By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassin's Creed Valhalla: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Updated NX Gamer - Update Digital Foundry

Were you expecting a big advantage for the XSX?

Yes 20 32.79%

No 41 67.21%

Total:61

So it turns out it’s a poorly optimized and rushed launch title. Who knew.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:

Patch is out that fixes the performance issues but apparently is loaded with more bugs and glitches.

Ubi is killing It :p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Why is anyone surprised by the recent patch?.

C'mon guys, Ubisoft can't cobble together a game for shit on launch week/month. They'll take at least another month of ironing out the performance issues and woes for both systems. This is how most games are these days anyway, release in a non polished state, patch up later. Games are basically akin to software apps these days anyway.

I don't even want to think what state the PC version is in.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Having played both visual and performance mode on the XSX, I can confirm the patch fixed a lot, and any advantage the PS5 had is gone.  There is no screen tearing at all in visual mode locked at 4K, and the frame rate is a fluid and solid 30 fps.

In performance mode, the screen tearing is 99% gone.  I think I may have seen one tear and the frame rate is much more consistent.  I don't know where these people get off saying that the patch made things worse, because it has been nothing but better for me.

We really need an update from DF, because I think there might be some downplay at hand.  I know of other potential issues that some people may have had (like old saves not working), so the game is still buggy even though my experience has been smooth.  Based on my experience on the X alone however, I wonder how widespread these issues are because it has been great for me.

DISCLAIMER I am not dedending ubi, this game was rushed and lacked polish.  Just stating my person experience so far.

Last edited by Shiken - on 27 November 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:

Having played both visual and performance mode on the XSX, I can confirm the patch fixed a lot, and any advantage the PS5 had is gone.  There is no screen tearing at all in visual mode locked at 4K, and the frame rate is a fluid and solid 30 fps.

In performance mode, the screen tearing is 99% gone.  I think I may have seen one tear and the frame rate is much more consistent.  I don't know where these people get off saying that the patch made things worse, because it has been nothing but better for me.

Probably different parts of the game

Around the Network
Otter said:
Shiken said:

Probably different parts of the game

If it is bugs we are talking about and not overall performance, that is possible.  I have not seen any major bugs, but I made sure to play hours before the patch came out.  The difference was jarringly better in both modes.  Like I said, on the Series X anyway, the performance is solid all around.

General bugs within the game outside of that, I cannot account for because of the reason you said.  I also cannot account for the PS5, but I have heard some not so great things.  All I am saying is that the performance has been greatly improved on the X based on my own experience.

The game does clearly still needs polish in a lot of areas outside of that, it was rushed to hell.  If anything, this just goes to show that these rushed cross gen games were never a good benchmark for comparison in the first place.

Last edited by Shiken - on 27 November 2020

zero129 said:

Care to point out all that?. I'm pretty sure the talk all along has been the difference wouldn't be huge.

If you had been here, and if you weren’t so anti-Sony and their fans, you would have noticed it.

Last edited by Hynad - on 27 November 2020

zero129 said:
Hynad said:

If you had been here, and if you weren’t so anti-Sony and their fans, you would have noticed it.

Im not anti Sony, I love PS games and have owned every Sony console up to the PS4 before selling it and fully switching to PC.

Its just most of the time i see more Sony fanboys trow false shit such as Goopy when he was here. who has to have the best of everything the whole time, The best exclusives, the best graphics, not wanting their games on any other platforms by saying they would quite the brand etc if they do. I dont know its just Sony fans seem more entitled to me.

The power narrative and entitlement has always existed on either side, pending on the generation you are looking at.  The PS4 and X1, for example, Sony fans made a big deal about the very slight power advantage they had.  Then when the One X and Pro, the script flipped and all of a sudden it was not a big deal anymore.  Likewise the 360 fans were insufferable when it came to power differences in the PS360 generation.

You see it now from both sides as well, it is low hanging fruit.  But it is also a fickle argument that can make you look bad later on, especially in these early months of a console release.  People made a big deal about an assumption that CoD Cold War was supposedly better on PS5, just to find out the XSX actually has the advantage when DF broke it down.  Likewise in the case of Valhalla, PS5 started with the advantage.  Now after this patch the XSX has an advantage over the PS5 (before and after the PS5 was patched).  Then when DMCV comes out, when the XSX has an advantage in 3/4 modes you get people arguing over which mode is most important.

Right now the power game is not really feasible for debate.  These cross gen games were made for the lowest common denominator, and does nothing to show what these consoles can do.  The differences are so small right now because of that, and lack of optimization causes conflicting results.  There is no reason for the PS5 version to run this bad after the patch, nor for Dirt 5 to be as bad as it is on the XSX.  It is clear that they made them based on the previous generation and threw in some extra features for the new gen, but instead of optimization they expected the raw horse power to just make it work.

Give it time, both consoles will have their advantages in certain areas.  But right now, be it power or SSD speed, we will not be seeing the extent of those advantages as it is now.  In time this will be a more interesting discussion, but things as they are do little for these debates.

Seems like people believed to much on bugs and the patch description. The Gap haven't been really reduced, although the Gap have made ps5 version work worse.

That IS How parity was achieved kkkk, joking.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Seems like people believed to much on bugs and the patch description. The Gap haven't been really reduced, although the Gap have made ps5 version work worse.

That IS How parity was achieved kkkk, joking.

parity one way or another.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.