By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - How do you like the new look and functionality of VGChartz?

How do you like the new look and functionality of VGChartz?

It's notably better than before 98 11.06%

It's slightly better than before 237 26.75%

It's about the same as before 80 9.03%

It's slightly worse than before 192 21.67%

It's notably worse than before 257 29.01%

Didn't even notice a change 22 2.48%

Total:886

DOUBLE POST, only next one is needed...

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 09 November 2020

Around the Network

I guess some thing have sped up, but other stuff is still slow... Not sure if it's still the case, but when I was going to next pages of thread, they basically wouldn't load. I would think upgrading to new server version should have FASTER site, not slower, or that should be goal. Maybe some stuff with UI is good like dark mode and menus, but overall the front page is a wreck, way too much space used on graphics, from user icons to too large flags and 'logos' for sections.

Cut that down, and make it more information dense, 99% of the time I am only interested in 5-10% of the content and I assume most users are like that, so it needs to be streamlined so you can easiliy scan the whole page and have the items you are interested pop out, which boils down to the TEXT. If you have space to include game cover without impeding the rest, OK, but the game graphics is not something that actually lets me navigate the page, i.e. I see the pic and know to click on it, etc. The article graphics likewise could be smaller so more can be fit in smaller area to allow less scrolling.

The 'modal' buttons like in upper right of page (to switch display of (sub)forums) seems absurdly wasteful: Spreading out "Hot Topics", "Latest Topics" over two lines... all to have a bunch of empty horizontal space? Having "scroll" function when there is only 5 subtopics that only need one "scroll" click in the 1st place?? Why not break it up into 3 column X 2 row text array, 1 for Forum in general, 5 others for each sub-topic? ->No scrolling, direct access, and only needs normal HTML text instead of empty-space wasting "button" BS.

Also look at how small choice end up forcing suboptimal layout: "Global Hardware Weekly - Week 44, 2020 " is long enough it forces 2nd line, but is that really neccessay? Instead, why not just say "Global Hardware - Week 44, 2020", repeating Weekly/Week doesn't seem necessay.

It looks like the full "Articles" have good space saving approach of overlaying text atop the b/g graphics, Why don't the shorter "Latest Stories" content use the same approach? Just that one step would makethem take about 40% less vertical space, reducing the "required" scrolling by that much instantly. Those graphics themselves seem like they could be reduced to 60% current height while still being good quality. It's possible the "top Article" and it's graphic could also be similarly reduced in size, I mean is the current Global Sales Chart article REALLY that amazing that everybody must have it take up 1/3 of the front pagevertical space, which forces more scrolling? I don't think so, having one item bigger is understandable,but I think that still works at only 60% of current "top article" image's current size.

Going by the rouglhy 3" of black space on sides of my screen, I also wonder if the layout could be adaptable, Seems like alot of people could easily use 3x wide layout for the articles (instead of current 2 column layout), reducing scrolling by 50% in one go. Honestly I think the vast majority of people have "wide screens" that could easily add an extra column,so just making that the default seems reasonable, even if page will scale back to 2x wide article layout on smaller screens.

EDIT: Posting this from quick reply takes FOREVER and seems to hang, that seems another problem. Also the Quick Reply doesn't keep any blank lines between paragraphs, I had to go back and EDIT this so it didn't look like giant un-readable wall of text.

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 09 November 2020

Load times are still very slow occasionally. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Zkuq said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Zkuq said:

Here's a funny thing since you have some eye for detail here: Try clicking on a text in the buddy with your mouse wheel. Now try clicking outside a text in the buddy where you would expect it to open a thread. Notice a difference? Me too. Now I only click on the text, only it's not underlined like it used to be so it's harder to be sure when you're clicking on the correct thing. This is a very minor issue but it was one of the first things I noticed.

I don't notice anything new there. The mouse wheel click is my default to open a new tab for each thread anyway. That still works, and it still doesn't do that if you're not on the text.

The underline is definitely gone, but I don't notice any difference in click functionality.

Yeah, it hasn't changed, but I don't think there was this hand cursor when you were not highlighting the text before. Now there's the hand cursor to signify the non-text part being clickable when middle click actually doesn't work but regular left click does. I guess this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine because I've noticed it relatively often.

Oh yeah, never noticed the hand cursor. Although regular left click doesn't work for me either outside the text. Unless I want to highlight it (or auto-scroll for middle click), it doesn't open the thread though.

Personally, not a fan of it. Preferred the old look of the site. Admittedly I tend to be change averse, but I'm just not a fan of how the forum posts section of the home page has the profile pics of the thread posters, takes up too much space. I can live with the other changes and will eventually get used to them, but I really hope that those thread poster profile pics are removed so that more forum threads can be viewed on the home page. The site also seems to load slower now than it did before, sporadically. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Personally, not a fan of it. Preferred the old look of the site. Admittedly I tend to be change averse, but I'm just not a fan of how the forum posts section of the home page has the profile pics of the thread posters, takes up too much space. I can live with the other changes and will eventually get used to them, but I really hope that those thread poster profile pics are removed so that more forum threads can be viewed on the home page. The site also seems to load slower now than it did before, sporadically. 

After fixing the slowness and other bugs, removing the avatars on the forums section is one thing we've been discussing. Have them removed by default, but have an option in settings to turn them on for those that like it. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
TruckOSaurus said:

[...]

IDK whether it's already been suggested, but I have a suggestion for a forum function: if you view a single post coming there from the thread, you can see it again in the thread just going back, but if you arrive to a single post in another way, e.g. from notifications or from a search engine, the only way to see that post in its thread position is to browse the whole thread, only helped by the post date to narrow the search a little, and in very long threads it can be a long process even this way, a button that does the inverse function of the View Post one could be useful.

Thanks anyway for the good and huge job you and all the staff are doing in the site!

RolStoppable said:

This past Saturday VGChartz launched a major site update. Simple question: Is it better or worse than before?

Bonus question: What's your most desired functionality that is still missing?

Already answered the first question, about the bonus one, I quote here too just above your post's quote the suggestion I just gave in the feedback and suggestion thread.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I didn't like the lag the other day, but I really like how things are more compact, how you can quickly navigate between different forum sets via smooth buttons, and the thing I'm most happy about is how the My Games section on our profiles have been redone. That is the most used feature on this site for me, as I like to keep records of all my reviews (all 150 of them or so and growing). Nice work!

Feature that I really want that's still missing is to use the scores from My Games to count as the userscores when looking up games. Instead, we have to enter a user score in addition to scoring it on mygames, which means a lot less user scores are being entered and therefore the results are skewed. It would be a lot of fun to have a realistic view of what this sites users think about major games.

Edit:

Though I just checked and here is Hades:

Community Stats

Owners: 2 (Remove)
Favorite: 0 (Add)
Tracked: 0 (Add)
Wishlist: 0
Now Playing: 0 (Add)

Avg Community Rating:

My Rating (slide to rate):

Either I'm wrong and this site does, in fact, merge those scores (which means only two people, one of which is me, have claimed to own this game on this site and that seems inaccurate), or something else is going on here.

Last edited by Dulfite - on 11 November 2020

The main screen freezes up on me after it loads.  I can scroll across, but not up and down, so I am unable to access any of the front page, except for the header advertisement.

Anyone else with this issue?

It takes longer to load and looks really messy on PC. Not a fan but I guess it'll take time getting use it.