By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassin's Creed Valhalla: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Updated NX Gamer - Update Digital Foundry

Were you expecting a big advantage for the XSX?

Yes 20 32.79%

No 41 67.21%

Total:61
Bristow9091 said:
I'm curious about the screenshot comparison images I've seen flying around (One is in the OP) that shows the PS5 with worse textures than the XSX, since I watched the video before, and then afterwards, and in the scene one of the pictures depicts... it's identical on both platforms in the video. Other than that I'm happy that the game will run pretty nicely on my PS5... once I finally get one, might be a while yet, had some major setbacks financially, lol.

Digital Foundry analysis was categoric that everything in the PS5 and Xbox Series X was the same (textures, DOF, etc) with differences in shots perhaps being from camera position or time of the day. The differences were solely on framerate and frame tearing. Seems like even that info of the PS5 dropping less in res was wrong, their resolution are also the same at every scene (but since PS5 hold out to 60fps when Xbox dropped in several instances perhaps PS5 could have had a higher res) also PS5 had V-sync enable which also costed some performance.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

DF clearly said PS5 performs BETTER, with XSX having screen tearing much more often, and can't even mantain 60 fps or close to when res drops to 1440p. In the scene where people move around with torches in the small village, in the whole scene PS5 keeps a perfect 60 fps with just a small drop to 58 fps, than back to steady 60 fps. XSX stays constantly below 50 fps, down to 46 fps, than 48 fps, and stay there. This is a massive 15% performance difference, plus add XSX is tearing much MUCH more, and there are many scenarios where PS5 version does not have screen tearing at all.Also, PS5 stays at higher res in many scenarios. DF said that. PS5 is the superior version, and not even by a small margin.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

sales2099 said:

https://youtu.be/zCPigsCrqLg

its a matter of Xbox not having the final dev kit to developers until much after Sony had theirs ready. It’s the launch period so no biggie but Series X will start to pull away as time goes on.

Sales not to rub salt on your wound, but the late dev kit was kinda debunked already.

Codemaster dev said both devkits were at similar level of maturity, difference being most how each dev would be familiar with tools, and Xbox being DirectX we can't say they weren't used to it. Also Haven't Phil Spencer saying he was playing on Xbox Series for over 1 year, also the BC of uncapped titles running at higher fps on Series because of virtualization and not needing patch like was the case for PS5? Also from John (who I think was the one that was saying he received info from some devs that the kits were late) doesn't expect significant gain because PS5 SDK will also improve with time.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

last92 said:
This is the best case scenario for xbox fans. Both consoles are amazing for their price and are very similar in terms of performance and I expect that to be the case for most multiplatform games. Therefore, MS won't be able to focus their marketing on power, teraflops, true 4k and other similarly pointless slogans. It's finally time to focus on games and services to the benefit of the players.

That was always the scapegoat. The conversation was always about games but it got derailed by the power talk as a way to claim that third party multiplats where more important than exclusives. They never where and now they have been removed from the conversation. Now theres no choice but talk about games. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Angelv577 said:
I wonder if recent face off favoring ps5 was the reason MS changed their marketing from " the most powerful console" to " the most powerful xbox"

Nah they changed that months ago. Maybe to emphasize the Xbox part, idk. It is still the most powerful console, not like they had to change it for any legal reasons or anything.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
DakonBlackblade said:
I suppose the conclusion here is that Mark Cerny is a genius, the man knows how to engineer a console

"No offense, but 1.825 ghz is pretty crazy for a console. we had a max of 1.172 ghz last gen.MS wasn't conservative at all. They pushed both the CUs and the clocks. They went with a super expensive vapor chamber cooler to achieve that. You seem to be forgetting that MS and Sony arent just cooling the GPU like AMD is doing, there is a CPU in there with a big io block and ram bus that needs to be cooled too.

Where MS screwed up was not thinking outside the box like Sony did. Sony went with a much cheaper and more traditional cooler/heatsink. it made their console look like a planet but they were willing to look ugly and big in order to save a buck. they also did a lot of work with liquid thermal cooling that tbh, MS nor any other GPU maker has bothered to implement. Sony was able to get to 2.23 ghz because they had fewer CUs AND because they went with liquid metal cooling and a traditional and super cheap heatsink that cost them only a few dollars according to bloomberg. Penello was super surprised to hear that the cooling was only costing sony a few dollars and refused to believe it. it likely cost MS almost $30 to do vapor chamber cooling. - SlimySnake (neogaf)

This.

Cerny is confirmed a genius now.
If you can use a smaller Chip (apu) and thus have cheaper costs, and use a cheaper cooler (even if its massive), then thats a smart move.

If it wasn't for the dual sense likely being more expensive than the Xbox Series X controller, I woulda without a doubt said the PS5 was cheaper to produce. I think its close though, and it actually has me wondering how far (down) the prices of these devices can even go.
Like will there be a slim version of a PS5? or XSX?

So you are saying that PS5 is the better engineered machine like several devs have spoken? Preposterous.

The takeaway is that these machines are super close, depending on how devs programm their games either the narrow and fast or the wide and not-as-fast approach will have slightly better endresults, but I doubt we will have a clear "better for 3rd parties" console this time around once the gen is in full swing.

eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:
Manlytears said:
Angelv577 said:
I wonder if recent face off favoring ps5 was the reason MS changed their marketing from " the most powerful console" to " the most powerful xbox"

I also noticed this. Seeing PS5 delivering better results sure have something to do with this. I find it very funny to see such results, lots of Xbox "zealots" are taking a big "L".

They wont admit it, now they are playing the waiting game. As soon as one game shows up that is like 2% better on the console you will see thread after thread poping up again. 

We have admitted to playing the waiting game this whole time lol. The whole “23 studios” going to mathematically outpace Sony’s once they get going bla bla bla, same goes for this. We waited 7 years, what’s 1 more for a new Xbox golden age? 

(Insert picture)

User was moderated for this post - Hiku

You said Xbox fans won’t admit anything, I admitted everything. Your response spoke volumes. Btw having a great time with Gears Tactics and EA Play games :)

And Hiku, fair enough. We just heard that Xbox gave out their full dev kit suite as late as June of this year. So if I must wait to gloat, then so be it. Ugh...feel like a PS3 fan saying “just wait” with teh Cell to kick in. I’ve become everything I hate lol. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 19 November 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Nate4Drake said:
DF clearly said PS5 performs BETTER, with XSX having screen tearing much more often, and can't even mantain 60 fps or close to when res drops to 1440p. In the scene where people move around with torches in the small village, in the whole scene PS5 keeps a perfect 60 fps with just a small drop to 58 fps, than back to steady 60 fps. XSX stays constantly below 50 fps, down to 46 fps, than 48 fps, and stay there. This is a massive 15% performance difference, plus add XSX is tearing much MUCH more, and there are many scenarios where PS5 version does not have screen tearing at all.Also, PS5 stays at higher res in many scenarios. DF said that. PS5 is the superior version, and not even by a small margin.

He corrected that. 15% is the average for the clip. When it drops for 46 vs 60 (that he speculate could be lot more since it have v-sync and is capped) it is 24% better on PS5 or 30% worse on Xbox depending on which you prefer to use.

sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:
Manlytears said:
Angelv577 said:

I also noticed this. Seeing PS5 delivering better results sure have something to do with this. I find it very funny to see such results, lots of Xbox "zealots" are taking a big "L".

They wont admit it, now they are playing the waiting game. As soon as one game shows up that is like 2% better on the console you will see thread after thread poping up again. 

We have admitted to playing the waiting game this whole time lol. The whole “23 studios” going to mathematically outpace Sony’s once they get going bla bla bla, same goes for this. We waited 7 years, what’s 1 more for a new Xbox golden age? 

(Insert picture)

User was moderated for this post - Hiku

You said Xbox fans won’t admit anything, I admitted everything. Your response spoke volumes. Btw having a great time with Gears Tactics and EA Play games :)

And Hiku, fair enough. We just heard that Xbox gave out their full dev kit suite as late as June of this year. So if I must wait to gloat, then so be it. Ugh...feel like a PS3 fan saying “just wait” with teh Cell to kick in. I’ve become everything I hate lol. 

Why did you ignore the info that it wasn't in worse shape than PS5 SDK and that the improvements it may received won't be alone and PS5 will also receive? Did you chose to ignore you talking about PS5 being delayed, no final console, issues in manufacturing and everything else? And what about Xbox transparency that you have been talking for months now, it was MS marketing saying that AC Valhalla would play better on Xbox (besides they having marketing deal so you can't fault devs to giving preference to Sony).