By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - How do you like the new look and functionality of VGChartz?

How do you like the new look and functionality of VGChartz?

It's notably better than before 98 11.06%

It's slightly better than before 237 26.75%

It's about the same as before 80 9.03%

It's slightly worse than before 192 21.67%

It's notably worse than before 257 29.01%

Didn't even notice a change 22 2.48%

Total:886
gord352 said:
KLXVER said:
Love it. My favorite feature is that now I can actually choose consoles older than the N64 to filter games in my collection. The site loads slower for me, but its not that bad.

Eh? What's this? Where is this feature to add games in your collection?

Just go to Game DB, search for a game and add it to your collection.

Around the Network
ModBod said:

Its way worse, almost all the page is taken up by adverts. Time to move on I think.

O_o... Your last post was 3 years ago. Feels like you already moved on.

As for the site, was slow as hell the first few days. Now that it's seemingly normal speed, I'm used to it.

Formatting is broken on mobile. Oftentimes multiple overlapping ads will fill the screen, and it will take multiple refreshes to finally reach the home page. Even when I do get through, I can't really see much of the design because I have to scroll around so much. Quotes are still broken for me in mobile too. I'll see how it functions on desktop eventually, I suppose.

You mean, this?

Honestly, it looks a bit like the website I built in high school in the late 90s. My first thought was "oh, they must be having some technical difficulties".

Bonus answer: you're still missing a table view in your charts menu (like it used to be). That chart there is difficult to read, at best.

Bonus answer 2: this website and forum revolve mainly around the sales, therefore the latest weekly sales forum topic should be pinned somewhere to the front page (until the next one comes in) and in the sales forum, it should be sticky. Not to mention that from the front page "Sales Discussion" is no longer available, at least to me. And please don't tell me that this option is buried somewhere in my profile settings because even if it is, it definitely shouldn't.

Last edited by Kristof81 - on 13 November 2020

Kristof81 said:

You mean, this?

Honestly, it looks a bit like the website I built in high school in the late 90s. My first thought was "oh, they must be having some technical difficulties".

Same.

I was like "ok it this a 25th anniversary celebration design or what ?"

When you see Times New Roman on a website as basic font, it's usually not a good sign design wise.

It mixes flat elements (with huge color difference) with pseudo-3D elements with very old style shadows, very weird.

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Around the Network

A lot of stuff I'd like to respond to in here - I'm only through the first 50 comments or so, but I did want to take a stab at some of this. A couple of general points:

- many of the "this used to underline" or "this was a different font" or "the color changed here" type stuff, is accidental. One of the biggest changes done for this update, is one not really seen by anyone - and it's a general conolidation and clean-up of our css files. I can't tell you how many site specific files we had - while trying to manage different themes and everything else, it was an absolute MESS!! So, I had to spend hours combing through all of these files - weeding out duplicate styles and/or styles that conflicted from one css to the next - it was truly an unholy mess. The side effect of all this type of cleaning, is some of these "minor" changes get lost or overlooked. They may seem HUGE to you all, but when you've been staring at (and refreshing) the same page, over and over and over again, you are absolutely not going to notice every minor detail. Hell, we had a team of at least 6-8 people combing through this and there are dozens of things they missed, too!!! We're not Amazon or Facebook or some multi-million dollar enterprise. We're one volunteer coder (who has a full-time day job and family at home), along with a handful of volunteer testers (who also have jobs and families) - so we're bound to miss details like this. Maybe some were design choice - most likely though, they were changes that were simply missed. Obviously you all can't tell the difference, so the best thing to do is simply assume it's a bug FIRST and report it - if it was a concsious change, we'll say so - if it was a bug, we'll say so and fix it. Simple as that!!

- I see quite a few "there's too many features on the front page!!" - which in reality, is a perception issue. If you look at the orignal site upgrade thread and compare some of the before/after screens, you'll note there are LESS features on the front page. Well, maybe not less, but certainly not MORE! Many of the features were always there, but weren't so obvious and therefore, people might not have even know they existed. Other features which may have been spread to multiple boxes, were instead combined into a single box with tabs. More graphics on the front page? Sure, that is true - but more items and features in general? Definitely not.

- A few things list below can be addressed with settings that have always existed, but perhaps have been unknown - I will mention where appropriate.

Ka-pi96 said:

Worse than before.I don't like that the thing you are mousing over in the buddy/profile drop down box is no longer underlined. Doesn't confirm that you're actually about to click on it anymore. It's a minor thing, but it's kind of annoying. I assumed that was remove because now clicking the whole box would take you to the thread, rather than just on the words, but that's not the case, so... why is it gone?

The front page also looks ugly. Everything's too big and there are way too many pictures.As for functionality I'd like, how about accurate time stamps? I live in one of the countries that doesn't stupidly change the clocks every 6 months, but VGC still changes them anyway, so for half the year all of the time stamps are wrong.

I'd also really like thread bets to be removeable/replaceable. Would love to do more bets in the football thread but the current expired one seems to be permanently stuck there.

Edit: I'd also like post formatting to work. Had to edit this post to re-add the paragraphs. Why did VGC turn it into a wall of text when I didn't write it like that?

- missing underline is a mistake - it will be added

- do you use the timezone setting in your profile? is this a case of you not knowing the feature is there or that it's not working?

- removeable bets is already on the tbd list for the next round of updates

- I am aware of issues with the Quick Reply and Quote Trees. Not sure about whatever other issue you might be having with formatting, but if there's something else wrong with it, please continue this discussion in either the Site Upgrade thread itself, or the Web Development one - please don't continue it here or it will get lost and forgotten

Jpcc86 said:

TBH I might avoid the front page altogether from now on. When they said they were redesigning it, I expected a cleaner version - I mean it wasnt great before - but instead now the front page is FULL of features that are not even necessary to have there, much more so than before. Clear downgrade for me.

- as I mentioned in my opening - there isn't a single feature that has been "added" to the front page. Everything that's there now, was absolutely there before. What is there now, that wasn't there before?

RolStoppable said:
Machina said:
Very unfair and annoying that you run this poll so soon, when we're trying to deal with a major slowdown problem that the coding guys don't know the cause of; that's going to completely cloud judgment on the changes.

The staff was always going to lose this poll by default because the majority of people goes by "I was used to how it was, now I have to learn again how to find my way around, therefore it's worse than before."

I don't remember any major site update that was met with a net positive initial reception, so the current staff shouldn't worry too much about this poll.

- Perception is everything, Rol - and yes, you started this poll WAY too early! I agree with you that there are those that don't like change, no matter how big or small (and for the record, I wouldn't consider this a "major update" either - it's more like a "refresh") - but first impressions are a killer, and the abysmal performance issues we had in the begging would absolutely swing the results. Read the comments, it's pretty obvious.

Zero_Revolution said:
Haven't checked it out on desktop yet so that may change my views. On mobile it's been somewhat annoying for awhile to tell the truth, but I actually like it less now because nothing can be seen on a single screen. And I'm not the biggest fan of the avatars next to forum topics. Otherwise, it's probably fine, I imagine I'll like it on PC.

- Can you gert a screenshot of the "nothing can be seen on a single screen" issue, because I'm not exactly following you? A lot of work was put into cleaning up the entire site, so that we no longer had random pages here and there that hadn't been reformatted with the responsive layout.

Ljink96 said:

Also on mobile you have to scroll for a while just to get down to the topics, which I feel is one of the more important part of VGC. While it's nice to see the OP's avatar next to their topics, I feel that since the website is contained in a div that allows for ads to be displayed, it takes away real estate for negative space. Overall I think it's too busy and the forum design isn't cohesive to the new changes.

I

- Are you aware of the option to flip the Left and Right columns? It's in your profile settings and the entire reason this option was added, was to satisfy this specific issue - swapping the columns allows the Hot Topics to load first on a mobile device

i miss you reviewing games @TalonMan those put a smile on my face including the random CAPS and all

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

TalonMan said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Worse than before.I don't like that the thing you are mousing over in the buddy/profile drop down box is no longer underlined. Doesn't confirm that you're actually about to click on it anymore. It's a minor thing, but it's kind of annoying. I assumed that was remove because now clicking the whole box would take you to the thread, rather than just on the words, but that's not the case, so... why is it gone?

The front page also looks ugly. Everything's too big and there are way too many pictures.As for functionality I'd like, how about accurate time stamps? I live in one of the countries that doesn't stupidly change the clocks every 6 months, but VGC still changes them anyway, so for half the year all of the time stamps are wrong.

I'd also really like thread bets to be removeable/replaceable. Would love to do more bets in the football thread but the current expired one seems to be permanently stuck there.

Edit: I'd also like post formatting to work. Had to edit this post to re-add the paragraphs. Why did VGC turn it into a wall of text when I didn't write it like that?

- do you use the timezone setting in your profile? is this a case of you not knowing the feature is there or that it's not working?

- I am aware of issues with the Quick Reply and Quote Trees. Not sure about whatever other issue you might be having with formatting, but if there's something else wrong with it, please continue this discussion in either the Site Upgrade thread itself, or the Web Development one - please don't continue it here or it will get lost and forgotten

Yes, I use the timezone setting. I know the feature is there, it just doesn't work correctly. As I said it adjusts for daylight savings, regardless of whether that country adjusts or not.

I use GMT+9. Which is correct. Except during half the year I get GMT+10, despite it still being GMT+9 in settings.

Remoevable bets will be great, looking forward to that update!

Last edited by Ka-pi96 - on 15 November 2020

Ka-pi96 said:
TalonMan said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Yes, I use the timezone setting. I know the feature is there, it just doesn't work correctly. As I said it adjusts for daylight savings, regardless of whether that country adjusts or not.

I use GMT+9. Which is correct. Except during half the year I get GMT+10, despite it still being GMT+9 in settings.

Remoevable bets will be great, looking forward to that update!

is adjust for DST set on no?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.