By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How have you been during the COVID-19 Pandemic?

I am not dealing with it in a healthy way at all.

Around the Network

The only impact it had on my was having to cancel 2 Japan vacations. Otherwise I'm doing fine and all of the stress I'm currently having has nothing to do with COVID at all. Masks suck a bit, but it's really not a huge sacrifice.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Got the virus in may, a little bad like worst sickness in my life, but now i'm healthy physically but not very good mentally, where i live we on lockdown from early april, and cannot go outside since unless buying food, and my daughter 2 years cannot make friend outside... so moral down ! and my potato pc not helping haha, i want upgrade but everything out of stock or so overpriced here...

I had to cancel travel in swiss so my family can meet first time my wife and my daughter too (outside my moms)

But well, there is 2 soon vaccine and maybe more incoming so, i stay a little positive !

First had to cancel a trip to Portugal just when the virus was spiking during the first wave, they started closing shops and venues so it was stupid to go, and since it was at the beginning I lost all the money from the flight tickets and partly hotel reservations.

The summer vacations got cancelled due to a positive in the family, luckily nothing too severe happened as it was an asymptomatic case.

Thirdly a visit to Sweden also cancelled when the second wave started.

In the end, I am finally going to have my first vacations this year during Christmas, obviously if the second wave permits it, one more month to go!

As you can guess... I need my vacations !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by TomaTito - on 17 November 2020

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Other than not being able to go on vacation (aside from the small one I took back in June or July (Netherlands)), I'm very happy.

Home office works very well and I save a ton of time due to not having to go to my workplace, saving me between 1.5 and 2 hours each working day. Obviously that also saves me lots of money each month.

Last edited by Barozi - on 17 November 2020

Around the Network

I was reading rumors about the Coronavirus just after a great date in the beginning of January. I thought wow isn't that interesting, should be minor like the last Sars outbreak. In February, I got really sick. I didn't go to the hospital because most of the time I get over it within 3 days, but this one clung to me for 3 weeks. In March I had the final news that I had to uproot my life due to my job. I had to say goodbye to my recently acquired social life and good times.

On the day I had to move, I received a call from my mother. During that call my Grandma was having issues and we had to to end the call abruptly. I took a 2 hour nap, and during that time my Grandma died. I moved to my new city full of despair, Coronavirus quarantining was just starting for my country. I have made 0 new friends! Yay! My planned trip back home was cancelled for the summer, and on top of that my vacation was cut for more work.While I was accustomed to living by myself before, I was also much happier when I had a healthier social life earlier this year.

Either way a year won't ever be like 2020 again, I don't have any grandmas left to die. Hopefully the rest of my family holds on for years to come, past this pandemic. Good times don't last long for me, but I still stay strong mentally, because if I wasn't, I probably wouldn't survive.

I 've just lived my life the way i did before the virus. Really hasn't changed at all. I am starting to feel really frustrated now though

No need to apologize for venting, it's healthy to get things out of your system sometimes and a forum can be a good place to do it. I wish you the best and hope you feel better soon.

I personally have been very fortunate as my country has been one of the least hard hit by COVID in the world thanks to us being an island and implementing strict containment measures early on.

As an obsessive compulsive whose main fixation is disease, it's been a big struggle for me regardless; a pandemic has been one of my biggest fears since I saw Bird Flu on the news as a child, and I'm germ-phobic even at the best of times, so for most of this year I've been locking myself away at home and only going out to exercise or for medical appointments. For many years I have been struggling to overcome and minimize my OCD and the pandemic has effectively set me back by a decade in terms of the progress I'd made.

The isolation has also been hard to cope with; it's been extremely lonely at times, and my depression got pretty bad for a while in the middle of the year.

Still, I cannot complain too much; I'm relatively safe at least, and I'm working towards building up the courage to see my friends in person again now COVID appears to have been eliminated from my state and restrictions have lifted. This weekend I will be seeing my mother and step-Dad for the first time in 6 months, really looking forward to that.

My job has also been going really, really well in spite of the pandemic, as has my recovery from major surgery in April. At the moment I'm trying to make a conscious effort to focus more on the positives, and my mental health has improved quite a bit in the last two months; I still have my rough days, but I no longer feel like I'm fighting to keep my head above water on a daily basis.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all for being a supportive community for me during this time. I hope my depression didn't make me too unpleasant to deal with for the first 8 months or so of the year, when the pandemic and cancer combined to kinda tip me over the edge. You guys are great.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 November 2020

Sorry to hear about everyone's troubles in these trying times, especially people who suffer from anxiety, depression, or things like OCD. I work with clients within the neuropsychiatric spectrum of diagnosis and the ones with anxiety issues and OCD are having a terrible time during the pandemic. Our work also slows down due to much less opportunity to practice social skills as well as everyday management/coping skills with them.

Personally, I feel okay, my mental and physical health are both good. However, I feel bad for my family, I live about 550 miles away and there are strict travel restrictions in place at home (in Norway). Basically, if I want to go home, I need to spend 10 days in a quarantine-hotel all alone, and I pay the cost myself. I had originally taken the holidays off to spend Christmas and new year's with my loved ones since I only see them twice a year and I go home every other Christmas, but due to the restrictions, my vacation is canceled since I'd be spending 10 out of my 11 days alone in a hotel.
My mother belongs in at least four different risk categories, being obese, having severe asthma and allergies, severe heart trouble and incurable Myeloma diagnosed two years ago. Both my sisters also have compromised immune systems since they take chemo treatment for severe rheumatic issues (Bechterews Disease, a genetic disorder) and are also both asthmatic. To make matters worse, my aunt who was diagnosed with aggressive leukemia in August has now been told that treatment was completely without effect and it got worse quickly, meaning she's in late-stage 4 and is being offered simple life extension treatment and pain management. My parents are wrecked by all this, and they're lonely and have very few strong people to help and support them. Especially my dad, he has no one to talk to and trusts very few with telling how he feels or what he's thinking.

Being "trapped" here is hard, I've managed to become a good supporter over the last decade and I feel bad for not being able to be there for my family. Sometimes, I almost feel bad for doing well for myself and having good health, I wish it was more evenly distributed among those I love.

Like others expressed before; this place is really great in that it allows for threads and talks such as this. Writing about how you feel can be extremely cathartic and helpful, even if it's with strangers, this is well-known within psychology. It's easier and safer to express oneself in writing and with some degree of anonymity, and over my 13+ years of being a member here, I've seen how the community takes care of another, supports and showers with love and understanding. It's one of the main reasons I've stayed for long.

Thank you, everyone, who shares, and everyone who lends their support to others. If I can ever help in any way, be it advice or simply an attentive ear and eye, I'm up for it. With my profession and experience, I know very well the deep and difficult mechanics of depression, anxiety disorders, and compulsions, among other things, this is literally what we do all week long with our kids at work. I also have my own personal history of various issues, ranging from depression to bouts of social anxiety, as well as lack of social skills, resulting in periods of extreme behaviors during my adolescence.

Stay strong and keep on writing your hearts out! Many of us are reading!

I've been fine since things reopened and allowed me to resume my usual schedule. Sometimes I worry about my grandma or my mother getting the virus but otherwise, it hasn't been a major cause of stress for months. Except for most schools being closed and mandatory masks, things are pretty much normal so yeah, you don't really 'feel' the pandemic around here anymore.