By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 surpasses 2 millions copies, Fire Emblem Three Houses 3 millions, and more.

Tagged games:

Dulfite said:
Astral Chain -- 1.14mThat's a bummer. Seems to have lost steam. I REALLY liked this game. The art style, the dystopian city vibe, how clean and appropriate the game was in comparison to other punk games and other Platinum games, and the twists in the story. I was hoping it would do 1.5-3 mil lifetime.

1.14m is good sales for a Platinum title, most of their games sell less than a million.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Astral Chain -- 1.14mThat's a bummer. Seems to have lost steam. I REALLY liked this game. The art style, the dystopian city vibe, how clean and appropriate the game was in comparison to other punk games and other Platinum games, and the twists in the story. I was hoping it would do 1.5-3 mil lifetime.

A permanent price drop or a sale/promotion can do wonders.

I have yet to see this game go on sale.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Pretty pleased with the FE:TH numbers. It was at 2.87 million by the end of March, so this would mean it sold an additional 150k in the April-June quarter. And I'd be willing to bet it sold an additional 100-150k in the July-September quarter as well, so its sales as of September 30th would probably be around 3.15 million, give or take. Right in time for the holiday season. Keep in mind, they will keep going up as we get further and further into the Switch's cycle. So, depending on how well it sells in the holiday season and the rate at which sales climb, it may have a shot at 4 million. It might even do it before the next game releases, which I'm sure it will be for the Switch as well. 

As for Xenoblade 2, from 1.92 million in December 2019 to 2.05 million in June 2020, so another 130k in 6 months. I'm certain that Xenoblade: DE releasing in May gave it a notable boost. But 130k in 6 months (2 quarters) would mean it sold an average of 65k in 3 months (1 quarter). Assuming that same average held of the July-September quarter, that would mean it sold around another 65k in that time, which would bring its lifetime total to ~2.12 million by the end of September. Maybe a little less, since I think it got a slight boost to its average thanks to Xenoblade: DE's release - so probably closer to 2.10 million. So while its legs are not quite as strong as Fire Emblem's it's still growing at a steady rate. I think Xenoblade 2's final tally may fall somewhere in the 2.5-3 million range when it's all said and done, and Xenoblade: DE should be around that same neighborhood too. Though, I certainly hope it can do more than that since I think this series has a lot more potential and a much higher ceiling than Fire Emblem in terms of sales. And I say that as a fan of both franchises. I like Fire Emblem, I like it a lot. But Xenoblade is Nintendo's Final Fantasy. And I think current Final Fantasy level sales (XIII, XV, VII Remake, and soon XVI) is where Nintendo should be aiming for with Xenoblade. And I can only hope that they will provide Monolith Soft. with the help, resources, and budget to make that happen. 

As for the other games on this list, these were their figures before and after this update:

1-2 Switch: 3.18m (December 2019 - 6 months) -> 3.31m (+130k)
ARMS: 2.38m (December 2019 - 6 months) -> 2.47m (+90k)
Astral Chain: 1.08m (March, 2020 - 3 months) -> 1.14m (60k)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (NSW): 1.44m (December 2019 - 6 months) -> 1.58m (+140k)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (NSW): 2.65m (December 2019 - 6 months) -> 2.93m (+280k)
Kirby Star Allies: 2.93m (December 2019 - 6 months) -> 3.15m (+220k)
Mario Tennis Aces: 3.06m (December 2019 - 6 months) -> 3.29m (+230k)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order: 1.08m (March 2020 - 3 months) -> 1.13m (+50k)
Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit: 1.31m (December 2019 - 6 months) -> 1.37m (+60k)
Octopath Traveler (outside Japan) -- 1.68m (Square Enix: 2m+ in all regions as of March 2020)
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX: 1.26m (March 2020 - 3 months) -> 1.43m (+170k)
Super Mario Maker 2: 5.48m (March 2020 - 3 months) -> 5.89m (+410k)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (NSW): 4.38m (March 2020 - 3 months) -> 4.57m (+190k)
Yoshi's Crafted World: 1.84m (December 2019 - 6 months) -> 2.09m (+250k)

PAOerfulone said:

Pretty pleased with the FE:TH numbers. It was at 2.87 million by the end of March, so this would mean it sold an additional 150k in the April-June quarter. And I'd be willing to bet it sold an additional 100-150k in the July-September quarter as well, so its sales as of September 30th would probably be around 3.15 million, give or take. Right in time for the holiday season. Keep in mind, they will keep going up as we get further and further into the Switch's cycle. So, depending on how well it sells in the holiday season and the rate at which sales climb, it may have a shot at 4 million. It might even do it before the next game releases, which I'm sure it will be for the Switch as well. 

As for Xenoblade 2, from 1.92 million in December 2019 to 2.05 million in June 2020, so another 130k in 6 months. I'm certain that Xenoblade: DE releasing in May gave it a notable boost. But 130k in 6 months (2 quarters) would mean it sold an average of 65k in 3 months (1 quarter). Assuming that same average held of the July-September quarter, that would mean it sold around another 65k in that time, which would bring its lifetime total to ~2.12 million by the end of September. Maybe a little less, since I think it got a slight boost to its average thanks to Xenoblade: DE's release - so probably closer to 2.10 million. So while its legs are not quite as strong as Fire Emblem's it's still growing at a steady rate. I think Xenoblade 2's final tally may fall somewhere in the 2.5-3 million range when it's all said and done, and Xenoblade: DE should be around that same neighborhood too. Though, I certainly hope it can do more than that since I think this series has a lot more potential and a much higher ceiling than Fire Emblem in terms of sales. And I say that as a fan of both franchises. I like Fire Emblem, I like it a lot. But Xenoblade is Nintendo's Final Fantasy. And I think current Final Fantasy level sales (XIII, XV, VII Remake, and soon XVI) is where Nintendo should be aiming for with Xenoblade. And I can only hope that they will provide Monolith Soft. with the help, resources, and budget to make that happen. 

As for the other games on this list, these were their figures before and after this update:

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (NSW): 1.44m (December 2019 - 6 months) -> 1.58m (+140k)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (NSW): 2.65m (December 2019 - 6 months) -> 2.93m (+280k)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order: 1.08m (March 2020 - 3 months) -> 1.13m (+50k)
Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit: 1.31m (December 2019 - 6 months) -> 1.37m (+60k)
Octopath Traveler (outside Japan) -- 1.68m (Square Enix: 2m+ in all regions as of March 2020)
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX: 1.26m (March 2020 - 3 months) -> 1.43m (+170k)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (NSW): 4.38m (March 2020 - 3 months) -> 4.57m (+190k)

I want both Fire Emblem and Xenoblade to have Final Fantasy level sales. Fire Emblem is well on its way I think :D. 

I really want to see Link's Awakening hit 5 million. Such a great game. I hope it shows Nintendo there is still a lot of interest in top down Zelda!

I also really want to see Super Mario Maker 2 hit 10 million, though, I don't think it will. I have been playing it a lot the last few weeks with my daughter (who turns 4 next March) and making very basic levels for her. She is learning pretty quick. I am 'training' her to be good enough to play NSMBUD. I look forward to when we can!!!

1doesnotsimply

Three Houses is my favorite Fire Emblem. Beating out Awakening and Fates by about a million ain't bad for it.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Three Houses is my favorite Fire Emblem. Beating out Awakening and Fates by about a million ain't bad for it.

I'm very happy it has surpassed 3 million. It is one of my all time favourite games! Like many, Smash introduced me to the series. Though I did not play any until Awakening as back then I liked only a handful of genres. I really love the series since Awakening. All 3 3DS games have been fantastic IMO. But Three Houses to me was on a completely different level. I always enjoyed the music in the games, but nothing really ever stood out to me until Three Houses. Its up there with the greatest osts of all time. I am just kicking myself I missed out on the cd special edition.

1doesnotsimply

FarleyMcFirefly said:
JWeinCom said:

I'm very happy it has surpassed 3 million. It is one of my all time favourite games! Like many, Smash introduced me to the series. Though I did not play any until Awakening as back then I liked only a handful of genres. I really love the series since Awakening. All 3 3DS games have been fantastic IMO. But Three Houses to me was on a completely different level. I always enjoyed the music in the games, but nothing really ever stood out to me until Three Houses. Its up there with the greatest osts of all time. I am just kicking myself I missed out on the cd special edition.

The music is great. The best part for me though is the monastery section. I know a lot of people don't like it, and it gets repetitive. But, in previous games, you only really got to know the units that were on your team. Being able to interact with them outside of battle lets you really know all of the cast. Plus, it lets you improve them a bit so if you ever want to use them in battle they're not entirely pitiful.

Also, Edlegard was right.

FarleyMcFirefly said:
PAOerfulone said:

I want both Fire Emblem and Xenoblade to have Final Fantasy level sales. Fire Emblem is well on its way I think :D. 

I really want to see Link's Awakening hit 5 million. Such a great game. I hope it shows Nintendo there is still a lot of interest in top down Zelda!

I also really want to see Super Mario Maker 2 hit 10 million, though, I don't think it will. I have been playing it a lot the last few weeks with my daughter (who turns 4 next March) and making very basic levels for her. She is learning pretty quick. I am 'training' her to be good enough to play NSMBUD. I look forward to when we can!!!

Hopefully the black Friday promotions will help push Links Awakening past 5 million. 

It'll be $30.00!

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:
PAOerfulone said:

Hopefully the black Friday promotions will help push Links Awakening past 5 million. 

It'll be $30.00!

Is it worth it if I didn't really love the original?

JWeinCom said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:
JWeinCom said:

The music is great. The best part for me though is the monastery section. I know a lot of people don't like it, and it gets repetitive. But, in previous games, you only really got to know the units that were on your team. Being able to interact with them outside of battle lets you really know all of the cast. Plus, it lets you improve them a bit so if you ever want to use them in battle they're not entirely pitiful.

Also, Edlegard was right.

I spent countless hours in the monastery. I hope they do something like that again. I wouldn't mind a direct sequel, even though it would be difficult with all the different paths. I loved the Black Eagles' students the most (I love Petra), but I thought Dimitri had the best character arc. And his final battle was just so overwhelmingly good. 

As for your comment on Link's Awakening. I don't know... If you did not like it because of the inventory management then I would say definitely try this as it made quite a few QOL improvements. But other than that it is just essentially the same game.

1doesnotsimply