By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

mZuzek said:
Runa216 said:

50 - This game's theme song was so popular and well-liked they released it on the video game Rock Band
- The campaign is only about 4-5 hours long on a first playthrough but as little as 1-2 for experienced players.

I wouldn't say it's a "theme" song. Nice hint though. Again, I can't go around guessing, so I'll leave it up there. A bit late for this today, so I'm gonna make my next hint pretty obvious.

#40 - A fan remake of a game that got an official remake just over a year later.

Metroid: samus returns?

Bofferbrauer2 said:

42: Yoshi's story?

50: The only videogame song I see worth to play in Rock band would be the Hell March, so my (probably wrong) guess is Command and Conquer: Red Alert

No to both! 

The game is/was a free song in Rock Band

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

I don't remember what it's called off the top of my head, but is it the Metroid 2 fan remake?

Yeah, it's called AM2R.

Ah yea that's it. I really liked Samus Returns, so maybe I should give it a try at some point for comparison.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

#47 Portal 2

Speedy thing goes in. Speedy thing comes out. Portal isn't a shooter, but a puzzle game, wearing a shooter's clothes. The writing is hilarious. Portal 2 has more levels, a co-op mode, and almost as hilarious writing. 

Mnementh said:

Time for the next game to guess. And #37 is unguessed so far, so I add a hint.

#40: Resident Evil as guessed by UnderwaterFunktown

#39: Baldur's Gate III guessed by UnderwaterFunktown
After 20 years finally we get the third mainline entry, for the moment in early access.

#38: Pikmin guessed by cosmic_drift
Your spaceship crashed on this strange planet and you need to find it's missing parts.

Your first task: dig out a skull.
Said skull gives you pointers what to do next.

#36: Assassins Creed Odyssey guessed by Jpcc86
Climb enormous statues of gods to enjoy the view.

#37: Zak and Wiki: Quest for Babaros' Treasure

Signature goes here!

It's the catch up, lightning round!

#47 - Super Punch Out!! (SNES)

The SNES an era is a period where I had the time to become really good at games I loved and not just merely play until I reached the end and move on to the next. Super Punch Out!! was one of these games, with many repeat playthroughs, the time attack mode and some tips from Nintendo Power, I was able to destroy every fighter in the game under 30 secs. Today I do enjoy going back to it to play from start to finish, I can't do my record times anymore but I still win 16-0.

Fanart credit: https://www.deviantart.com/ressq/art/Piston-Hondo-494354161

#46 - Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (PS1)

Still to me the ultimate ninja fantasy game (haven't tried Ghost of Tsushima yet). I loved planning my course of attack from a rooftop and going for only stealth kills. The game features a great variety of ninja tools like shurikens, a grappling hook, poisoned rice, smoke bombs, all of this to aid you in your quest to brutally murder the enemies of Lord Ghoda.

Fanart credit: https://www.deviantart.com/tagamaynila/art/Tenchu-5037161

#45 - Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)

The Prime series is fantastic, even Echoes which I enjoyed a bit less with it's dual world mechanic. MP3: Corruption made excellent use of the Wii motion controls (snatching shield from enemies with the grappling beam is very satisfying) and also features a nice cast of characters with the bounty hunters Samus has to face. The multiple planet setup means the level design isn't as impressive as the GameCube original but it was still a joy to explore.

Fanart credit: https://www.deviantart.com/hybridmink/art/Dark-Samus-Ultimate-765752609

#44 - Star Fox 64 (N64)

Another game I played over and over. Star Fox 64 is much more accessible as it's SNES predecessor while still providing a decent challenge. The medals system add a lot of replay value as you redo missions again and again to maximize your score. It features some of the most iconic voice acting of all time and introduced Star Wolf and his team to the Star Fox universe. The stages where you fight your nemeses are some of my favorites. 

Fanart credit: https://www.deviantart.com/starsandoceans/art/Star-Fox-64-N64-20th-Anniversary-Tribute-575481163

#43 - Bioshock (PC)

A game I played after getting recommendations from VGC. I wanted to give a FPS a try since I'd been shunning them for a long long time and asked which one was the best, turns out VGC has good taste! 

Bioshock is deeply immersive, has a fascinating story, great pacing and can scare you shitless too! It reconciled me with FPS games and proved I am a terrible person since I harvested every single Little Sister I could find. 

Fanart credit: https://www.deviantart.com/luminaura/art/Bioshock-828010030

#42 - Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Amazing music, gorgeous sprite graphics, challenging levels those are some of the reasons why I hold Super Castlevania IV is such high esteem. The atmosphere is great, the gameplay is solid and you get to eat chicken you found hiding in a wall! 

Fanart credit: https://www.deviantart.com/axlsalles/art/Simon-Belmont-661298318

#41 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)

Uncharted 2 is a perfect balance of great storytelling, fast paced action and beautiful set pieces. I consider it the best game in the series hands down. I think I replayed it on Hard instantly after finishing it because I didn't want it to be over. I also has a lot of fun in the multiplayer portion of the game, not that I was particularly good at it.

Fanart credit: https://www.deviantart.com/patryk-garrett/art/Uncharted-2-179692988

#40 - Mega Man 2 (NES)

When I first got this game, I thought I'd never manage to finish it (I was only 9) but I played and played it until even hard mode had no secret for me. This title features a great cast of robot masters, the best weapon in the whole series (Metal Blades!) and some kick ass tunes too! 

Fanart credit: https://www.deviantart.com/schalternate/art/MEGAMAN-2-Group-Shot-674996677

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 22 November 2020

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

#39: First title of a series that started on NES and was recently revived to average reviews.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Mnementh said:

Time for the next game to guess. And #37 is unguessed so far, so I add a hint.

#40: Resident Evil as guessed by UnderwaterFunktown

#39: Baldur's Gate III guessed by UnderwaterFunktown
After 20 years finally we get the third mainline entry, for the moment in early access.

#38: Pikmin guessed by cosmic_drift
Your spaceship crashed on this strange planet and you need to find it's missing parts.

Your first task: dig out a skull.
Said skull gives you pointers what to do next.

#36: Assassins Creed Odyssey guessed by Jpcc86
Climb enormous statues of gods to enjoy the view.

#37: Zak and Wiki: Quest for Babaros' Treasure

You actually do find a skull which brings you to the path to more treasure... but that is not the game I had in mind. Zack&Wiki didn't make my list again this year: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9246127

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

TruckOSaurus said:

#39: First title of a series that started on NES and was recently revived to average reviews.

Battletoads? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Battletoads? 

Correct!

Signature goes here!

Runa216 said:

50 - This game's theme song was so popular and well-liked they released it on the video game Rock Band
- The campaign is only about 4-5 hours long on a first playthrough but as little as 1-2 for experienced players.

49 - The PS2 and Xbox 360 versions of the game were mostly identical but the Xbox 360 version had a bit more unique content.
- This game is what really propelled a genre into he mainstream, only to have it fizzle out a few years later.

48 - This beloved classic leaned into the genre's more campy elements and is widely considered a masterpiece for it.
- It might be one of the most remastered and rereleased games of all time, and the company recently redid its prequels to great success.

47 - This game left people wondering if the protagonist was human or not, given his relations to other humans within the game world.
- It is also one of the highest rated games of all time and the best-selling in its franchise.

46 - Your ally is a vegetable and your enemy is an idiot.
- This game is a sequel to another game already on the list.

45 - What's gravity? Infinity, that's what.
- This game got a remake that sold better than the original.

44 - Axiom Verge

43 - The Messenger

42 - For the first time ever in this sequel, you can play as the main hero's best friend in their own unique campaign.
- It is the fourth entry in the series, which is in its own is a side-series to a game that has been around since the NES

41 - Red Dead Redemption

50. Call of Duty, Black Ops.  I'm asuming the song is Gimme Shelter
48. Tomb Raider?
47. Mass Effect 2?
45. Gravity Rush?

cosmic_drift said:

#39 - A popular video game mascot and his friends play dress up

#38 - You could think of this GBA title as "Think Fast: The Game"

#37 - Some "spells" in this game include "Fairy Faire", "Tempesta", "Baracuda Spin", "Stardust Whip", and the series' staple "Bayo-en!"

#36 - Fans of this popular series consider this game to be a "bright spot" in a string of rather disappointing games 

38. Warioware Inc?