By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - How do you like the new look and functionality of VGChartz?

How do you like the new look and functionality of VGChartz?

It's notably better than before 98 11.06%

It's slightly better than before 237 26.75%

It's about the same as before 80 9.03%

It's slightly worse than before 192 21.67%

It's notably worse than before 257 29.01%

Didn't even notice a change 22 2.48%

Total:886

This is my first time logging in since the re-design, and there's much I haven't looked at/tried out...I am having some problems with speed that I hope will be resolved. At least in accessing messages and notifications. Seems fine outside of that. I generally like the aesthetics.....don't like the avi attached to the thread. Preferred the mystery of not knowing who created the thread until I clicked on it, and sometimes guessing who it may be....."Oh, I bet it's THAT jackass. Hatching schemes to catch some Smurfs again." You know the guy I'm talking about...

My main issue is not something Talon did. The ads are worse than ever. "The VGChartz Periscope" is now present on areas of the site it never was before, shrinking the usable viewing area down to a size that is more fit for a parody of website advertising than an actual application. Browsing members to see who was banned, profile pages, even settings. AND there are videos popping up too? That's not a good fit for me. And there's, I'm sorry to have to say, an element of disrespect to it. Yes, adblock...I'm not installing it for one site. And besides, I would ideally like to help a site I frequent with some type of support. I don't mind ads, but like anything else in life, there are limits. That's why I call myself The 14 Times Kid, and not Captain Infinity.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
gord352 said:
KLXVER said:
Love it. My favorite feature is that now I can actually choose consoles older than the N64 to filter games in my collection. The site loads slower for me, but its not that bad.

Eh? What's this? Where is this feature to add games in your collection?

Just go to Game DB, search for a game and add it to your collection.

ModBod said:

Its way worse, almost all the page is taken up by adverts. Time to move on I think.

O_o... Your last post was 3 years ago. Feels like you already moved on.

As for the site, was slow as hell the first few days. Now that it's seemingly normal speed, I'm used to it.

Formatting is broken on mobile. Oftentimes multiple overlapping ads will fill the screen, and it will take multiple refreshes to finally reach the home page. Even when I do get through, I can't really see much of the design because I have to scroll around so much. Quotes are still broken for me in mobile too. I'll see how it functions on desktop eventually, I suppose.

You mean, this?

Honestly, it looks a bit like the website I built in high school in the late 90s. My first thought was "oh, they must be having some technical difficulties".

Bonus answer: you're still missing a table view in your charts menu (like it used to be). That chart there is difficult to read, at best.

Bonus answer 2: this website and forum revolve mainly around the sales, therefore the latest weekly sales forum topic should be pinned somewhere to the front page (until the next one comes in) and in the sales forum, it should be sticky. Not to mention that from the front page "Sales Discussion" is no longer available, at least to me. And please don't tell me that this option is buried somewhere in my profile settings because even if it is, it definitely shouldn't.

Last edited by Kristof81 - on 13 November 2020

Around the Network
Kristof81 said:

You mean, this?

Honestly, it looks a bit like the website I built in high school in the late 90s. My first thought was "oh, they must be having some technical difficulties".

Same.

I was like "ok it this a 25th anniversary celebration design or what ?"

When you see Times New Roman on a website as basic font, it's usually not a good sign design wise.

It mixes flat elements (with huge color difference) with pseudo-3D elements with very old style shadows, very weird.

i miss you reviewing games @TalonMan those put a smile on my face including the random CAPS and all

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
TalonMan said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Worse than before.I don't like that the thing you are mousing over in the buddy/profile drop down box is no longer underlined. Doesn't confirm that you're actually about to click on it anymore. It's a minor thing, but it's kind of annoying. I assumed that was remove because now clicking the whole box would take you to the thread, rather than just on the words, but that's not the case, so... why is it gone?

The front page also looks ugly. Everything's too big and there are way too many pictures.As for functionality I'd like, how about accurate time stamps? I live in one of the countries that doesn't stupidly change the clocks every 6 months, but VGC still changes them anyway, so for half the year all of the time stamps are wrong.

I'd also really like thread bets to be removeable/replaceable. Would love to do more bets in the football thread but the current expired one seems to be permanently stuck there.

Edit: I'd also like post formatting to work. Had to edit this post to re-add the paragraphs. Why did VGC turn it into a wall of text when I didn't write it like that?

- missing underline is a mistake - it will be added

- do you use the timezone setting in your profile? is this a case of you not knowing the feature is there or that it's not working?

- removeable bets is already on the tbd list for the next round of updates

- I am aware of issues with the Quick Reply and Quote Trees. Not sure about whatever other issue you might be having with formatting, but if there's something else wrong with it, please continue this discussion in either the Site Upgrade thread itself, or the Web Development one - please don't continue it here or it will get lost and forgotten

Yes, I use the timezone setting. I know the feature is there, it just doesn't work correctly. As I said it adjusts for daylight savings, regardless of whether that country adjusts or not.

I use GMT+9. Which is correct. Except during half the year I get GMT+10, despite it still being GMT+9 in settings.

Remoevable bets will be great, looking forward to that update!

is adjust for DST set on no?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Dark mode <3

TalonMan said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I find the new forum index worse than the old one (and dunno if it's due to my browser, but I can't even reach all the tabs - most notably not the sales tab) and it looks a bit like everything and the kitchen sink got cramped into it, but apart from that I like the design.

The other thing I'm lamenting about is that for the platform totals now every region is it's own page. Why couldn't it be done like before, without having to load a new page every time I switch the region?

a) Screenshot of forum index?

b) Not sure I understand the issue with platform totals - I don't remember making any change in that section at all. Links?

a) Probably explained myself badly. So here:

It jumps directly from the above to the below with one click on the arrow, leaving out all the possible choices in between

b) Problem solved; it was due to the slow loading the new site originally had. Changing from one region to another took forever and messed up the chart in the meanwhile, but the problem's gone now.

Still, I think making it a table with selectable regions in one page instead of a different page for each region might be better.