By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Nov 8 to 14 - PS5 & Xbox Series X|S Launch to Record Sales

trunkswd said:
BraLoD said:

What about the new graphs! XD

We haven't made the new graphs yet. We are a small team and can only do some much at any given time. Talon's main focus was getting the site running fast again, fixing bugs, and adding the new consoles so I could continue doing the weekly hardware figures. 

It's fine, probably won't take long, but do you guys plan to let PS4/XBO still on display? Or under the last gen tab?

Around the Network

Great open to a generation. Interested in how things will unfold this holiday.

BraLoD said:
trunkswd said:

We haven't made the new graphs yet. We are a small team and can only do some much at any given time. Talon's main focus was getting the site running fast again, fixing bugs, and adding the new consoles so I could continue doing the weekly hardware figures. 

It's fine, probably won't take long, but do you guys plan to let PS4/XBO still on display? Or under the last gen tab?

While it might change, the current plan is for the new graph to have the current platforms listed in order of lifetime sales. So right now it would be PS4 > NS > XOne > PS5 > XSX|S. Instead of a last-gen tab it would be a legacy tab that would have some of the older platforms.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
Norion said:

So the exciting last stretch of this year's sales has finally begun, these last few weeks are all gonna be a treat to see. PS5 being on top without Europe is a good sign, Switch reaching half of the new consoles launch sales with a normal week is a good sign and Xbox having the biggest launch ever is also a good sign so there's something for all three to be happy about which is nice. Hardware sales are gonna be thriving for at least the next couple years.

Sales in week two for the new consoles are going to drop like a rock. But that is to be expected as they are all sold out. 

They will drop hard but even just seeing how big the drop is for each one and seeing how the drops compare to last gen will be exciting. Also it'll show the first PS5 Europe sales so still a big week I think.

Last edited by Norion - on 26 November 2020

The demand for the PS5 blows the PS4 hype out the water! It's even more evident when you consider the majority of PS5's are being sold at $500. It could have sold 3 - 4 Million on launch week if they had enough supply to meet demand. 

I think the PS5 will sell more than the PS4 did by March 2014 by the end of this year.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 26 November 2020

Around the Network

trunkswd said:

Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) hardware estimates:
  1. PlayStation 5 - 72,124 - NEW
  2. Xbox Series X|S - 69,251 - NEW
  3. Switch - 28,990
  4. PlayStation 4 - 3,388
  5. Xbox One - 1,882
  6. 3DS - 83

Surprised to see how competitively close PS5 and XS are here in Oceania, even closer than North America.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

trunkswd said:
BraLoD said:

While it might change, the current plan is for the new graph to have the current platforms listed in order of lifetime sales. So right now it would be PS4 > NS > XOne > PS5 > XSX|S. Instead of a last-gen tab it would be a legacy tab that would have some of the older platforms.

Sounds nice, thanks for the heads up.

Stock, stock, stock, stock, stock...

That's all the next 4-5months is really going to be about. I am more interested in how much stock sony can have for the PS5 by the end of march.

Would be interesting f they get it up to 10M by then.

curl-6 said:

This puts a torpedo in the long-held notion that "PS5/Nextbox will kill the Switch."

Despite both next gen consoles having an excellent opening week, Switch still pulls in big numbers, without even any major new software.

That was a thing?

After the switch was released, and looking at how little impact it had on the PS4/XB1 sales... I have been saying and pushing that they are not directly competitive.

One is not doing well/better at the expense of the other.

And these new consoles are just confirming that too. I got a lot of flak on this forum for saying that the PS/Xbox platforms while in the same gaming business with the switch, aren't directly competitive.

Impressive Numbers from all 3 Fronts, The PS5 might actually outsell the PS4 if it Keeps the Momentum