By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: GamePass is completly sustainable as is, no plans to jack up the price

rapsuperstar31 said:
Do most people just buy gamepass and keep paying for it every month, or are people buying it for a month or two playing the games you want, cancel it for a few months and sign back up when another game or two you want to play comes out? I used to pay and leave Netflix years ago until the prices started to rise and I realized I wasn't watching anything some months. Now I sign up for it a month or two and have it cancelled more often than not.

Speaking only for myself, time is the biggest factor. I just pay for it out of habit even though I often find myself only playing one game for an entire month. But since the cost of that one game is usually more than the cost of Game Pass, I don't feel cheated or anything.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
smroadkill15 said:

Yep, the price of Netflix has gone up, but it's certainly warranted considering how much original content is on the service and still doesn't have ads. I'll gladly continue to pay for the service. 

Literally one game has released on Game Pass which was Episodic, Tell Me Why, and each episode was only 1 week apart. Compare this to previous episodic games that take months just to get all the content. This is also from DontNod who specializes in these kinds of games. Hardly the norm going forward for Game Pass. 

Not yet, but I quoted this
- Developers are approaching them with projects that are more compatible with a subscription model

Yeah sure, you'll get some games that follow episodic, but games like this aren't going to be take over the service. How many developers out there make episodic content? Like 3 maybe 4? How many developers does Xbox have that make episodic content? Zero. Really a silly thing to worry about. 

Damn GamePass creating the episodic games genre. wtf Phil

Thepoint goes way over you heads again. (Some) developers are starting to adjust the games they are making to fit better in a subscription model, doesn't have to be episodic. Game pass is having an effect on game development. Imo a negative effect. That's all.

SvennoJ said:
Thepoint goes way over you heads again. (Some) developers are starting to adjust the games they are making to fit better in a subscription model, doesn't have to be episodic. Game pass is having an effect on game development. Imo a negative effect. That's all.

The only example he gives of this is episodic content, which existed long before GamePass. There’s also no evidence that developers are “adjusting the games” for GamePass. He says he gets pitches from developers about games that work in a sub model (episodic games), he doesn’t say he gets pitches from devs about how they pivoted their game design to fit GamePass.

Personally I’m with with console users getting more access to episodic content that otherwise would be only available on PC. There’s tons of it there, it doesn’t make it to console because there’s no real way to sell it. With GamePass, there is. Either way, we’ve seen maybe one new game release in this manner? Tell Me Why? And there’s nothing really in the pipeline that backs these fears of yours up. 

I share your disgust at episodic games becoming the norm in the industry, or developers changing the core design of their game to fit a subscription. Luckily neither seem to be happening.

And the way he goes into detail about how hard it is to sell these types of games makes it seem as though you have nothing to worry about.