By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Demon's Souls Remake Review Thread - Metacritic started at 92

What Score do you think DS will get?

96-100 0 0%

91-95 25 44.64%

86-90 23 41.07%

81-85 6 10.71%

76-80 1 1.79%

71-75 0 0%

66-70 0 0%

61-65 0 0%

56-60 0 0%

51-55 1 1.79%

Total:56

Since we aren't getting scores for sometime, seems like the game was delivered to review on launch date, let's start prediction even if a little late.

I expect some improvement over the original score since the game although not original and basically feeding on the original code to change nothing on gameplay is separated well enough in time and with so much improvements that it will shine again. Also as a launch game it will benefit from lack of games to really compare to but can suffer from extra harshness on reviewers deciding where to set the bar.

First reviews are out to a great start, Meta have it at 93 with 4 reviews. I don't think it will hold this high, but who knows.

Nov 13, 2020
Bluepoint Games has proved itself once more, nailing Demon’s Souls with a remake on the same level as Shadow of the Colossus. At this point, I’d hand the developer the keys to everything. Let the studio make a 60fps Bloodborne. Give them Metal Gear Solid. Let’s have a Bluepoint Games Ico. Demon’s Souls is the best PS5 game you can play at launch, and I’m sure it will go down in history as one of the best launch titles of all time. The Old One has awoken and I hope this review feeds it more souls. It deserves a full belly.
Nov 12, 2020
For newcomers, Demon’s Souls will be the first exploration into the duality of despair and triumph, and hopefully go on to become a starting point for new Souls fans. For veterans, it’s a homage to an experiment that kicked off a fantastic genre. Either way, it’s wonderful that the nascent ethers from the original classic have coalesced and given us this delightful treat.
Nov 13, 2020
It's ironic that the real killer-application of this new generation of consoles is a remake. On the other hand, Demon's Souls is a masterpiece in pure FromSoftware fashion, and Bluepoint Games are absolute masters at their craft. The result of this equation couldn't have been anything less than a must play.
Nov 13, 2020
Demon’s Souls PS5 returns to the difficult strategic combat of the original and maintains its resolve in forcing players to figure things out on their own. Graphically, the remake offers a stellar reimagining of the 2009 classic while delivering a bittersweet audio experience. As a launch title for the PlayStation 5, Demon’s Souls has something to offer both Soulsborne veterans who want to see an old favorite shine and newcomers looking for a gritty, sometimes disheartening experience that demands perseverance.
UPDATE 1: Now we have 12 more reviews and the score have hold out on 93 with 16 reviews. Very good.
Nov 15, 2020
The best thing about this wonderful remake is that it truly feels like a new "Souls" game, rather than an old one being brought back to life. The graphics are incredible, the music is wonderful and the kingdom of Boletaria was recreated beautifully by Bluepoint Games. If you managed to get a PS5, but still haven't played this game, you're wasting your time.
Nov 15, 2020
It’s hard to imagine a better version of this game. Bluepoint established itself as the master of the remake with Shadow Of The Colossus, but in Demon’s Souls, they’ve produced a launch game that’s going to be hard to beat for several years.
Nov 14, 2020
If you need a challenge that is less forgiving than the Dark Souls’ series, then you want Demon’s Souls. Bluepoint Games brings the very essence of the original 2009 title with this remastered version, upgrades the experience with PS5 hardware, and makes the game more terrifying.
Nov 14, 2020
Bluepoint Games’ remake of Demon’s Souls maintains a few of the original’s less-than-ideal quirks, but its breathtakingly gorgeous visuals and updated gameplay make it a prodigious accomplishment nonetheless.
Nov 13, 2020
Demon's Souls was eagerly awaited for this PlayStation 5 launch and we are not disappointed, as the game has clearly already established itself as a major title in the PlayStation catalog. This next-gen version takes up all the basics of its first release and revisits the graphics and the optimization without adding new content. It is a stunning remake. We quickly forgot the somewhat rigid mechanics of the genre and let ourselves be carried away by the adventure. The Bluepoint teams have simply brought back to life a masterpiece that didn't have the success it deserved a decade ago.
Nov 14, 2020
Demon's Souls is an excellent game whether you're new to the franchise, have only played the Dark Souls games, or are a fan of the original. However, if you fit in the latter group like I do then you may be disappointed by its less visceral yet admittedly gorgeous world.
UPDATE 2: The score dropped to 92 with now 30 reviews. User review is quite strong on 8.9 even with it being a noteworthy exclusive on launch (126 red reviews against 1115 positive reviews).
Last edited by DonFerrari - on 17 November 2020

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Im gonna go with 89 because im an optimist at heart.

Well Shadow of the Colossus Remake got the same score as the PS2 game. So I'll go with 89 for DS.

91, best launch title will add a few points to the score.

Around the Network

88 - 90.

I'm sure the scores will be great, but why is Demon Souls so late when it comes to review scores? I thought we were going to start seeing them at least the day before launch or morning of.

smroadkill15 said:
I'm sure the scores will be great, but why is Demon Souls so late when it comes to review scores? I thought we were going to start seeing them at least the day before launch or morning of.

I have no idea. But found on the internet that the review copies arrived on the release day for some reason, so even without embargo it would take couple days to see reviews. At least since you can see the original reviews and some trailers/preview of the new version you could be informed enough to decide if is worth buying.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

How does it not score 85+ ?   I'll be dissapointed in reviewers, if it goes lower.

DonFerrari said:
smroadkill15 said:

I have no idea. But found on the internet that the review copies arrived on the release day for some reason, so even without embargo it would take couple days to see reviews. At least since you can see the original reviews and some trailers/preview of the new version you could be informed enough to decide if is worth buying.

That makes sense. Probably by Sunday and Monday review scores will begin to pop up.