By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly results (Switch 68.3m, Animal Crossing 26.04m)

curl-6 said:
sethnintendo said:
Agente42 said:
javi741 said:
I have to say I'm Pleasantly surprised and happy that a simple game like Clubhouse games sold almost 1 million units in the past quarter alone and is now borderline at 2 million. I want more simple casual fun pick up play games on the Switch like we saw during the Wii era with stuff like Wii Sports and Wii Play, I hope this sends a message to Nintendo that there is demand for simple casual games like Wii Sports/Clubhouse games so maybe Nintendo could make a sequel to Wii Sports on Switch or something.

Agreed.

One Switch Sports with online + coop ( teams?, maybe?), leagues, tournaments will be great.

And more 2d platforms. One new AAA 2d Mario e and new DK returns. 

Yeah a switch sports would be nice.  Heck I just started playing wii sports and wii sports resort again recently. 

A new wave race, 1080, Advance Wars or Battalion, and F Zero would be nice for me.

A new F-Zero would be a dream come true, provided it was handled respectfully and by a sufficiently talented studio. 

And more RPG: new Golden Sun, new Mother, etc.

Around the Network
Agente42 said:
curl-6 said:

A new F-Zero would be a dream come true, provided it was handled respectfully and by a sufficiently talented studio. 

And more RPG: new Golden Sun, new Mother, etc.

Or the Grand-Daddy of them all; a proper Super Mario RPG 2.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 10 November 2020

padib said:

I have no idea how to follow-up. Firstly I am not sure you even understand what I'm comparing. You probably think I'm comparing Mario Odyssey to NSMB when I'm actually comparing NSMB to MK8 Deluxe.

With that in mind, what is wrong with what I said, and can you justify accusing me of trolling or was I right to say what I said about the level of intelligence of the people here?

You did compare them though through your selling power comment and that's he flaw in what you posted is your assertion that 2D Mario doesn't have more selling power when nothing of the sort is indicated from the sales numbers nor can you make a declaration on one particular case, NSMB is either selling better in each quarter than SMO or matching it and that's on top of the 5.8m it sold on WiiU, in total this time next year it would have outsold SMO. Lets start with NSMB and look at the quarter performances:

NMSB:

Jan - March = 800k
Apr - June = 800k
Jul - Sept = 900k

SMO:

Jan - March = 800k
Apr - June = 660k
Jul - Sept = 900k

Nothing here really shows less selling power over the 3D games in fact it shows the opposite in either matching it or doing better you bring up MK8D yet fail to realize it was a launch window title with a two year head start, NSMB likely would have outsold SMO by now had it also come out back then.

To be able to declare that 2D Mario doesn't have more selling power you'd also need multiple examples even if SMO did outsell NSMB the fact of the matter is SMO is the only 3D Mario game to get as far as it has in sales while 2D Mario has made that journey many times before and has again with NSMB in total already.

Xenoblade 1 has now sold 2.88 million between Wii, 3DS, and Switch.

padib said:

You're comparing the quarterlies of a game that came out 3 years ago with the quarterlies of a game that came out 2 years ago (Jan 2019). The game that came out 3 years ago, if it sells as much as a game that came out two years ago, it means that the game that came out 3 years ago is a god beside the one that came out two years ago, because to maintain sales after 3 years, the game has to have strong selling power.

Quarterlies point handled.

As for NSMBU Deluxe launching in January 2019, well one argument breaks your point: Animal Crossing was released in March 2020, which means that if NSMBU had selling power, at this point in the Switch's life, it could have been up there. But it's not, because it doesn't have the same scale selling power.

Launch date point handled.

So it proves my point, that 2D Mario is now out of date, and for Nintendo's standards, it falls short. As for Sony and MS standards, it's up there right now at 8M. But we're talking about a scale where games sell 15-30M, not 8-12M.

Let me strengthen my point even more. Mario Maker 2, the most ambitious 2D Mario game to date, sold 5.5M units according to the March 2020 results (I haven't checked newer numbers). So it's not just NSMBU Deluxe, but all 2D Mario is now unable to match the selling power a proper 3D Mario can produce nowadays.

This is why people are calling you out as you're using strawman arguments what exactly has AC got to do with the selling power between 2D and 3D Mario? Absolutely nothing not only is it a different game operating on different factors the sheer fact that you think bringing it up actually tackles any point is a prime example of why you got the replies you did it would be like someone using COD to compare to 3D Mario to reference it's lesser selling power.

2D Mario has always been a leg based seller that has sold over the course of a platform's life that's why it sold 20m very often unlike 3D Mario, the quarterly performances show the 2D game having more selling when we add up the numbers and over time it adds up to more another thing to highlight is you bring up SMO coming out 3 years ago but ignore that NSMB was already out on a prior platform yet still is outperforming/matching SMO, NSMBU was out in 2012 five years before SMO yet goes blow for blow with it.

Mario Maker is no different than RPG maker to compare it to mainline 2D Mario would be like comparing the latter to mainline JRPGs like FF or Persona it highly misses the mark as one is a full on stand alone game the other pushes user created content even then MM2 5.5m is on pace to possibly hit 10m which is the average for 3D Mario. That's another point you seem to want to avoid the actual series performance I highlighted 2D Mario's frequent sales at the 20m mark while on the 3D Mario side of thing only SMO has ever got where it is, NSMBD's 14m and counting is just business as usual while SMO is new ground for 3D Mario.

Around the Network
padib said:

People can call me out as much as they want, they're still wrong. If you can't understand why I compared AC to NSMBU, then no matter how many times I say it you simply won't understand. You argued that NSMBU had low sales because it was out last year. You were wrong because A) it came out two years ago, and B) some games that came out a year later destroyed NSMB in sales, which means that if NSMB was a game that sold well it would've, but it didn't.

NSMB being out on a prior platform was compared to MK8 Deluxe. I said that many times.

No matter, you will use 1000 arguments to fail to realize that 3D Mario is now a stronger brand than 2D Mario.

Only person failing to realize anything is yourself to the point you're not even grasping what people are pointing out or maybe you are but you're choosing to ignore it at which point that one user was correct in his call out of you. Lets highlight why your argument is broken

AC - You're trying to use a non factor in your comparison of selling power, AC is the fastest selling game on the platform MK8D the very game you say you're comparing to took years to reach 26m which highlights how flawed your mode of thinking is this is a flat out red herring with bearing on what you're arguing in any context. Here is a perfect representation of your AC argument:

You: Car A is faster than Car B.
Rebutal: Car B has beaten Car A in every race so far.
You: Well that Ferrari over there is faster than Car B.

Release date: NSMB did come out last year on Switch 2019 is last year so you saying that's wrong is baffling and the date was highlighted because every person knows 2D Mario legs sales out across a platform's LT which calls into question your attempts to not acknowledge this.

No 3D Mario is not a stronger by any means in fact trying to declare such a thing in the way you've done is so flawed it's more a wonder why you can't understand why you got the replies you did especially with you trying to call someone out with the declaration, I imagine years down the line you're going to distance yourself from such a declaration.

padib said:
Wyrdness said:
padib said:

People can call me out as much as they want, they're still wrong. If you can't understand why I compared AC to NSMBU, then no matter how many times I say it you simply won't understand. You argued that NSMBU had low sales because it was out last year. You were wrong because A) it came out two years ago, and B) some games that came out a year later destroyed NSMB in sales, which means that if NSMB was a game that sold well it would've, but it didn't.

NSMB being out on a prior platform was compared to MK8 Deluxe. I said that many times.

No matter, you will use 1000 arguments to fail to realize that 3D Mario is now a stronger brand than 2D Mario.

Only person failing to realize anything is yourself to the point you're not even grasping what people are pointing out or maybe you are but you're choosing to ignore it at which point that one user was correct in his call out of you. Lets highlight why your argument is broken

AC - You're trying to use a non factor in your comparison of selling power, AC is the fastest selling game on the platform MK8D the very game you say you're comparing to took years to reach 26m which highlights how flawed your mode of thinking is this is a flat out red herring with bearing on what you're arguing in any context. Here is a perfect representation of your AC argument:

You: Car A is faster than Car B.
Rebutal: Car B has beaten Car A in every race so far.
You: Well that Ferrari over there is faster than Car B.

Release date: NSMB did come out last year on Switch 2019 is last year so you saying that's wrong is baffling and the date was highlighted because every person knows 2D Mario legs sales out across a platform's LT which calls into question your attempts to not acknowledge this.

No 3D Mario is not a stronger by any means in fact trying to declare such a thing in the way you've done is so flawed it's more a wonder why you can't understand why you got the replies you did especially with you trying to call someone out with the declaration, I imagine years down the line you're going to distance yourself from such a declaration.

You don't even know how to count man.

NSMB came out on Jan 19th 2019, which means it came out 1 year and 10 months ago. That's 2 years not one.

For the rest, I don't care anymore. Think what you will.

Take your time it's a tricky one I know.

padib said:
Wyrdness said:

Take your time it's a tricky one I know.

You want tricky, wait till you understand this (after you figure out how to count)

selling today. Low numbers, but have sales.

padib said:

You want tricky, wait till you understand this (after you figure out how to count)

You keep going on about counting like that gives you some ground on anything when the funny thing not only is it not 2 years since NSMB released as it needs to be January 19th 2021 for that to be true meaning ironically it's your own counting that's incorrect I'm guessing you celebrate your birthday 3 months early but I also I said last year which is 2019, guess what year comes before 2020.

Also here's a tricky one for you NSMB total 14.1m.

AC New Horizons has now sold more than New Leaf and Wild World (the next two highest selling entries) combined.

It has a shot at outselling every previous mainline entry combined, which comes to roughly 38 million.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 13 November 2020