By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

Kantor said:
Mnementh said:

Still no ideas? I give another hint for #37. And it probably is time for #35.

#38: Pikmin guessed by cosmic_drift

Your first task: dig out a skull.
Said skull gives you pointers what to do next.
Plant and harvest crop, make wine and beer, give sermons, mine, craft, cook and in the DLC even run a tavern, but don't forget your actual job.
Your actual job is the name of the game.
A talking donkey brings you corpses, which are important as a resource and to improve your standing.

#36: Assassins Creed Odyssey guessed by Jpcc86

First entry of a spinoff series to a famous RPG-series.

37: Graveyard Keeper? I had to cheat and Google haha - never heard of it

35: This is probably too vague because it fits Mass Effect: Andromeda which nobody would ever put in a top 50

#37: Finally someone gets it, yes Graveyard Keeper, the morbid Stardew Valley.

#35: Nope, not Mass Effect. And the game was guessed fast in the last years, so I wanted to be a bit more obscure, maybe I overdid it.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force

• Windows PC
  • Unguessed

Unlike Star Wars, one can count the video games that are actually good in the Star Trek franchise on just one hand. There seems to be something about this franchise that seems to hinder the creation of great games. There are still some though. The Elite Force series, consisting of two games, is one of them.

The first game follows a sort of special forces team created on the starship Voyager to combat the hazards of the uncivilised parts of space where the ship is stranded, as happened in the tv-show. Some characters from the show also return and are mostly voiced by their real-life actors.

The sequel to this game released a few years later also deserves a mention, where the team gets reassigned to captain Picard's Enterprise after Voyager has returned home in the tv-show. Sadly the sequel was the last great Star Trek game to be made up to this day. I still hope something good will come of it at some point in the future.

I think I have an idea, why there are more good Star Wars game. It's probably less about Star Trek being difficult. Star Wars was created by LucasArts and it just so happened they also had a gaming studio. A very, very talented gaming studio. So I assume Star Wars has so many good games, because it's IP was owned by a studio with some of the best gaming talent in the industry.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:

Plant and harvest crop, make wine and beer, give sermons, mine, craft, cook and in the DLC even run a tavern, but don't forget your actual job.
A talking donkey brings you corpses, which are important as a resource and to improve your standing.

35. Final Fantasy Tactics.

Sorry for the double post.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 24 November 2020

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

Nope, I have no way playing that, although it sounnds like I might like it. I assume though you have it again on your list.

Around the Network

47.  Shadow of the Colossus
guessed by UnderwaterFunktown

I’ve gotta give props to this game for its unique experience.  If feels like I am totally alone traveling in this painting-like reality and killing giant monsters.  It’s still a one-of-a-kind experience and its focus on giant boss monsters has had a lot of influence on games in the post-PS2 era. 

46.  Wargroove
guessed by Mnementh

Outside of the NES era, my favorite Nintendo made game is Advance Wars.  It is also extremely frustrating that the DS is the last system with Advance Wars games on it.  Luckily for me, Wargroove came along.  It has all of the goodness of the Advance Wars games with a few unique mechanics to make it unique.  In short, it is everything I want out of an Advance Wars game.  While the title of the game is named after one new mechanic, the feature I like the most is actually the critical hit system.  I hope Chucklefish keeps making games like this, because I definitely plan to continue to buy them.

45.  Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
guessed by Mnementh

For years I quested for a game that could scratch that “Final Fantasy Tactics” itch.  Appropriately, the best game I found to do this was Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.  I’ve always liked this game, but the first time I played it, I was disappointed that it wasn’t even more like the original game.  A few years ago, after much questing for a game similar to the original, I finally was able to accept this game for what it was.  The very basic gameplay is the same as the original FFT, but this game is more about building your party from a variety of races.  This is actually a very fun game in it’s own right and it takes certain things in a different direction compared to the first game.  And these mechanics are actually very enjoyable in their own right. 

44.  Dead Cells
guessed by Veknoid_Outcast

I’ve tried plenty of new indie games over the past couple of years, but I was shocked just how fun Dead Cells is.  It snuck up on me.  In fact, during my first couple of playthroughs in this action roguelike I didn’t think this game was terribly special.  However, the game gives you big bonuses if you are able to finish a stage in a fast amount of time.  That is really the key to how great this game is.  Once you try playing it fast, the game really comes alive.  There are so many ways to kill enemies and most of the ways are extremely satisfying.  It’s all of the quick killing and exploring that you are encouraged to do in the game…it puts you in the zone, and it just becomes an extremely fun experience.

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Nope, I have no way playing that, although it sounnds like I might like it. I assume though you have it again on your list.

Well...all of the games on my top 10 last year are pretty solid in my most loved games.  I think the most that could happen is that they could get kicked out of the top 10.  Not really a chance they could go from top 10 to completely off my list though.

I'm hoping Square-Enix will release Final Fantasy Tactics again, so I can get a physical version on the Switch.  They have been releasing a lot of their older FF titles, 7-12 on Switch, plus the Mana trilogy, so I hope they just keep going and release games like FF Tactics.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

Well...all of the games on my top 10 last year are pretty solid in my most loved games.  I think the most that could happen is that they could get kicked out of the top 10.  Not really a chance they could go from top 10 to completely off my list though.

I'm hoping Square-Enix will release Final Fantasy Tactics again, so I can get a physical version on the Switch.  They have been releasing a lot of their older FF titles, 7-12 on Switch, plus the Mana trilogy, so I hope they just keep going and release games like FF Tactics.

I would like such a rerelease, as I love games with such a mix of turn-based tactics and RPG-elements, as other games in my list show. I am certain FFT might be to my liking. So being able to play it on a platform I own, I would appreciate that.

Mnementh said:
Kantor said:

Okay, I'll make the hints a little easier.

37 - An iconic duo take some time apart as one (the bigger, furry one) focuses on his family and the other (the smaller, metalic one) on his career.

36 - Advertised as having revolutionary ("Radiant") NPC AI, which ultimately turned out to be so bad it's the basis for a meme format - this game's music over an awkward, stilted conversation. Well met? Well met.

35 - We couldn't figure out how to follow on from the last game's story, so we'll pretend you actually failed the campaign and Earth was conquered - and go from there. The newest entry in this series had a somewhat mixed reception (though I enjoy it) and featured the chance to team up with some of your former enemies to protect a revolutionary new city where humans and aliens live and work together.

38) Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings

Oh, the hours I spent on this game. I remember it looking almost photorealistic in retrospect. I was never much of an online gamer (then or now) so pretty much all of it was spent in the campaign modes, each of which I finished several times over. Not only were they a great history lesson, but building up a small town, getting incrementally stronger and crushing your enemies is just a hugely satisfying experience. It's a real shame the RTS genre has faded into obscurity lately - hopefully the new Age of Empires ever comes out and turns out to be reasonably good, though based on AoE3 I don't have particularly high hopes.

#37: I already assumed that might be Ratchet&Clank before, but as I never played any game in the series I did shut up. Now, I just guess which one. Let's say 3, that sounds like the one.

It is indeed an R&C game - 3 is my favourite in the series and is higher up the list. It doesn't really fit the hint though.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Mnementh said:

#37: I already assumed that might be Ratchet&Clank before, but as I never played any game in the series I did shut up. Now, I just guess which one. Let's say 3, that sounds like the one.

It is indeed an R&C game - 3 is my favourite in the series and is higher up the list. It doesn't really fit the hint though.

So maybe someone who actually played the games should guess which one fits the hints. I am kinda baffled no one else thought about R&C (at least no one said it), because that I got pretty fast from the iconic duo, with only knowing promo pictures and trailers of the games.