By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassin's Creed Valhalla: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Updated NX Gamer - Update Digital Foundry

Were you expecting a big advantage for the XSX?

Yes 20 32.79%

No 41 67.21%

Total:61
Blood_Tears said:
Hynad said:

Where and when did they say the resolution on the Series X was native 4K? 

Care to provide a source?

It was posted on Oct 29th/30th on every major gaming website. Gamingbolt, Dualshockers, popular social media influencers on Twitter etc ran rampant that day. They even said they reached out twice to Ubisoft and confirmed that XSX was native and PS5 was upscaled. It sparked this now locked thread on it as well.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/243697/assassinrsquos-creed-valhalla-runs-upscaled-4k-60-fps-on-ps5-xbox-series-x-native-4k-60/1/

Since the PS5 gameplay was shown last week, all the major articles have been updated just to reflect the upscaling part and they redacted the native XSX info after the fact.

https://gamingbolt.com/assassins-creed-valhalla-runs-at-upscaled-4k-on-ps5

https://www.dualshockers.com/assassins-creed-valhalla-ps5-xbox-4k-60fps/

No. People assumed it was native 4K, but it was simply never specified as such or otherwise at that point.

And those articles weren’t updated. I read them a while ago, and just as back then, they didn’t specify whether it was native or upscaled for the XSX version of the game.

Around the Network

I suppose the conclusion here is that Mark Cerny is a genius, the man knows how to engineer a console

I wonder if recent face off favoring ps5 was the reason MS changed their marketing from " the most powerful console" to " the most powerful xbox"

Angelv577 said:
I wonder if recent face off favoring ps5 was the reason MS changed their marketing from " the most powerful console" to " the most powerful xbox"

Did they actually do that?
I remember "the worlds most powerfull console", why would they change it?

Mark Cerny right now:“Told ya”

Around the Network

The Wizard did it again

It is weird that a cross-gen game is having performance issues on any of the next-gen systems. I fully expected both consoles to be able to run this game without much of a problem. I just don't see how this isn't an optimization issue considering how glaringly bad the game performs at times. I imagine a patch is in the works to fix the performance.

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 18 November 2020

smroadkill15 said:
It is weird that a cross-gen game is having performance issues on any of the next-gen systems. I fully expected both consoles to be able to run this game without much of a problem. I just don't see this isn't an optimization issue considering how glaringly bad the game performs at times. I imagine a patch is in the works to fix the performance.

Some of it, is likely fixable with a patch.
I wouldnt expect performance to just magically be tons better, and out perform the PS5 thought.

This was a Xbox marketed game, and they did put efforts into optimiseing it for the system.

Its just the differnce in real world performance, between the PS5 and XSX isnt very large.
The split memory / speeds on the XSX as a exsample, and the unified cache in the PS5 CPU vs not in the XSX cpu.
The cashe scrubbers on the PS5 gpu (that allows you to not dump all data, when your loading new parts).....
PS5 has small tweaks here and there, that allows for higher effeciency. Which is why its 10,3 Tflops, are matching the XSX's 12.

So far its not just AC - Valhalla.
Call of Duty - Cold War, System Redux, Watch Dogs, No mans Sky.... all confirmed to run better on the PS5.

Angelv577 said:

If only the fans that touted it could change their nicks to also hide from the backlash of the bragging.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Hiku said:
Blood_Tears said:
Ubisoft has definitely lost their credibility here as they said several times to different outlets that PS5 is upscaled res to 4k and XSX is native 4k. I understand due to marketing partnerships if devs don’t want to mention certain platforms and promote one over the other but they specifically lied about the resolution to the media about this. They got their palms greased with money from MS and after that it seems all transparency went out the window for them. There should have been no confusion from the start in stating both console versions are upscaled/dynamic 4k. After all that FUD slinging, a 15% performance difference in favor of PS5 is a perfect end result for those talking shit these last few months.

I didn't see Ubisoft make a false claim in this regard. But what happened on our forum at least was that @DirtyP2002 made a thread with the headline that this game runs at native 4K on SX, and upscaled on PS5.

The problem was that in the article he provided, while the Ubisoft representative said it would be upscaled on PS5, he did not say a word about the Series X version.

The article even emphasized the uncertainty of the Series X version. Don't know why DirtyP2002 assumed that this confirmed that the Series X version would be different. When called out on it, he just linked to another article that also did not specify this. So that's why @Ryuu96 locked the thread.

But I think this is a good example of why reading comprehension is important when interpreting what is said in interviews. Especially when making threads with eye catching headlines.
This also reminds me of the list of Ubisoft backwards compatible games on PS5 that @shikamaru317 posted where they were briefly listed as "not backwards compatible on PS5", and then they immediately took down their article citing 'inaccuracies'.

My guess was that someone at Ubisoft saw those games listed under "BOOTABLE - When playing on PS5, this game may exhibit errors or unexpected behaviour and some features available on PS4 may be absent", and assumed this meant they were not playable.
And as it turns out, every one of those games are in fact playable on PS5, and Digital Foundry were unable to find any issues in them. The 'unexpected behavior' could simply mean that they haven't been thoroughly tested yet, or there could be a few pixels that are off somewhere, 30 hours into the game, etc.

I also wanted to point something out to @sales2099 in the "Valhallah is not native on PS5" thread a few weeks ago, but I'll do it here instead.

sales2099 said:

Feels like 2013 comparisons except now I’m on the smiling side :)

Seeing the comments of people wanna delay the inevitable we’ll wait till Digital Foundry picks em apart. But I’m pretty confident Xbox will pull through on a variety of titles in the coming years. 

It's fine to pop off and be happy if that were the case. But it's also important to make sure to read and understand the source of that information first, or end up in a situation like this. A not insignificant amount of people spent time having to correct people on things they really shouldn't have needed to correct them on, if those people just understand what they read.

And a lot of times they don't. So we've had an influx of misleading, to straight up false, assertions in thread titles in the past few months almost every week.
Which are seemingly often driven by the desire to dunk on on a particular company prematurely, instead of waiting a couple of weeks, or reading things properly first.

One week it's "Series X is overheating." The next it's "PS5 is spying on you." Etc.

Seems there was this "source" that claimed Xbox would be Full 4k@60fps and also MS marketing saying it would run better on Xbox.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."