By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassin's Creed Valhalla: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Updated NX Gamer - Update Digital Foundry

Were you expecting a big advantage for the XSX?

Yes 20 32.79%

No 41 67.21%

Total:61
Evilms said:

I like how his screenshot is pre patch to create the illusion that the PS5 has the higher framerate, which does little for his claim.

Watch the DF video, the XSX holds a more solid frame rate in heavy combat now by a small margin, but has a lower bottom resolution.  If the PS5 had their bottom resolution lowered to match, they would likely be equal.

This is a tie, because the hairs that can be split go one way or the other pending on if you are talking about frame rate (XSX slight advantage) or higher bottom resolution (PS5 slight advantage), and in both cases the difference is far to small to matter.  It is also worth noting that the XSX only dipped that low in one isolated instance, so to say the PS5 is higher resolution the majority of the time is a stretch at best.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Evilms said:

Wait, this is you on GAF?

lol

Also, new DF video about the patch:

JRPGfan said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texture quality, differences?:

PR5 on Right, XSX on left.

PS5 textures seem sharper.... DF didn't mention this at all.

Not sure about you JRPGfan, however the textures on the left look sharper not the right.

Azzanation said:
JRPGfan said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texture quality, differences?:

PR5 on Right, XSX on left.

PS5 textures seem sharper.... DF didn't mention this at all.

Not sure about you JRPGfan, however the textures on the left look sharper not the right.

yep, I probably swapped them around when writeing that.

Evilms said:

That is from before the Patch..... it highlights the issue the Xbox series X (and S) had(has) with light sources (the torch) at night time in this game.

This is now fixed in 1.04.
They lower resolution now, to compensate, so it still runs 60 fps, even when useing the torch.
The "issue" is still there, but theres a workaround now, so it doesnt effect fps.

Shiken said:

I like how his screenshot is pre patch to create the illusion that the PS5 has the higher framerate, which does little for his claim.

Watch the DF video, the XSX holds a more solid frame rate in heavy combat now by a small margin, but has a lower bottom resolution.  If the PS5 had their bottom resolution lowered to match, they would likely be equal.

This is a tie, because the hairs that can be split go one way or the other pending on if you are talking about frame rate (XSX slight advantage) or higher bottom resolution (PS5 slight advantage), and in both cases the difference is far to small to matter.  It is also worth noting that the XSX only dipped that low in one isolated instance, so to say the PS5 is higher resolution the majority of the time is a stretch at best.

XSX slight advantage?

NXgamer, says he found a 0.02% (2/100ths of a single %) differnce between the two (PS5 vs XSX) at 60fps mode.
Thats not a advantage, thats a tie as you said.

Fps = its a wash, same differnce.
Resolution?  PS5 drops to 1440p, and Xbox drops to 1188p (Digital foundries claims). 

PS5 has a clear adv in resolution, and on avg runs a higher resolution (most of the time).

So theres no need to lower the PS5 resolution, to get matching FPS to the XSX, it already does.
While running a slightly higher resolution.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 29 November 2020

So much drama and damage control over PS5 winning this one. Just take the L and move on people. I am sure the tools will be updated next year..

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Azzanation said:

yep, I probably swapped them around when writeing that.

Evilms said:

That is from before the Patch..... it highlights the issue the Xbox series X (and S) had(has) with light sources (the torch) at night time in this game.

This is now fixed in 1.04.
They lower resolution now, to compensate, so it still runs 60 fps, even when useing the torch.
The "issue" is still there, but theres a workaround now, so it doesnt effect fps.

Shiken said:

XSX slight advantage?

NXgamer, says he found a 0.02% (2/100ths of a single %) differnce between the two (PS5 vs XSX) at 60fps mode.

Resolution?  PS5 drops to 1440p, and Xbox drops to 1188p (Digital foundries claims). 

PS5 has a clear adv in resolution, and on avg runs a higher resolution (most of the time).

So theres no need to lower the PS5 resolution, to get matching FPS to the XSX, it already does.

Look at the combat sequence shown on the NXGamer post patch video around the 8:20 mark, where the XSX is holding a more stable 60 fps.  I base my claims on what I can see, not just the narration alone.  It shows the XSX holding a slight frame rate advantage, and to me that is the same as the slight bottom resolution advantage of the PS5.  It also shows more tearing on the PS5 version here as well.

That is why I say if the bottom res on the PS5 was lowered to match, the frame rates would be identical.  Therefore with all things considered, it is a straight tie as in both cases the difference is too small to matter anyway.

Last edited by Shiken - on 29 November 2020

Shiken said:
JRPGfan said:

XSX slight advantage?

Look at the combat sequence shown on the DF video around the 8:20 mark, where the XSX is holding a more stable 60 fps.  I base my claims on what I can see, not just the narration alone.  It shows the XSX holding a slight frame rate advantage, and to me that is the same as the slight bottom resolution advantage of the PS5.  It also shows more tearing on the PS5 version here as well.

That is why I say if the bottom res on the PS5 was lowered to match, the frame rates would be identical.  Therefore with all things considered, it is a straight tie as in both cases the difference is too small to matter anyway.

8:20 does not show a combat sequence?
Recheck video and find where it is again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1HbGf2R7yk

or are you talking about the old video? not the 1.04 patch one?

*edit: I just rewatched the video again, because of your comment.
I think your mistaken. No were in the video do they show PS5 combat (ingame) fps.... they only show a few cutscene parts with minor dips.
95% of the entire video is about XSX and XSS. 

The last 10sec of the video: "and like I said, PS5 not a big differnce with this patch, so please stop bothering us on twitter"

While they do that, they show a tiny bit of PS5 ingame footage, with a torch, that on the old patch had dips down to 58fps, while on the newer patch runs 60.

I think you confused, either XSS or XSX with the PS5? when there was 2 side by side compairsions, and thought it was PS5vsXSX? or something.

Edit2:

also NXgamer ran XSX, and PS5 though the same section ingame, and analysed frame graphs.
Staticially theres a 0,02% differnce in performance.
This basically means both are identical in performance.

less than 1% = same.
less than 1/10th of a % = same.
2/100th's of a % = same.

There is no performance advantage to speak of.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 29 November 2020

JRPGfan said:
Shiken said:

Look at the combat sequence shown on the DF video around the 8:20 mark, where the XSX is holding a more stable 60 fps.  I base my claims on what I can see, not just the narration alone.  It shows the XSX holding a slight frame rate advantage, and to me that is the same as the slight bottom resolution advantage of the PS5.  It also shows more tearing on the PS5 version here as well.

8:20 does not show a combat sequence?
Recheck video and find where it is again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1HbGf2R7yk

I meant the NX gamer analysis, my bad.  I put DF by mistake.

Last edited by Shiken - on 29 November 2020

double post

Blood_Tears said:

So much drama and damage control over PS5 winning this one. Just take the L and move on people. I am sure the tools will be updated next year..

Wow can you quote this “so much” drama and damage control? I haven’t really seen much of any, let alone a lot of it.