By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: GamePass is completly sustainable as is, no plans to jack up the price

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/29/xbox-game-pass-sustainable-with-no-plan-for-price-increase-says-microsoft-13499645/

- Not interested in making everyone a subscriber, mentions that they not only keep all the games available at retail, but have expanded where you can buy the games by putting them on Steam.

- Millions of GamePass subscribers can allow them to take more creative risks in games than relying entirely on a retail model.

- No plans to get people subscribed and then jack up the price, they like the value of GamePass as it is and it is currently sustainable.

- Developers are approaching them with projects that are more compatible with a subscription model, episodic like content. Team is looking into how this content can be played by people outside of the subscription.

- Game types won't be limited by subscription model, the GamePass model should actually lead to more variety of games offered.

Among other interesting tidbits. twitch.tv/itmejp it's a cool interview.

Around the Network

No jacking up the p prices.. yet.

I dont see it happening soon but i wont label it out.

Inflation probably in the next 5 years. But overall selling full price versions on Xbox and Steam will provide the short term profits along with long term revenue of Game Pass. Brilliant strategy actually

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

That's good to know. Looks like everybody wins.

Like I've said before, no title on Gamepass relies solely on Gamepass. These games still sell on Xbox, PC and sometimes other platforms.

Hence, its not Gamepass's job to fund content entirely.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Why don't third parties hate Gamepass? It seems like the subscribers to Gamepass will be dramatically less likely to buy individual games. The only way the price seems sustainable to me is if they keep it primarily Microsoft published games.
If the goal is to load game pass with a lot more third-party games over time, that would be a smaller slice of the revenue to Microsoft, and therefore I don't see how the price doesn't go up to compensate.
I certainly won't argue the value to ubscribers.

Lifetime Sales Prediction - 6/29/2013
Wii U - 38 million
XBOX One - 88 million
Playstation 4 - 145 million

catofellow said:
Why don't third parties hate Gamepass? It seems like the subscribers to Gamepass will be dramatically less likely to buy individual games. The only way the price seems sustainable to me is if they keep it primarily Microsoft published games.
If the goal is to load game pass with a lot more third-party games over time, that would be a smaller slice of the revenue to Microsoft, and therefore I don't see how the price doesn't go up to compensate.
I certainly won't argue the value to ubscribers.

They have over 20 studios now, many with multiple teams. I think they could rely entirely on first party and smaller/older titles like they have been doing and be just fine. I mean imagine when studios like Playground, Bethesda, Initiative, Turn10, inXile, Ninja Theory, Coalition, Obsidian, id, Arkansas, and Machinehead get into full swing next gen. There will be a constant stream of content.

I agree it can mean a smaller slice of the pie for third party in some respects.

I doubt the price will change until the service gets well established. It would not make sense so this new gen probably safe but whos to say after 5 years or better. I believe MS will tier the service off at some point which is also something Phil alluded to. As long as competition is strong in this space, prices probably will remain the same between competing services for awhile. Only when one of theses big boys pull away then things might get interesting.

You expect them to confirm that the price is going to change before they decide to do so?

hahaha

With the All-access program in full swing, I imagine the price won't go up for at least the next 2 years. Eventually it will due to inflation, etc. but Xbox is still very much in the early building sub phase so they need to keep the price where it's at for the time being.