole gen.

Yes, by VGC numbers it passed it two weeks ago.  We will be getting VGC W47 (AOC launch and PS5 Europe launch) I presume later today as well so we'll see how the lead is building.



Xbox without Halo is pretty impressive.

Total market for PS/XB has remained fairly steady. By VGC numbers we have 182M Gen 6, 173M Gen 7, and 162.5M Gen 8, which will continue accumulate over the next 2 years (PS4 should have >10M left in the tank by itself), so we'll see gen 8 end at 175-180M as well.

Premise for Gen 9 LTD performance should start with this baseline. Did either party do anything to expand the base? For PS5, despite the obvious hype right now, answer seems like a no. When you zoom out, PS5 is more of the same, though that shouldn't be seen as a slight - Sony's been the market king for 25 years, makes sense to continue a successful strategy with refinement.

HOWEVER I do think this gen yields room for a little expansion on the 180M base, because Microsoft has taken two actions - frugal alternative at launch and aggressive stance with Gamepass, and on top of that, these two ideas synergize very well (see their $25/$35 monthly pricing strategy).  I think this combined strat is the first true effort between the two to expand the buying base, instead of implementing tactics to eat into each other's market share.

I expect this gen to crack 200M between the two, with Sony hitting the same ballpark as last gen (PS5 LTD @ 125M, +/- 10M), but Xbox expanding from their 45-50M range up to 70M (+/- 10M) or so. Final result of 130M PS5 / 70M XBS would not surprise me, come 2028.



Told y'all that cliff is coming for the Switch, now with the Xbox SX and PS5 released it's over for Nintendo and the Switch. Nintendo is back at 3rd....



When are we going to see the Xbox SX and PS5 on the bar graphs? My suggestion is to replace the PS Vita and 3DS bar charts for the Xbox SX and PS5 since the Vita and 3DS are pretty much done at this point.



Around the Network
javi741 said:

When are we going to see the Xbox SX and PS5 on the bar graphs? My suggestion is to replace the PS Vita and 3DS bar charts for the Xbox SX and PS5 since the Vita and 3DS are pretty much done at this point.

We are going to completely replace that bar graph in the near future. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Huge PS5 numbers and without Europe to boot



These holiday months are primed to set records for total hardware sales. Switch has already been setting records all year. Now add in 2 new systems...there is going to be a lot of hardware sold.



The_Liquid_Laser said:

These holiday months are primed to set records for total hardware sales. Switch has already been setting records all year. Now add in 2 new systems...there is going to be a lot of hardware sold.

Still hard to compete with 07-10 when you also had NDS/PSP on top of three consoles though.

Dec 09

NDS 7.4M

Wii 7.1M

PS3 4.0M

360 2.8M

PSP 2.4M

Total top 5 - 23.7M

That is going to be hard to compete with.  Between PS4 and PS3, highest Dec ever is PS4 2016 4.9M alongside Pro launch.  Between XBO/360 is 360 2011 at 4.0M.

New consoles probably cannot get that high in launch year, but even if they did, and NSW cracks 8.0M, that's still only a total of 16.9M.  And realistically there is no way that the twins hit those numbers this year, given supply and pricing.



UnderwaterFunktown said:

This is the one time you'll be able to see an Xbox console on top in Europe.
Lightning in a bottle, ladies and gentlemen.

That's because there is no PS5 data in Europe